Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Rabbit Multirotor Control Board.

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Rabbit Multirotor Control Board.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Geotete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rabbit Multirotor Control Board.

Hello everybody,

A newbie question:

This was the schematic that I followed.
The transmitter is responding correctly in the GUI, the motors are rotation in the right direction.
Motor 1 connected on rabbit in M0;
Motor 2 connected on rabbit in M1;
Motor 3 connected on rabbit in M2;
Motor 4 connected on rabbit in M3;
Propeller in motor 1= 10x4.5;
Propeller in motor 2= 10x4.5R;
Propeller in motor 3= 10x4.5R;
Propeller in motor 4= 10x4.5;
The problem:
When I give throttle instead of going UP it's going DOWN, so I can't liftoff!
What was my mistake?

All the best,

Geotete

Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 AM
nebstress

Hi Geotete,

It looks like you have the props on the wrong motors!

You should have the Right hand ('R') props on the motors that are turning clockwise, ie motors '1' & '4'.

Example:
Propeller in motor 1= 10x4.5R;
Propeller in motor 2= 10x4.5;
Propeller in motor 3= 10x4.5;
Propeller in motor 4= 10x4.5R;
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Here is the onboard video. I don't like the "factory" camera gimbal so I put one of my own on it. This is the factory gimbal in action. Just not solid enough to suit me.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tLIRGlf1E[/youtube]
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Geotete

Thanks will swap.

Geotete

Old 06-30-2012, 01:07 PM
randall1959

Here's a video with my homebuilt gimbal. I like the way mine works better. It's more solid. Since it's bright aluminum I've got it off being painted right now so I'll post some photos when I'm done. Unfortunately it doesn't roll but that's not a big deal. I've learned to fly slowly and not rock the quad while I'm filming. Today it's pretty breezy so I'm still getting rocked around a little.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5-IjGGKDQk[/youtube]
Old 06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
pheonix74

Hi Randall
Nice video very smooth what camera are you using and where did you get new frame from.
Cheers
Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 PM
randall1959

I use a Sony Bloggie (the one with rotatable lense) and I got the ATG 600 frame from GLB. I'm using Hawkings 3530-14 1100kv motors with Gemfan 11X4.7 props and AGL Hobbies soft motor mounts. I need to take my DX7 apart and redo the throttle ratchet. I can't get it to set into one spot so I need to soften the ratchet way up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85434.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1777253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16461.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1777254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12560.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1777255  
Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 AM
randall1959

I tore into my DX7 and redid the throttle ratchet. Got to do a little testing before bedtime and that seems to have taken care of the throttle issue. Now I need to find some 10X4.7 props with large hubs. The prop adapters on these bigger motors are 5/16" and I hate drilling such large holes in SF props. I might have to go on tower's website and order zinger wooden props.
I also retimed my esc's to low timing. I read that this will make the motors run cooler and it really does. I have an overabundance of power so the drop was not even noticeable. Got my gimbal all painted up and also did some work on the way it mounts so now it's even more stable.
I've also got some dummy security camera domes coming to complete the new look. Somehow Tupperware just doesn't look right.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM
cmpang

ORIGINAL: randall1959

Here's a video with my homebuilt gimbal. I like the way mine works better. It's more solid. Since it's bright aluminum I've got it off being painted right now so I'll post some photos when I'm done. Unfortunately it doesn't roll but that's not a big deal. I've learned to fly slowly and not rock the quad while I'm filming. Today it's pretty breezy so I'm still getting rocked around a little.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5-IjGGKDQk[/youtube]
very good work Randall... please show us your diy gimbal..

cmPang
Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
randall1959

It's in the photos on post 182
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Geotete

Hello everybody,

You can check in the video, but this controller is great!
Today, finally, I had good weather, so I tried the rabbit!
It's a almost Plug-and-Play controller, and I'm very happy with the controller, but I have some questions:
- When I start the take-off the front have the tendency to rise more, so I gave more sub-trim, but wasn't enough, so I have to trim this, how? In a plane it's easy but in the quad I don't know... and after 3 to 4 minutes the thumb starts to complain! I have to compensate a little up and to the left, all the time!
- From time to time, the controller beeps, but beeps what? Is there any table with the beeps?
- The Flight Tools doesn't show what type of settings are we selecting, 4 axis if it is less than 450mm, 450mm or bigger, is there any solution for this?
- When I switch the height lock the quad never maintains the height, this is due to my config? What can I improve?
My configuration:

My DIY Quad:

The Controller:

The Maiden Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSd9ETgEf4[/youtube]

I will appreciate any help!

Geotete
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Geotete

By the way

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY !!!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
randall1959

During your learning curve, I would uncheck everything but the height hold box. Also, do the horizontal calibration but make sure the quad is on a very level surface. I do mine on the dining room table.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcaYq3BMmcg[/youtube]
Before you power it up after doing the calibrations, set your trims and subtrims on your tx to zero. Then try to find the most level place you can to take off so the accelerometer will have a good place to attain "level" upon arming.
Then you should notice a better levelling. Here are my settings. The "aux" settings are if you have your switches enabled on the right side.
One the other hand these are things that don't require a switch.
Stability Level
Dyna Stability
Balance Level
Yaw Stability
You can set these and they will not need a switch. IMHO opinion your "stability" settings are a bit low. This is the effect the gyros exert on your quad. "Balance" is the accelerometer which controls self leveling. 50% will be ok on this parameter as a beginning adjustment. One thing I've noticed about this board is that you can turn the gyros way up and it won't occilate. If you turn up the balance too high it will cause the quad to move slowly in any given direction. Less balance means faster forward speed.
The "AUX" settings are something you can assign to a switch. So if you want super stable mode for taking photos once airborne but then want to turn those off when you want to fly more aggresively you can either put the aggressive settings on AUX so you can bypass the stable settings or vice versa. I don't have my quad set up to go back and forth so I just put everything on stable and leave it that way because I use my rabbit quad for video and it needs to be stable all the time. I have a KK quad for getting crazy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17424.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1778569  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Geotete

Hello Randall,

So I did everything that you suggested, and now I have a quad much more stable!
Isn't hands-off, but for me it's great!
Now I need to practice!
The altitude lock is great and in pavement or tarmac works very well, but not so good in grass, but I was expecting that.
This is the video with your suggested settings:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf4ClbUuTJw[/youtube]

All the best,

Geotete
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Geotete

Well I've got to say!
The Rabbit Controller Electronics are GREAT!
Yesterday, when I was practicing the M4 was the first to hit the ground and I ended with a motor shaft bent and the motor support broke in one of the 3 supports, even the motor was off the center...
Just to make sure a did a quick fix in the motor with a zip-tie and with everything bent flies great! Stable and as good as new!
That's a great piece of controller!
New motor on the mail, but I will keep this baby flying like it is.

Geotete
Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM
747pilot
My Feedback: (4)

Just got done with a trip to Hong Kong and spending a morning flying with cmpang. Every copter in the video has the rabbit.
Can't wait to own one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAYw6xnPfXE[/youtube]

Pictures posted at my RCG thread. - Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
sberfield

New to RC in general and quads in particular. Just getting started with my kit-built X525 that I have put a Rabbit on. May be asking a lot of dumb questions! Lots of good info floating around including Randall's video tutorials. Also really like the new GUI software from a fellow over on RCGroups (KKUSA). Please bear with me if I ask the obvious occasionally.

Scott
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
pheonix74

Join here they have heaps of info and most of us here are there. http://www.multikopter.co.uk/forum/i...r-multicopter/
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41 AM
KoKopuff

All seem very knowledgeable here so I am asking a question that google can not seem to answer.  How do you return a bad rabbit flight controller?  the lights freeze up qhen the usb is plugged in and no response through the gui.  bought it a goodluckbuy and have decided that they pick their name right.  Anyway how would I go about returning this board?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Soupbones

Though I have not tried FPV, I would have though that orientation would be easier. For one you can see what is in front of your quad, unlike when your a couple of hundred meters away. I think it all comes down to being familiar with yoru flight area as well. With the OSD units you can get these days, purchasing an OSD with a GPS return to home is a must, that way if you do get lost flying around, just zoom up to height and flick RTH and the arrow will point you back to your take off point.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Jerry Campbell

ORIGINAL: Soupbones

Though I have not tried FPV, I would have though that orientation would be easier. For one you can see what is in front of your quad, unlike when your a couple of hundred meters away. I think it all comes down to being familiar with yoru flight area as well. With the OSD units you can get these days, purchasing an OSD with a GPS return to home is a must, that way if you do get lost flying around, just zoom up to height and flick RTH and the arrow will point you back to your take off point.

Now that my bird actually flies I will put the flight camera on and give it a whirl. I have a cheapo osd without a home arrow so I won't be putting it on my quad. I think I'll give my money to Remzibi.
FPV for me means flying in unknown areas. So it's of great importance to have all the info on the screen to be able to return home or to be able to take my handheld gps and go find my quad. I am very familiar with my training area so to begin with I don't need an osd. I am trying to get my fpv training rig together by the first of November at which time We will take our bus and leave Oregon and head south until the end of March. We go to places that have no services and no roads. Might be in the jungles of Mexico or the Deserts of the southwest US or who knows where. I do know there will be no help I am on my own. I have to have the knowledge and spare parts to fix anything. We have done this for 40 years. I will be 68 in a couple of weeks so there are places I just can't go but I can send my eyes over there and check it out.
Jerry
Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 AM
randall1959

I hate to admit this but it's been pointed out to me that ever since I've had my Rabbit, I've been flying it with the accelerometers turned OFF Having said that, it's apparent that A. I'm not a rocket scientist, and B This is one VERY stable board because it flies so well just on gyros. But having added accelerometers I can see a definite change. Not terribly sure it's for the better but at least now it completely stops if I let go of the sticks.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYSu_jnHy6s[/youtube]
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM
rocket_col

Hi all. Just a quick hello to you all. Got myself a hex and arabbit, as was bored with flying what I used to.Rabbitwith Sonar and GPS. turnegy 30a ESC and 1000 mprors 8 x 4.5 props
A couple of quick questions.
1. done everything i should have and had a good stable flight. was pleased but was in basic mode. happy camper!!
2) finaly got GPS to work. connected up as per instructions but would not work at first. had to swap tx-rx and rx-tx not rx-rx tx-tx as I had it. then stripped down and put back on hex (i then swapped 5v and grd... bugger) ok new one on way.
3) lights on board are as viewed from rear, took me a while to sort that.

ok I now have problems????
1. when i plug in computer the esc beep very quiet. all in time then slowly go out of phase?I have done calibration again but still does it.

2. on using the Hex it now yaws badly on ground and trim will not stop it. also tries to move to right.

3. I push stick to stop yaw, then throttle up it will not lift off??? I calibrated throtle again still no joy. I turn off all extras (sonar gps) but no joy.

Any ideas please did blowing the GPS screw something else up? running 1.22
getting a bit fed up now. no idea what it is. Thanks

Colin