Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Some OLD articles

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some OLD articles

Just thought these might be of some interest, or amusement to the younger rocketeers. They're from the period when model rocketry was progressing from strapping fireworks rockets (yes, I have a couple designs that call out for that) into today's compressed black powder and composite motors. Hope they come out readable. I've been scanning articles from many of my older mags before everything turns to powder.

Note in one of the articles the fuel. Powdered Zinc and Sulphur, compacted into a usually aluminum tube.

Who thinks the good ole' days really were?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85539.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	1579279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50065.jpg
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	1579280  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Some OLD articles

Cool
Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" good ol day's" ye right.
Its much easier today with reliable motors both in BP and AP reloadable systems then DIY ever was, and you get to keep your eyes n fingers.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wishing I still had a few of those old G. Harry Stine Air Trails article where he showed photos of the results of carelessness. If you tamped the propellant in correctly, tou had a great rocket. If you didn't, you got a discontinuity in the grain that gave you a pipe bomb. You might get a chance to CATO, but in your hand.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zinc-sulfur, or micrograin amateur rocketry still lives on among a few diehards. When they work they are tremendous smoke and fire fun, though extremely low Isp and performance compared to what is possible with composite propellants. If you can find Willy Ley's Rocket Manual for Amateurs (the title is something like that) you have one of the bibles on the topic. The practice motor is made in a Co2 capsule, and IIRC that is fit to a cigar tube airframe with optional mercury switch, AA battery and nose light all potted in wax.. makes me wonder if anyone ever actually built on of those.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
AH-64_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Rocket Manual for Amateurs" was written by Captain Bertrand R. Brinley and published by Ballantine Books. Willy Ley wrote a forward for it. Its 1960 price was 75 cents. Out of the group of 4 friends who read it, I was the only one not to get burned or maimed. Zinc/sulfur fuel in an aluminum rocket was probably the safest suggestion in it, since the aluminum usually melted shortly after launch. One friend loaded a CO2 cartridge with a pyrotectic powder. The resulting explosion and damage to his metal garbage can launch container convinced me to never use any rocket motor other than a commercially available product. I agree with your suspicion that the small test rocket fashioned from a cigar tube and a reloaded CO2 cartridge likely never flew - in one piece, at least.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43870.jpg
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	1676930