Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Rabbit Multirotor Control Board.

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Rabbit Multirotor Control Board.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM
cmpang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rabbit Multirotor Control Board.

ORIGINAL: nebstress

Thats great cmpang, I liked your "Rabbits happy together..." video as well, very good!

What is the camera your using on your Tricopter?
It was a cheap camera that used on a car to record down the road condition while driving in case of any traffic incident...

There must be enough practice over the water before Iwill put on a better / expensive ones....

cmPang
Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 PM
cmpang

more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3bvi6kSZ8
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 AM
nebstress

That is great quality for a cheap camera.

In "Swan & my Sail Boat" I was half expecting something bad to happen, the music gave me the sense of impending doom.

Great work, keep it up!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Soupbones

Well I finally received my Rabbit today, and I must say it is worth buying from Aliexpress if you want your board cheaper and quicker. It came in 4 working days to Australia from China, with free DHL, which is about a week and a half quicker then any item I have ever gotten from China. Very pleased. The Rabbit board, sonar and GPS plus all cables were very well packed as well, which is more then I can say for some of the things I have bought from other China distributers.
I have already fitted the board into my F450 Flamewheel frame and its a good fit, though it will need to go on the small spacers supplied. Really looking forward now to getting this put together, hopefully on the next week or so, depending on work and weather, which is not real good at the moment here in Sydney. Lots of wind about the next few days. I will I am sure run into some questions, and hopefully you guys here will be a bit more helpfull then those on some other forums out there, which many of us are not impressed with.

Cheers!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 AM
nebstress

Hi Soupbones, that is great news, I don't know why people buy there Rabbits from anywhere else I suppose there is the fact that they don't take Paypal but I don't think that's a problem.
 I have one of my Rabbits on a DJI 330 Flame Wheel & it fly's great, I have put the FC on the bottom plate for protection & it fits really well.
 If you have any questions or need any help please don't hesitate to ask!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Soupbones

Hi Nebstress.
I can see why people use GLB for the Paypal, as its a much easier way to pay, but Aliexpress was still cheaper and faster with free postage. The better choice if you ask me. I must explore that site and see what else they sell multirotor related.
Thanks for the offer of help. I do have one quick and simple question to start. How did you mount your board to the bottom plate? Did you use the supplied stand offs or did you mount it some other way, such as foam vibration absorbing pads or just some velcro? I am a bit worried about vibrations effecting the board. I know there are ways to counter act vibrations, but I am keen to just get the board mounted, set it up and go and test fly before i start tweaking and and adding the sonar and GPS sensors.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
nebstress

The standoffs that came with your board are for mounting the GPS not the FC but you can use them if you want, I use 10mmx10mm Gyro Pads one in each corner. I think that they are the best & easiest solution to combat vibration & I have never had any problems since using them either with vibration or attaching, un-attaching the FC. (You can use just double sided foam, if its not thick enough stick a few layers together & cut to size, as I said I use 10mmx10mm in each corner of the FC(stuff I use is about 5-6mm thick))

Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Soupbones

Thanks for that.
I have some double sided anti vibration foam I can use. I also have found int he past with the other FCs I have that just mounting them on Velcro works well for anti vibration too. I may try that.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I have gone back to Medium timing and connected all 4 esc's to my board. The odd thing is that I'm not getting one esc warmer than the others. They all feel pretty equal after a good flight. I've also upped my motors to 2830 1120kv EMI's with 11X4.7 props. My quad is flying really good at the moment.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM
nebstress

Hi Randall, That is great news. I went back to just using all 4 ESC's to power mine a little while ago & haven't had any prob's either & flying great.
 What was your conclusion about the ESC timings? I thought about changing mine but have just left them on medium.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Soupbones

Well just an update from here in Sunny Sydney. Rabbit board appears to work fine now I spent half the morning trying to get the software to run. While I love this board, the software is rather amateurish to say the least. Had a tonne of troubles getting the OCX to register, and despite much searching on google for the error I kept getting, I could not find a straight solution till I read between the lines and figured a way to register it manually that worked. All good now. Shame the font of the software is very small as well. Hopefully some one will write a better version down the track, or better still, someone will come up with a way to add Bluetooth to this board and we can use a phone app to tweak the board like you can with MultiWii.
Still reading through tonnes of info I have received from Furnibird as well now I have all of Randalls videos on the hard drive here for reference. Big thanks again Randall for your videos, they are a big help while trying to get my head around this board.
I have it going now on the PC so its time to mount it to the frame, and connect the basics up to it and see how it flys.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Soupbones

Well I got it all together. I read may many PDF files and watched many of Randalls videos. Got it hooked up and got the ESC calibrated. I calibrated the horizonotal ( ACC ) and with the default settings took it for its first flight. what can I say. ...WOW. Even with the default settings it flew pretty good. The ACC was a touch sloppy but being the default setting is low I am not surprised. The thrust was very good and the TX responce was great as well, considering I had no Expo set up on my TX at all.
Just out of interest, is anyone using Expo on their TX at all?
I must say I found the manual confusing a bit, and especially their terminology ( I'm use to Multiwii terms which are pretty standard ). For example I had to search a number of times to work out where the hell is the instructions for arming the board. Lucky Randalls video was a big help. Thanks again bud!
This is my third flight controller and so far the best ( and thats an assessment after just one flight! ).
I'm going to start reading up on tweaking this bird and see hwo well it goes then.

edit:- Well I set the settings to about the same as what is shown in one of Randalls videos, and she is smooth as ever. I have to play around with the sensors now, but thta will come later in the week. I might try the ESC timing high as well, seems to have helped Randalls quad a lot. Does anyone have decent info on the GPS setup for this board? I have some instructions but they are very basic. I would like to hear others experiences with the GPS features.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 AM
nebstress

Hi Soupbones, Great to hear you have it up & running

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the software, mine went straight in (Win7 64) but I know others that have had similar problems, apparently there are two versions of Win 7,("The reason this happens is that MSCOMM32.OCX is a VB6 runtime and Windows 7 no longer supports VB6 so you have to manually tell it where to look when running programs that were written in VB6. Those who aren't having issues probably installed a program that installed the runtime automatically" (from RCG Gadget-Geek))

I use 25 Expo Ail+Elev, I know several others that use the same.

I'm afraid I'm not really into GPS, I have one for one of my Rabbits but have only tested it on default settings, thought it was OK but needs a lot of work (GPS is still a work in progress so hopefully it will get a lot better in newer FW's).

Do you have the 3 page PDF 'Rabbit GPS User Manual' or is that the one you are talking about?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Soupbones

Hi nebstress.
No I don't have the 3 page Rabbit GPS manual. Can you post a link to it maybe? 

As for the Windows 7 issues with the registration of the mscomm32.osx I had issues even manually registering it. Turns out that its a simple fix. when you manually register it using the command prompt sometimes the command prompt doesn't run in Admin mode, and this stop the registration and causes and error. This is what was happening to me even though I run as admin all the time with my log in. I could install the drivers OK as admin but registering the mscomm.osx would not happen. I was getting an error and read up a lot of info on this error and fixing it, but nothing actually had the fix surprisingly. The fox was simple. Run the command prompt as admin. I did that and it worked. Not one solution I looked at told me that, but many solutions explained that the file must be registered as admin, but suggested other way to do it. In the end that's what I worked out and it worked. I just installed the software now on my win7 64bit notebook and had to do the exact same thing. I've been playing with PCs since I was about 17 ( I'm about to push 40 years now) so I'm pretty competent when it comes to things like command prompt work. I do a technical job as well, so I think I have decent mechanical aptitude. I used to be into Ham radio as well, so I am looking forward to getting to FPV down the track and starting to work on getting the best signal.

Thanks for the tip on expo. I actually took the expo out when making up the new TX config for this new rabbit board, but I think ill put it in. Might make it just that bit more controllable and less touchy.
I have seen a few videos on the GPS and it seems to work not to bad in the latest firmware, which i flashed into the Rabbit board first thing. I am hoping the Rabbit team keep on working with this board, and improving it. It is a great board for the price thats for sure. Just starting out with a Gaui330x and building several frames before going to Multiwii controller board, and now this, I think this is a great board for the price, and way better then the multiwii I still have. I have a second frame and the Multiwii is now on there. Just need some ESCs and I'll have a second quad to fly, though I think I'll get another Rabbit for it down the track.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 AM
nebstress

I couldn't upload it here for some reason but here's a link to it in my Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vK...xEdy1ZWnc/edit

I still get caught out more than I like with these pesky Computers[:@]

Edit: Heres something that I put together a while ago, it for the Horizontal, Compass & Battery Calibrations:docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vKZRjfLgepcnVhV05kVDZEWlk/edit

Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 AM
cmpang

Rabbit one on one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-pFt07wIM
Old 05-27-2012, 05:22 AM
nebstress

Very nice cmpang!

Please can you help me, I have been trying to find how to use LED strips with my Rabbit, I can see in the manual that they use a small board between LED's & Rabbit, do you know or can you find out what I need to make one please?
  If there is any other way to do it I would be extremely grateful for any help, advice or instructions.

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:48 AM
cmpang

I'll try to ask Rabbit about it...

cmPang
Old 05-27-2012, 05:48 AM
nebstress

Thank you cmpang, that would be great!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Soupbones

Hi Nebstress.
I wonder if you could answer something for me, anyone in fact may be able to answer this. I am just sitting here studying the two documents that the links were posted above. Nebstress's calibration document and the Rabbit GPS manual. Big thanks to nebstress on his calibration manual, its straight forward and precise and easy to follow.
I wish I could say the same for the GPS manual. The chinglish translation is poor and had me confused in some parts.
Can someone explain to me what the 'loose rod' is? here is a paragraph called Loose rod and point lock. I am guessing point lock is a bad translation of position hold, but the loose rod bit has me stumped. This is what the manual says in this section.-

"Loose rod and point lock, Rabbit GPS works normally and open the loose rod and point lock
function, any time when you stop operating the remote control aileron and elevator,the flight
controller will be hovering automaticly in the current position, the horizontal position and the
height position can be adjusted respectively. If you open the press & return function at the same
time which has the priority."

I am assuming the majority if this paragraph says that when you are hovering and you let go of the elevator/aileron stick that it goes into a position hover that is controlled by the GPS. The translation here is terrible, have i got the basic idea of it, or am I missing something?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 AM
nebstress

Yep looks like you've got it, "Loose rod" is simply let go of stick.

Its the Chinese meaning "Release the control stick"..Loose = release, rod = control stick
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Soupbones

Thanks nebstress, that makes sense. Would be great if someone could change these manuals into plain english. I would if I had the time and the correct software..
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 AM
cmpang

news from Rabbit:

new firmware upgrade will be announced in these two days. the major change is to include more flight modes and in particular an irregular layout frame that can be defined by the user.... stay tuned..

Oop... why can't I upload images?

cmPang

Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Soupbones

Thats great to hear!
With flashign firmware I am sure I read that you should disconnect all connections to the board as it can cause errors. I this true? I just need to kow as I only just got it all put together.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 AM
nebstress

Yes, I think its best to always disconnect everything before doing FW upgrade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.