Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

I want a Quad Copter...BUILD or BUY? Please help.

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

I want a Quad Copter...BUILD or BUY? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I want a Quad Copter...BUILD or BUY? Please help.

Hey everyone I'm interested in getting a Quad Copter (Quadracopter?) whatever they are called. I first saw my nephew with a Parrot AR Drone he controlled from his I-Phone, pretty cool but expensive initial investment and ythe camera image looks good but i'd like better if possible.

So i'm at a crossroad, build or buy one? Building one I have seen some very simple designs using foam board, another guy used a hula hoop etc. I kind of like the foam board route because i'm quite sure I will crash it and then will need to repair it lol. Saw a lot of cheap motors on Hobbyking website with controllers etc...

MY GOAL: Basically I want to build a QuadCopter that I can eventually link some Shark Goggles to and fly from my house to my Parents house approx 1/2 mile away. (not getting the goggles yet but would like to add them later) Is this possible? I just find it hilarious if my wife needed an egg or two for cooking and wanted to borrow one from my parents instead of going to the store.... if I could simply throw the quad copter outside and fly it to pick up some eggs lol. My wife thought that would be funny and basically challenged me to build something like that she says thats not possible but would be a cool addition to my toys. Wife says no more fast RC Trucks because I have to many to which I promised her...however I never said Quad Copter....I told her i'm specific lol

Any recommended ready to go Quad Copters, or should I build my own? I'd appreciate any and all help. I'll even post build pics and videos when I am finished with this project..thanks in advance..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
setho77
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I want a Quad Copter...BUILD or BUY? Please help.

both! the only way you will really learn how anything works is to build it from scratch! if you crash one you bought assembled, you will have no idea how to put it together when you need to. Start small, and learn on one thats hard. then when you have one that is 'good' or better then you'll know exactly how to park it when you need it. everyone is concerned with getting in the air and moving around and flying the way they want.... dont do this. its the worst thing you can do! HOVER, HOVER, HOVER ! do nothing else but keep it still for a month! haha.. i learned how to fly in a two car garage. a lot of dings in the drywall and about 80 sets of props later, i can put a 450 through a house and fly in hallways llke you would walk through it!!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
JUCD VPR

So I thought about picking up a Blade MQX to start. Then build a larger Quadcopter myself. Possibly with foam board but who knows yet really.

How is the Blade MQX? For a mini quad copter?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
JUCD VPR

Is there a better place to discuss quadcopters?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
KRASHKOPTER
My Feedback: (1)

I picked up an MQX a month ago and am having a great time with it....I would think it would be a good way for you to become comfortable with quads on the whole. It's very tough and parts are easy to find and inexpensive too. As for a better place for quad talk...try this.... www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_487/tt.htm

KRASH

Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: KRASHKOPTER

I picked up an MQX a month ago and am having a great time with it....I would think it would be a good way for you to become comfortable with quads on the whole. It's very tough and parts are easy to find and inexpensive too. As for a better place for quad talk...try this.... www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_487/tt.htm

KRASH

Awesome thanks for the info. I just bought a Blade MQX off e-bay for a total of $100 RTF version with remote. Thought I snagged a pretty good deal so I jumped on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
JUCD VPR

Wow.... not a lot of info on this site. Guess i'll go elsewhere to talk quad builds.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Rainman-ACRF

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Wow.... not a lot of info on this site. Guess i'll go elsewhere to talk quad builds.

Well to be honest, it's not an issue of 'the best build' because you can buy a useful set of Y, quad or even hex mechanics including ESC's, motors and props for not a whole lot of cash - the issue is that the expensive part is NOT the mechanics (unless you go for a full carbon fibre professional AP/UAV drone rig). You can buy a brand new DJI F450 kit very reasonably, and in fact by the time you've bought your motors, etc, you could almost argue that it's just not worth building your own.

Where the money goes into your quad AP rig is actually your flight controller. Look at the type of capabilities you want from it and then go look at whats available. For a flight controller that will just allow you to get your quad off the ground and fly it's not particularly expensive either, but the moment you want barametrics (altitude hold), GPS (for position hold and return to base) then the price starts to go up and those features alone could quadruple the initial outlay for your basic mechanics.

The lack of response is probably due to not asking the right question - because building your own or buying a kit makes almost no difference in the grand scheme of things. You're going to be shelling out of a decent flight controller and thats the bit thats gonna hurt. So really, it's not about what you want to build, it's about what you want to do with your build. If you just want to strap on a camera and fly around and get some amazing footage from your existing GoPro or whatever you're going to strap to it then almost any flight controller will do. If you want to mount your cam in a 2-axis stabilised gimbal, make it hover 'hands off' and then come home again on it's own, then you need to budget £300 (US $400) for a suitable flight controller. If you want to do the whole UAV thing then look to spend thousands, and if you want to add FPV capability then add that on too ... you get the idea.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM
JUCD VPR

Thanks, old thread but since then I have the MQX, lots of fun to fly and learn on. I've got it mastered with flips, rolls etc.

I also have the DJI Phantom and I absolutely love it, fat Shark goggles, shew planner antennas etc. TONS of fun. I recommend both of them

However banggood.com has lots of inexpensive Quads so if I had to do it over again I would buy the V959 Quad with Mode 2 camera instead of an Blade MQX, only $63 bucks compared to $100+ for the MQX.