Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Merlin Kero Start

Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Merlin Kero Start

I have been looking for a 90N or thereabouts turbine, but if this is the level of support, perhaps the Merlin is not what I want, last post dated 29th August 2009 and no reply, shame I was getting all enthusiastic about the Merlin.

One other thing in case I get my interest back, I have only seen pic's of the Merlin with an external plug, is this the connection for the internal Kero start?

MIke
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6391307/tm.htm

Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Gaspar responds quickly to emails. Also there is a dealer in the UK, Rob Robotham, who could help.

So far I'm very impressed with my Merlin 90. It started up fine right out of the box and runs great with no unusual flames. This is my first kero start engine and the start sequence is about twice as long as what I'm use to, but I assume that's typical of kero start.

There are pictures of kero start Merlins on Jets-Munt's home page. The ceramic heater is internal and the only visible plug is the small one that plugs the old glow plug hole. Also it can easily be converted to propane start if you wish.

http://www.jets-munt.com/index.html?0.9988993077887046

Joe
Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
J.F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, i would agree, i always get an email back from Gaspar very quickly, always keen to help. I have no external plug at all, completely smooth all the way round.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 AM
BaldEagel

Thanks for the feedback chaps, tell me what are the cables attached to the turbine casing? are they permanant? or can they be removed? also is there a FOD screen available?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am interested.

Mike
Old 07-02-2010, 08:29 AM
J.F

External plug (multiplex style) on the case for kero power/starter
1 * rpm sensor cable
1 * temp sensor cable

I use the p60 fod screen from digitech, fits perfectly.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
BaldEagel

J.F.

Thanks for the feedback, if it was you that sent me a PM, I have replied and am interested.

Mike
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I have been looking for a 90N or thereabouts turbine, but if this is the level of support, perhaps the Merlin is not what I want, last post dated 29th August 2009 and no reply, shame I was getting all enthusiastic about the Merlin.

One other thing in case I get my interest back, I have only seen pic's of the Merlin with an external plug, is this the connection for the internal Kero start?

MIke
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry in to read that you got a wrong impression of JetsMunt customer care by reading this forum. As some of our costumers commented, we are only a email or phone call away and we try to reply as quickly as possible to all enquiries. Like almost all other manufacturers in this forum, we prefer a direct contact to costumers so that we can reply accurately to each query. In the past we had our own forum, but this gave more troubles than benefits, as many of the answers where particular to one costumer and other costumers where easily confused. My personal point of view is that when someone ask the question in a forum is because the manufacturer don't answer or he for any reason don't want to ask to manufacturer. In our case we always answer, so...

Regarding your question, currently all our engines feature internal kerostart, but engines can be ordered in gas start a per costumer preference. Currently the connections on the engine are as described, but this will change soon with a new ecu.

Regards,

Gaspar

Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
BaldEagel

Thanks for the reply Gasper, when will the new ECU be available? and can it be retrofitted to the current models?

Mike
Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 PM
PeterCantropus

Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly in september after jetpower show, not sure now. Is a 100% new system, no parts of current ecu will be used.

Gaspar
Old 07-04-2010, 03:29 AM
BaldEagel

Gasper thank you for letting prospective customers know that a new system is comming out soon, I have to admit I was very peeved with JetCat when I bought a P80 and a month later they brought out the P80SE I had asked the question about an up grade comming out and was told there where no plans to upgrade the P80, your honesty has made my mind up to wait until September and buy one of your engines.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Gaspar

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

MIke
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry in to read that you got a wrong impression of JetsMunt customer care by reading this forum. As some of our costumers commented, we are only a email or phone call away and we try to reply as quickly as possible to all enquiries. Like almost all other manufacturers in this forum, we prefer a direct contact to costumers so that we can reply accurately to each query. In the past we had our own forum, but this gave more troubles than benefits, as many of the answers where particular to one costumer and other costumers where easily confused. My personal point of view is that when someone ask the question in a forum is because the manufacturer don't answer or he for any reason don't want to ask to manufacturer. In our case we always answer, so...

Regarding your question, currently all our engines feature internal kerostart, but engines can be ordered in gas start a per costumer preference. Currently the connections on the engine are as described, but this will change soon with a new ecu.

Regards,

Gaspar

Contrary to my post above wich Gaspar answered I have now had nine seperate e-mails from Gaspar, he seems to be available at any time to his customers and answers almost by return, unbelivable customer service and a pleasure to deal with, will report further when I get the Merlin back.

Mike
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 AM
BaldEagel

Can't believe that it was July 2010 when I wrote the above, I just stumbled across this old post when looking at the Merlin thread, I apologise for not updating as soon as I got the Merlin back, but to follow up, the Merlin arrived back within a week from Gasper and he did not charge me anything for his work, not even the return postage, since the return the G90 has run without fault and starts on the button every time, its power to weight ratio is one of the best in class, I am now seriously looking at the VT80 as my next turbine, can't recommend Gasper and his turbines highly enough.

Mike