Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Merlin M90

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merlin M90

I have a Merlin M90 in a Skymaster 1/6 F-86. After about 60 flights the tailpipe (Tamjet) came apart. The outer pipe came unwelded from the inner pipe. I sent it back to Tam and he said it had been too hot. I have never had a wet or a hot start with this motor. I was wondering if a nozzle was plugeed internally in the motor would that make it run too hot ? It makes good power and runs well. Also, would you please include the link for the owners manual.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:36 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Merlin M90

For the turbine manual go to Jets Munt web site:

http://www.jets-munt.com/Merlin90K01.pdf Kero start.

http://www.jets-munt.com/Merlin90Gmk1.pdf Gas start.

For the FADAC manual go to the Xircoy web site.

http://www.espiell.com/FAD06.pdf

Please note not all the features of the FADAC are available with the Merlin 90 as the software has been written specifically for that turbine with the FADAC supplied.

Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Merlin M90

ORIGINAL: Bobneal1

I have a Merlin M90 in a Skymaster 1/6 F-86. After about 60 flights the tailpipe (Tamjet) came apart. The outer pipe came unwelded from the inner pipe. I sent it back to Tam and he said it had been too hot. I have never had a wet or a hot start with this motor. I was wondering if a nozzle was plugeed internally in the motor would that make it run too hot ? It makes good power and runs well. Also, would you please include the link for the owners manual.

Thanks.

If the engine is running correctly and the EGT is not excessive I would not be looking at the engine as the culprit. We have seen several tams pipes separate (inner from outer) that was simply inadequate welds. Unless the pipe had signs of internal overheating (blue or purple hazing or wrinkling), I would suspect the problem is a manufacturing defect and not an engine related problem. You can easily see if the engine is burning evenly by viewing the engine while running from the nozzle end (stand back about 15-20ft) and look at the burn pattern, it should be clean an concentric.