Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

ol newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
iowarocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ol newbie

getting back into rockets with my kids glad i found this forum
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ol newbie

I think you'll find there's almost no activity on this forum. For questions/comments/help re. rocketry I suggest The Rocketry Forum instead.

www.rocketryforum.com//index.php

My apologies in advance if the RC Universe forum folks would rather I not post links to other forums. I just want to help out a rocketeer.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
McCollum456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The life you want, digital photo frame will give you satisfaction.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: McCollum456

The life you want, digital photo frame will give you satisfaction.
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

Moderator!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto on rocketry forum.

A lot of SPAM lately, what gives?????
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
MJD

Honestly, while model rocketry involves things that fly through the air, it is so unrelated to RC* that I don't see how a sub-forum on an RC site could be expected to be popular. I've been a model airplane geek since the mid-late '60's, and have been heavily involved in model rocketry since the '70's and high power rocketry since its inception, and have worked for three major rocket manufacturers over the last 2-1/2 decades. Whoop-de-do, who cares, but the point is that over time my observation and opinion has been that while there are some people who get involved in both sports, generally they are isolated worlds with different people and different mindsets. I always joked that rockets are for people that can't build or fly airplanes. Please understand that is no more than a tongue-in-cheek comment from someone who does both. There are challenges in both, and up to the individual to pursue to whatever level they desire. But no matter how my rocketry pursuits peaked and waned over the years, I found model aircraft to be a consistent source of enjoyment and challenge.

* with the exception of RC rocket gliders
Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M, You sayin I can't fly!?[>:]

Well, uhm...you might be on to something there.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM
MJD

If I ever got my sorry ass down to a speed rally I could see for myself. But hey, if you can get an RC trainer off the ground and down again you're way ahead of the curve I'm talking about. Hang out at rocket launches for long enough and you'll run into some wingnuts the likes of which you may have never seen. And.. you'll also run into a bunch of great people too. I just think that model aviation frustrates the others into early retirement quickly because of the attrition rate and associated expense and frustration.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 AM
vicman

Oh, don't worry. I've seen some pretty large candles go off. There is a rocket club in Charlotte that meets once a month. Great guys and very receptive to anyone who shows up. The place they fly at is on the other side of the earth it seems.
I learned quickly that airplanes cost a little more to start but flight for flight are tons cheaper!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM
MJD

Yeah, when you tell an RC flier what it costs to reload even an I or J class motor, their jaws drop. I wouldn't pay it! I did way back when I first got involved in larger stuff, but did the smart thing and got into R&D and manufacturing. There was no end of "demos" required..

I have seen many, many failed flights involving $500, $1000 or more of motor reloads at regional and national launches. To me burning that much money per flight is like building pylon racers and flying them into a tree on purpose on the first flight, then doing it again, and again, and again..

Far better to be a spectator (or manufacturer) and watch other people burn up money.

And with airplanes, not only are they cheaper per flight, but you get to control them.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
vicman

I have seen many L motors and one M. He punched 8900 ft with that one. The coolest part and I understand it was only this guy who mastered it was the whistle it did in flight. It was some way he did the fins and the timing of them but he wouldn't tell all.
When he told me how much money he spent on the motor I knew right there I would enjoy pylon racing a lot more.
I still burn quite a few Estes C-6-7s though.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM
MJD

So much for the advice given earlier..

This is an email from 'Rocketry Planet'

I'm very sorry to inform all you loyal Rocketry Planeteers that tonight I am closing down Rocketry Planet. Mark, Brad, and I are not certain whether this is "good-bye" or simply "see ya later", but if it's "good-bye" we want you all to know it's been a pleasure serving you. If it's "see ya later" then eventually we will have some kind of archive propped up somewhere. There are a lot of independent variables: resources, time, expertise, cooperation from Virtbiz. I will try to get a site going this weekend to keep you all posted. It will be the Rocketry Planet domain, but it will be on a different server (probably Google sites or WordPress). That will be transparent to you all. I will just use it to keep you all informed.