Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quest Flat Cat Booster Balance Point

I'm building a few Quest Flat Cats for some demo flights. Instructions say to balance for glider only as well as booster flight.

For glider flight... you balance the glider itself... all good there.

For booster flight you attach glider to the power pod and balance both together. With a B4-2 motor in place, instructions say should balance at the wing root leading edge and you correct by adding wieght to to the pod during this phase, not the glider which makes perfect sense. They only talk of adding weight to the front of the pod which would indicate a tail heavy setup. Mine hang almost at 5 o'clock.. quite nose heavy.

Based on the design..with the majority of weight (w/motor installed) being ahead of the leading edge (I assume the CG in boost mode) i don't see how it could possibly balance.

Anyone have this rocket and experience this or fly it in this nose heavy condition?

Links shows pic where you can see the model and most of weight ahead of CG in boost mode. Adding weight to the tail of the boost pod is still ahdead of the suggested CG..[sm=confused.gif]
    https://www.discountrocketry.com/lev...der-p-444.html

Thanks.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Quest Flat Cat Booster Balance Point

FYI... I got some good info from the Yahoo RocketBoostGliders group. iIf anyone is interested in this topic specifically, I reccomend you join.

Rain stopped this morning for a bit and though windy I had to give it a try.
    With Balance of the glider at 60% (between 50 and 70 from LE suggested by the thread) ascent was perfectly vertical with a B6-4. Kit calls for a B6-2, but it was nice looking in coast mode with the couple extra seconds at as i arc'd at apogee still connected, then pop. Approx 100' ' diameter circles that lasted about 30 seconds. I know the other two will fly the same way. The other rockets for the school demo this week are tumble, parachute and streamer type recovery so no isuses there.

Next year I need to add this to the mix
    http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Delta%20Star.htm

Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Quest Flat Cat Booster Balance Point

Free Map Card-5" HD Touch Screen GPS Navigator-Bluetooth-Multimedia-Ebook-Photos-Flash-Games-FM-Edog(SZC6005)