Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

CAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 AM
j_chulski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAD

Does anybody have any links or tips on how to custom build a model rocket. tips on fin designs and nose cone designs. i was thinking about modeling one after the aim-120 amraam missile but my teacher did that and his tumbled everywhere and ended up hitting his car. i know i have to put spin on it which i plan on doing i'm making it in autoCAD first so if anybody has any tips for me please share them thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAD

Welcome!

And welcome to rockets!!

Estes made an AMRAAM kit a while a go. And there are a few kits out there of it, but most are Medium power or high power. I have the PML 2.1 AMRAAM

Try popping onto the rocketry forum, probably THE premier rocketry related forums site.

You should also look for the Model rocektry handbook by Gary Stine. Well worth it if you want to become an amatuer rocket scientist!!

You can also download a trial version of 'Rocsim' which is probably the best rocket simulation package out there. It might be costly (like, $100 or there abouts), but I believe there is a 'student' sepcial. This'll allow you to design up just about anything, and then play with fin shape, placement, arrangements, etc.. And will help you acheive the CP/CG relationship, to tell if the design is stable, over stable or understable (You can also sim how high on particular motors)

Ther is also Spacecad, but have't played with it too much..

Acad is great, but its only a fancy pencil & paper..

http://publicmissiles.com/ click on 'scale kits' and scroll down to the AMRAAM
http://www.apogeerockets.com/ for Rocksim
rocketryforum.com Duh! (A few of us here can be found there too!)