Go Back  RCU Forums > Aircraft - electric – Multi-rotors (Drones) > Multi-rotor Beginner
Reload this Page >

Question about 2-blade vs 3-blade props

Community
Search
Notices
Multi-rotor Beginner This is a help section for multirotor beginners.

Question about 2-blade vs 3-blade props

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about 2-blade vs 3-blade props

My first quad was a micro. Bad choice. Too small and twitchy to learn to fly with. Never could get the hang. I'm looking at the new Hitec 280 racer. For three Benjamins you get a fully decked out racing quad with FPV gear already integrated. The FPV Tx transmits video to a small receiver display attached to the controller. So, you don't get goggles FPV, you have a little screen, but all you have to do is fork out for a Fat Shark setup and you're set.

I've seen a video by a guy over at another forum who said he liked it and was a great bargain, but a "racing drone" it really was not. Mainly that the spec'ed motors made for fairly tame flight characteristics even in "full bore" mode. Which he said was "probably just fine for beginners" but that experienced quad pilots would probably find the Hitec "handles like a wet diaper". Okay, that's a bit harsh IMO. Maybe he was just being glib. But if any of y'all have experience with this quad, I'd love to hear your impressions. I've seen other vids and it seems to handle nicely in the hands of a pilot. As well as anything else.

I think I'm gonna go for one. I think it will be big enough for me to easily see and orient outside, with newer flight software and tamer flight behavior that it should make it easier for me to learn to fly. The built-in FPV is bonus, and, where I want to end up anyway, eventually getting goggles, if I can learn to fly the thing. The plastics seem soft enough to absorb crashes w/o damage to the airframe. Like every other quad, I imagine you just have a large stock of spare props. And so....

Anyway, my question: The Hitec comes with 2-blade props. If I changed them to 3-blade props, keeping everything else the same, would it increase the performance appreciably? (Providing I learn to fly the thing stock) I imagine there is a point where you have to consider the motor performance in that equation. As well as blade pitch and length. Otherwise you start placing too much load on the motor with too much prop, right? Like over-gearing an RC car.

Cheers to Ken and Co for making the new Multi Rotor forum!