Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Rotor Concept Quad Copter HPQ-1

Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Rotor Concept Quad Copter HPQ-1

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Raycamaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Concept Quad Copter HPQ-1

I just bought a Quad RTF from Rotor Concept at the iHobby show in Chicago. I won't get it until sometime in November. Hopefully others will buy one and share their experience here. The RTF comes with a camera mount, LED lights, two lippo batteries, 2.4 radio, metal carry case, among other things.

Rotor Concept’s high performance quadcopter (HPQ1) comes fully assembled and 100% ready to fly (RTF),
HPQ1 is controlled by a 6 channel digital radio/receiver using the latest code pairing, for anti-interference &
fail safe, 2.4GHZ digital spread spectrum frequency. Other than flying for enjoyment, HPQ1 can perform
some real life applications for both commercial and industrial through various optional live streaming video
and on-board digital video recording HD camera systems. Features the capability to carry a maximum payload
of up to 12 ounces with standard blades or up to 1.2 pound using optional high performance blades. HPQ1’s
flight control board is intergrated with advanced sensors such as auto barometer, accelerometer, magnetometer,
3-axis gyro and inertia based (6DOF IMU) self stabilization system. Also comes as standard is the signal loss
and the low battery flight warning system which allow the HPQ1 to perform gradual auto self-landing, Fly
up to 20 minutes with the included lithium-polymer battery and with 4 brushless motors. Maximum flight
altitude up to 2,000 feet. Maximum flight radius up to 1 mile. HPQ1 can pair with any 4 channel radio as well.

Possible applications:
Real estate, rooftop inspection, private investigation, law enforcement, sporting events, etc.,

Built in safety features
1) Loss of RC signal
a. In case of RC signal not being detected during flight, the aircraft will enter the
security protection mode (SPM)
b. In SPM, the aircraft will emit a long “b-e-e-e-e-p†tone intermittently.
c. The aircraft will not fly until an RC signal is received from the controller.
2) Start-up throttle protection
a. During power up, if your radio throttle stick is not in the lowest position (zero
throttle), The SPM will be activated.
b. In this state, the aircraft will not respond to any command until the throttle stick
is placed in the lowest position.
3. In-flight Protection during RC signal loss
a. If RC signal is lost or interrupted while in flight, the aircraft will immediately self
land and an intermittent beep tone will also be emitted.
b. When RC signal is regained, thsi protection will be deactivated and the aircraft
can continue flying
4. Low battery protection
a. Upon detecting low battery, the aircraft will beeb intermittently while still flying.
b. Please land as soon as possible and replace battery.
c. If this warning is ignored, the aircraft wll slowly power down and self land. You
still have flight control during this time, but not throttle control.
d. Default is 3.2 volts per LiPo cell.

Technical Parameters:
Aircraft size - 410x410x140mm
Maximum epandable size - 615x615x140mm
Motor to motor - 410mm (diagonal distance between two motor centers)
Propellers - 8 inch frontal and versa professional props
Battery - Standard 1P LiPo 3S 2200MAh 20C
Aircraft weight - 430grams (without battery, receiver, applicable payload)
Takeoff weight - 610grams (with 3S 2200MAh 1P battery, receiver)
Recommended payload - <380grams
Maximum takeoff weight - 1300grams
Flight distance - Within visible area (recommended)
Flight time - 18-25 minutes using 3S 2200mAh 1P battery, receiver

Package includes:
HPQ1 (fully assembled)
Metal Case
2pc. Li-Po Battery
Camera Mount
Balance Charger

VIDEOS:
Videos are posted on our Youtube page.

Retail: $899
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38103.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	1677649  
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
tittelba
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Rotor Concept Quad Copter HPQ-1

Hi,
I bought a ARR version at iHobby and just started flying it yesterday. Besides coming with three clockwise rotating propellers and one counter-clockwise and having to wait until I get the correct propeller....still haven't heard back from Rotor Concepts about this issues, it's flys great.
Patrick Le, the owner, is very slow to respond to e-mals. At iHobby when I was talking to him about buying a model, he told me both the light kit and case were avaialbe for sale, now, on the website. As of yesterday, when I last checked, neither of these items are avaiable for individudal purchased. I has asked him twice before buying to make sure I could buy these items when I returned home and he wasn't turthful about it.

I only have a about 20min of flight time on the HPQ-1 but so far I'm happy with it. It seems put togher well and I got a great price (at iHobby) for a built model.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Raycamaro

I haven't heard anything about the one I ordered yet. I hope we have others tell us of their experiences with it. Keep posting. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM
tittelba

I flew it some more today and my son took video. I can't compare this to other quads as this is my first but it was stable and flew very nicely. No issues.

Tom
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Raycamaro

It looked great. Your son seemed to get tired toward the end of the video. I've been experimenting with a hat cam. I'm using a belt clip on the bill of the cap. I need to get the aim down better though.

I emailed Rotor Concept and hope to hear something from them soon. Thanks for the video.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM
tittelba

Yes, that was already an edited clip to remove his multiple camera shakes. I meant to link the same video but with the end, with the bad camera shake, gone. I've linked it now. He does pretty good as my video guy for 8yrs old
I plan to use a GoPro 2 for future on-board video. I'll be interested to see how the full kit HPQ looks.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Raycamaro

I think he did a great job also. I have a brother that turns off the camera (iPhone) before I land or crash because he gets tired.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:59 AM
tittelba

Did a little bit more flying with the HPQ1 and a GoPro camera. I ended-up not using the camera mount to attached the GoPro to the model as the GoPro with it's case is too tail to fit and I didn't want to use velcro/adhesive directly on the camera to attach it.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Raycamaro

I got an email from the company. They said maybe the end of November before I get delivery. If not, email them in December!! I plan on using a FlyCamOneHD if I ever get the quad.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
4in1guy

I just received mine. I am having a difficult time 'binding' controller and helicopter. Rotor Concept owner sooooo slow answering email I'm growing old waiting... perhaps someone here can help.

Here is how I am following the start up instructions:
1. hold down binding button on rear of controller while turning on
2. release binding button (left two lights on controller are on at this point).
3. hold down binding button in small receiver on copter while plugging in battery (to do this is a major struggle with one hand available for doing each thing, and making battery connection is so difficult... any tips anyone has discovered, please!)

At this point it's my impression the copter would go thru a series of several beeps (as described in product literature) and then copter would be ready to fly. I have not been able to successfully connect controller and copter yet however. The copter makes a few short beeps as the battery is connected in step 3, then after a few seconds just starts emitting long beeps which would run continuously if allowed. An RC connection is not established.

Any insights into what I'm doing wrong since all you guys are doing it right and flying!
Many thanks.
Mark
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Raycamaro

There is a video on Youtube for the binding now. I haven't got the nerve for liftoff yet but mine did bind following his directions. Make sure you use locktite on the spinner nuts because mine came off in a hurry from just spinning up the motors. If I get a windless day this weekend, I might grow a pair and leave the earth with it.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
kerryg

I picked one up at CES and its been flying great. It does take pretty constant controller input but significantly less than a Helicopter. I actually just posted a comparison between the HPQ-1 and the AR Drone: http://ardronetips.com/2012/01/rotor...o-weeks-later/
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 AM
SpatialZ

I am having same issue now as 4in1guy describes. Long intermittent tone forever. This occured today resuming use of copter AFTER the HPQ-1 successfully started to fly a first time a week earlier. Only ran copter 5 minutes:

[Warning: Do not assume any of the four supplied blades for your new HPQ-1 are secured with the nut caps tight as the blade replacement instructions indicate! If you just bought, reassemble tight with tool/rod and Loctite all four before use! Those lil buggers are black and never to be found outdoors if they fly off. $12.95 each to replace!]

Perhaps related but am curious about the supplied power module for recharging battery. Maybe my battery is not getting charged? Mine only illuminates "green". No "red" for "charging". A check with voltmeter seems to indicate voltage is supplied at the connector. I would like to rule out a low battery charge/faulty battery recharge connectors but that is hard to validate. What happens when you initiate the HPQ-1 with an already low battery? Do you get that long continuous tone?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 AM
aopen3434

I am selling this model in my storefor $200 some times I got it on sale for $180 nice eazy to fly craft chek it out http://www.offthegridwater.ca/
Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 AM
aopen3434

SpatialZ  that tone indicates low battery on the unit . you shoud be using a lipo.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 AM
SpatialZ

Thanks aopen! Indeed I suspect the supplied "balance charger" that RotorConcept provides is either faulty or inadequate for the job of reliable lipo recharging. I am slowly learning RC battery recharging is it's own world of gained knowledge or reading forums like this. I ordered an Imax B6AC+ Charger. Hopefully that should do the job or at least acknowledge the battery status.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Aopen describes, this quad is also known as the Lotus T 380 and the price seems to be all over the map. I'm not sure about the supplied transmitter and receiver, but there's a guy on another forum selling his with an AR6100e receiver for $200. On that other forum, there's a guy who posted videos on You Tube about his and just a little while later, couldn't get it to fly anymore. Support for it in the States doesn't seem to be there. For the guys who have them, are you happy with it?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM
n0kjf

I bought a ARF version. I want to use my Futaba 8u with a Spektrum module. Can anyone assist me with programing, ie which controls need to be reversed if any?

Thanks,

Lew Heifner
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 AM
lonewolfjaves

Hello Group-

I bought a HPQ1 from the Toledo show three weeks ago, and I've still heard nothing from Patrick or anyone at his team.
I paid almost $400.00 for mine, paid in full, was told 2 weeks for a wedding I was asked to shoot by a fellow patrolman, and that wedding was this past Saturday.... Not a reply, no answered phone calls, I've sent several emails and not even one has been answered.

Has anyone else received this repsonse from Rotor Concepts?

When I bought it at Toledo he was quick to tell me they were in stock and I would only have to wait the time to ship it from California, but that was weeks ago.

I'm beginning to think that my $400 is floating away like an out of control HPQ1.

I ordered the RTF with LEDLights, Camera Mount, the whole nine yards.

Patrick seemed nice, but again, their customer service is non-existant.

Anyone else EVERget an email reply from him?

With my job it would be easy for me to file a compalint or a non-payment charge but I want to first see if he will actually even pick up the phone or answer an email....

$400.00 to me is a LOTof money for this, so I thought I'd ask the group....

A bummer for sure...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Raycamaro

Have you checked out their YouTube page? You might try asking a question there. Did he tell you anything about the Version 2 HPQ1? I was wondering what the difference was from the Version 1. In case you didn't know, the HPQ1 is the same quad as the LotusRC 380.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPK51aOYSfc
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
eghershey

Bought mine at the LA Expo last weekend.
One motor was turning the wrong direction, I fixed that but one motor will stop turning after about 20 to 30 seconds. After a minute or so it will again run for a brief period of time. Switched motor with another one and the same thing happens so I'm thinking that the ESC is faulty.
Trying to call Rotor Concepts is a lesson in futility. His message board is full and he doesn't respond to emails. I'm afraid I made a big mistake in this purchase.
Does anyone use the HPQ1 with a Spektrum radio??? If so can you help me with the setup of this combination. Spektrum receiver and Spektrum DX7S radio.
I was overcharged with the tax also which is another issue by itself.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM
wofmn

8 battery s all is well so far hitec Aurora 9 radio fly's great for a beginner copter ..
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: lonewolfjaves

Hello Group-

I bought a HPQ1 from the Toledo show three weeks ago, and I've still heard nothing from Patrick or anyone at his team.
I paid almost $400.00 for mine, paid in full, was told 2 weeks for a wedding I was asked to shoot by a fellow patrolman, and that wedding was this past Saturday.... Not a reply, no answered phone calls, I've sent several emails and not even one has been answered.

Has anyone else received this repsonse from Rotor Concepts?

When I bought it at Toledo he was quick to tell me they were in stock and I would only have to wait the time to ship it from California, but that was weeks ago.

I'm beginning to think that my $400 is floating away like an out of control HPQ1.

I ordered the RTF with LED Lights, Camera Mount, the whole nine yards.

Patrick seemed nice, but again, their customer service is non-existant.

Anyone else EVER get an email reply from him?

With my job it would be easy for me to file a compalint or a non-payment charge but I want to first see if he will actually even pick up the phone or answer an email....

$400.00 to me is a LOT of money for this, so I thought I'd ask the group....

A bummer for sure...
I hope you got yours by now.

I did receive mine about three weeks ago.

Just prior to that I e-mailed Patrick but received no replies of any sort... the HPQ1 appeared on my doorstep two days after I e-mailed him.

So far the HPQ1 flies pretty well. I've put a good number of flights on it, with cameras.

I have not used the Hero Pro camera, but I've tried others.

I have a decent small camera that fits in the mount, that I've gotten fairly good results with, though I don't like the limited 640x480 video resolution on it.

I tried a cheap Mini DV HD camera off the net, but the vibrations resulted in very poor video.

The problem with the cheaper cameras has to do with the video encoding rate getting into sync with the vibration.

In effect the frame is encoded from top to bottom, but before it finishes encoding, the camera moves due to vibration.... this causes the "jello" effect.

The better cameras with faster encoding speeds can do this faster than the vibration rate and so are not in sync with the blade vibration.

-

Patrick has not sent the light kits to me, as I write this, but he did include a note in my box that they would be sent in a few more weeks.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM
eghershey

Lots of luck in getting a response from Rotor Concepts. I've sent emails for the last two weeks almost daily and no response. I've phoned about every other day and once got someone to answer and his only response was: " You have to talk to Patrick" "Hes at a show and will be back after the weekend". Of course Patrick didn't respond. I did finally phone and Patrick did answer and when I told him that one motor would shut down or fail to start intermittently, he said I need to buy a new ESP. I told him that there was a 30 day warranty. He started talking really fast and the jest of his jibberish was: "Once you connect a battery and bind the receiver, your warranty is no longer in effect".
I didn't lose it but I told him that I will call my credit card company and dispute the charges until I get satisfaction or return the product. He immediately changed his tune and said he would do a "GOODWILL" parts replacement THIS ONE TIME ONLY and send me a new ESP for the copter.
This guy is a crook. Short and simple, a flim-flam artist. He goes from show to show selling the copter but will not "easily" stand behind it or give anything that resembles decent customer service. I'm sorry I feel that way and for those who have had a successful purchase I'm happy for you but in my estimation, he shouldn't be allowed to set up a booth at any reputable show.
That was three days ago and so far I haven't received the part, but I'm hopeful.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
opjose

I guess "Goodwill" = "Honor Warrantee when forced to"!!!

Sorry to hear you were treated so poorly.

I've yet to see any replies to my e-mails... not a good sign...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.