Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Are you new to QUAD copters? And need advice stop in and ask me,

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Are you new to QUAD copters? And need advice stop in and ask me,

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
irish_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are you new to QUAD copters? And need advice stop in and ask me,

ORIGINAL: rem0.061

How does the yaw get controlled?

on a quad you have 2 props spinning CW and 2 spinning CCW, for instance front/back CW Left/right CCW ( in + formation) also some quad boards require different prop spinning direction so you would have to inquire for that particular board.

so to get yaw control example the 2 pairs of props slow down and speed up depending on your stick movement, so the thrust of yaw is controlled by motor rpm, the flight control software and gyros work together to achieve this.

for a standard tricopter setup. the back motor is sitting on a servo axis and the servo will pivot in the direction of yaw stick given. for a Y6 setup would work more like a quad the software would work again with gyros to achieve this.

so all this related to just simple speed of propellers working with or against each other to get the prop yaw movements. easy to say the 2 directions of props are always working against each other with a YAW gyro control.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
IKTIngo

I have tried to find a comparison spreadsheet/ overview of some of the most popular/most sold quad copters, but not succeeded yet. <o></o>

Looking for a set-up with all from:<o></o>

name of unit/model, manufacturer, supplier, overall size, flying weight, payload, approx. flying time w/std. batt, Main Rotor Diameter, Driven system, Servo, Battery, Control System AND APPROX COST
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 AM
CornMazeGuy

Can you recommend a ready-to-fly package that I can use for aerial photos? With the following in mind:
- I've never flown RC, but have mechanical and computer skills
- I'd like to spend up to $500
- Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.
- High altitude capability would be ideal.

Thank you for your help.
Don W.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
acidburn_2001
My Feedback: (5)

I'm not a %100 sure what your offering for advice....But I am a newb to quadcopters and have decided to build one from scratch so to speak. I have really tried to keep it cheap to find out if this really will be for me. Here's what I have

Carbon fiber X-450 frame ebay special
RC Timer 2822-14 1200kv motors
Rc Timer 30 amp ESC will handle up to 16 volts, has 5 volt bec 2 amp
Apc 9x4.7 2 blade props
Multiwii Se 328p with baro acc and gyro flight control board (ebay special)

I am running a futaba FP-R127DF Dual conversion fm RX

I have managed to load up the latest firmware and been able to get the Configure Gui to recongnize the board but have not been able to get the Props to spin. Please get back to me with any thoughts...I've spent 2 days trying to figure out firmware and the gui configure and am very frustrated.

Thanks Joe
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 AM
theslowstick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8SjjSuxC1w&feature=plcp love these little things
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
RCLT40

I just purchased a CR-230 MWC quadcopter for Xheli. The only thing I need to do to get it flying is configure it. And that's were I'm stuck.
It came with a manual but it's only minimal help. I'm sure it a Wiicontroler board that says X-Rock.
So I'm at the point where I have downloaded the configuration software MultiWiiConf_2_0 and it does run but I can get any respond from my copter. I should be able to start the software and move the copter and see changes in a graft in the software.
So I think the problem that the usb connection between the card and the computer is not working. So I'm guessing that I need some type of driver to get the board to 'talk' with my computer. Can you tell me where to find it? I might also say that most cards that I have seen have a serial port on them and therefor require another card to connect the control to the computer. My does not. I has a plug for a USB cable that connects directly to a usb on the computer.

thanks for your help
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 AM
airbornerob

Yes I am "brand new" to this quad flying. Yes I surely can use all the advice I can absorb. Very kind of you to offer your expertise! I bought my very first flying machine. It's the new "out of the box" ready to fly DJI Phantom. I am impatiently waiting delvery. Any advice you can kindly relate to me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 AM
kingsixx

Hey guys, always wanted to get into RC but for one reason or another either I didn't have the time, means or funds to pursue the hobby. Now that I find myself having an abundance of all 3 I figured hey, why not.

Ideally I'd like to get involved in FPV. My problem is that I've NEVER flown an RC aircraft. Not even your typical park flyers. NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA. My experience with RC has been limited to ground pounders. A couple of Traxxass trucks and one boat.

Lately quad rotors or multi rotors have been catching my eye. These seem pretty easy to learn on, aren't too expensive and they seem super stable. One particular platform that has my attention is the Phantom from DJI. Now hear me out. I don't intend on using the Phantom for FPV but instead I'd like to use it to learn how to fly and control these quad copters. I figure the Phantom to be a solid, stable model where I can learn the basics of piloting these things before I move onto something bigger like said the S-800, a Flamewheel or TBS Discovery. In addition to giving me some flying experience, it would start to get me familiar with the Naza system and the different flight modes it has to offer.

So my question is, does this seem like a smart idea for a new guy or should I go in a different direction all together? Any pros and cons on the Phantom? I don't know much about it other than what the website claims. Is there another quad rotor where I can practice my skills other than this one?

Thanks guys in advance for the help.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
HoverOver

Where can I go to find a step-by-step guide for programming a quad? I purchased (and assembled) a Dualsky Hornet 460 and have a JR X9303 radio.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
gurkburk

Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
gurkburk

Good for u!
I was also a complete beginner and bought myself a GAUI330x-sto learn how to fly. I´ve smashed that quad into the ground so many times, and it´s just to put it back together again. Sure I´ve had to buy some spare parts a few times but nothing expensive. It comes with four wheels that you can use instead of landing gear. I found them very helpful as I could let the quad kind of slide across the floor or ground as I was getting used to controling it. Less damage to the quad this way.
I also used a flightsimulator (FMS) which helped me a lot with orientation and just getting the feel of flying and maneuvering.

Good luck!

ORIGINAL: kingsixx

Hey guys, always wanted to get into RC but for one reason or another either I didn't have the time, means or funds to pursue the hobby. Now that I find myself having an abundance of all 3 I figured hey, why not.

Ideally I'd like to get involved in FPV. My problem is that I've NEVER flown an RC aircraft. Not even your typical park flyers. NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA. My experience with RC has been limited to ground pounders. A couple of Traxxass trucks and one boat.

Lately quad rotors or multi rotors have been catching my eye. These seem pretty easy to learn on, aren't too expensive and they seem super stable. One particular platform that has my attention is the Phantom from DJI. Now hear me out. I don't intend on using the Phantom for FPV but instead I'd like to use it to learn how to fly and control these quad copters. I figure the Phantom to be a solid, stable model where I can learn the basics of piloting these things before I move onto something bigger like said the S-800, a Flamewheel or TBS Discovery. In addition to giving me some flying experience, it would start to get me familiar with the Naza system and the different flight modes it has to offer.

So my question is, does this seem like a smart idea for a new guy or should I go in a different direction all together? Any pros and cons on the Phantom? I don't know much about it other than what the website claims. Is there another quad rotor where I can practice my skills other than this one?

Thanks guys in advance for the help.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
irish_

so many great cheap stable quads out now adays to learn on, best to go that route and learn your orientation, before you start a larger more expensive build.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM
jolin

I have an extremely basic question. Concerning quad frames and control boards. Some frames appear to have 50mm x 50mm posts placements to install the control boards while other frames have 45mmx45mm post placement. Also control boards appear to be different sizes.

My questions is can all control boards regardless of size fit any frame or is there an adapter to make them fit.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 AM
jamesknouse

Hello,

New start here?

I am sure you heard this before... but I am a videographer and I am very interested in getting started in multi blade copters for filming. I hate the price tags attached though. I would like guidance and where to start on building my own. Go big or go home right? I would like to build this... http://onlyflyingmachines.com/produc...ab-description

Jokes aside I am pretty handy with building and modeling. Show me some blue prints and I am capable enough.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM
55alive1953
My Feedback: (1)

Hi irish,
My name is Ted. I`m new to this so please take that into consideration. I ordered a Flame Wheel frame with a KK control board. Will that work with a Hobby King gps?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM
55alive1953

Hi again, have another question for you. I ordered a x-copter and it comes with a black board controller by Rolf Bakke. I`m wondering if a GPS could be used with it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
OnTheRock

Hi & tnx for your help in advance! I'm new to the quad copter and bought a 350QX that's been fun but I'm ready to build something bigger and that will fly longer. I just bought the Bumble-Bee from HK along with the KK2 board. It comes with motors but I need to get either four ESC's or the new Q Brain ESC. I also bought a 550 frame also that I will build up and would like to have some of the features the 350QX has like, return to home and GPS stabilization. Will you tell me what some of the better control boards are along with GPS, motors & ESC's should I consider?

Thank you - Tom
Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Pa-18cub150

I looking at building my first multi-rooter aircraft. I have flown RC planes for 8 years and only had one electric powered plane. So this is all new terminality so please bear with me.

I have been looking at the SK450 and the KK2. I would be using a Hitech Eclipse 7 and Optima 6 Rx

1. Is this a good first quad & flight controller
2. is the PCB main frame a good upgrade?
I would like to upgrade to the Dead cat conversion for video down the road. Can the KK2 be updated to GPS?

what would be a good battery, ESC, and motor combination for a beginner on the SK450
I am looking for advice.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Fred420

Started looking into these. I fly fixed wing and have played with helicopters. I was looking at this IDEAFLY from Hobby King. I am going to budget $300.00 for my first one and I would like it to be able to carry my GoPro after I learn to fly it.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ller_PNF_.html

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred
Old 12-15-2013, 04:13 AM
aframe2
My Feedback: (5)

Irish, I just bought a Heli-Max quad, crashed it into a wall, and now it won't lift off the ground. The left and right rear engines
seem not to have the lift that the front two engines have, the propellers will turn, but don't seem to have the thrust thats needed
for lift. Is there a repair for this, have you seen this problem before? Thanks, Aframe2
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
bates517
My Feedback: (16)

I am 64 years old and am concerding aa quad but I kneed top know how is the flame wheel t fly.??????????????????
Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM
wetzelpretzel425

I recently bought a proto X nano quad, is it true that I can use a hubsan X4 v2 radio with proto x? if so do you know where I could buy said radio?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 AM
uavplayer

Hi Do you have an online store?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:05 AM
rmsmit003

hi have a x525 quad using a kk2.15 controller with a dx5e transmitter I have a bad yaw to the left also should I be using the mix switch on my dx5e new to this but love it thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 07:37 AM
knifemaker

Default ESC wiring.

When hooking up the four ESCs, do I need to disconnect three of the red wires or just plug all four into the board. I am using 30A ESCs and a KK 2.9 controller. I will be using a 3S, 2200mAh 30C battery and 4, 370 size motors.

Thanks for any advice. Knifemaker

My son and I have been flying small RTFs for a while and are "movin' on up" to this 450 size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.