Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Astro-Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Astro-Blaster

Does anybody have a video of an Estes Astro Blaster functioning as a push prop airplane?
Old 02-04-2018, 03:33 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at Estes when it was being test flown with a Black Widow pusher, it flew well but not a power monster. Shortly after it went into production I built one with an OS .15 FP pusher, I shortened the can muffler and mounted it facing rearward. 2 oz tank, 7-4 pusher. Hand launches were tense, not that the prop ever hit my buddy’s hand, but at that elevation, pusher with no airflow over the controls, short coupled canard, we had a couple of boo-boos but generally the thing ripped. There is about 2 degrees positive incidence in the canard, you can leave it or reduce it if you want less speed sensitivity.

BUT, not one second of video, sorry. How are you considering powering it?

The model is short-coupled because their die-cutter couldn’t handle longer stock, btw. No better reason.. it would likely benefit from a bit more separation. But it flies fine as is. They generally used pretty heavy balsa stock too as a rule. Back then I gave Keith Shaw a kit and begged him to do an electric conversion.. the choices at the time being Speed 400 or Astro 035 or 05. Not sure he ever did. Nowadays I’d drop in 300-500W electric and a 4s 1300 or 3s 2200.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:23 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just curious. Thanks for the info. I don't have mine anymore, just pictures.