Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

havent in years

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 PM
TraxxasTrucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: havent in years

I believe you. I've seen two UFO's in my lifetime. The first was when I was waiting on the school bus when I was thirteen years old. I was not scared afterwards but I sure did feel funny. Like something big had happened and yet I didn't quite understand what it was.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 AM
mike2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum recalls my past memories. I used to be into model rockets ( Estes) when I was a kid, had all the new ones that came out, my favorite was a 4foot one I think called prowler that was a beast. Its funny this forum came up because I was just cleaning out one of my basement closets and wouldn’t you know a new unopened Estes rocket from 8 or so years ago.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
mike

digital backs family dentistry raleigh
Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, at our RC club's annual show this year, a couple of us launched several rockets during scheduled intervals. 2 or 3 per interval. Regretted that I didn't have time to repair the old Estes Heli I still have.

Now, I have for a lot of years cut out the center of my recovery chutes to reduce the distance the rocket travels after ejection, or used streamers. Just don't have a lot of room for unlimited duration around most places I can get to because of residential, commercial, and industrial devlopment.

Anyway, I launched my Estes Raptor, a tube stabilised design, on a C6-4 motor. Great launch, almost straight up. In spite of having a hollow chute, it caught a thermal, and when last seen, it was drifting East at about 500' and rising, about 1200' away from the flight line. Gone for good, since it was over a fairly dense patch of wood separating us from a fenced industrial park.

I do a lot of FF and SAM competition, for timed endurance with limited engine runs, and I never get that kind of performance when trying for an official timed flight.

I remember a discussion I had in the AF with an older sgt about UFOs. Told him about a sighting a couple friends had while camping out on Middle Bass Island one summer about 1959, 1960. The sgt told me that he'd been stationed on a TAC base in Michigan at the time, and on that August night, there had been nothing on radar, they did NOT scramble any F-94Cs, and the planes DID NOT return with empty rocket pods, no matter what anyone else said. The kids and parents obviously did not see any AF jets that night. And it was only normal everyday procedure that they were not to discuss any operations that night, and it was only coincedence that all radar operators nd flight crews that night wre immediately transferred to widely dispersed bases. He was laughing while he said it. Interesting that I only mentioned the year, he stated the time, month, and day.