Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Blade 350 QX accessories

Horizon sent out a Sneak Peek product announcement to their customers describing their Blade 350 QX. It is capable of carrying a GoPro and will return to its starting point with the flip of a switch. Available versions are RTF and BNF with smart, stability, and agility flight modes. The planned release date is this fall. The scant information provided about the Blade 350 QX looked pretty good in comparison to a DJI Phantom. However, the Phantom has 2 accessories that the 350 QX appears to lack. They are blade guards and bright lights. The Phantom's optional blade guards allow it to bump into things at low speed without damage. Horizon may have included bright lights in their design of the 350 QX, but I could not determine that from the announcement. A good set of lights would help orient the 350 QX in flight day or night. The Sneak Peek did say that the model shown was a prototype. Perhaps they will consider changes before they release the final version. If so, I think that they ought to offer blade guards and bright lights with the 350 QX. Does anyone else have any suggestions for 350 QX accessories?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Blade 350 QX accessories

Sounds interesting...that pricing can't be denied!
    Baja SC / Redcat Rampage MT / FG Marder(XTM) / Xaircraft X450Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Blade 350 QX accessories

I just found a thread about the 350 QX on RCGroups in their multirotor forum with additional information and comments. The BNF version has a list price of $420 and as for blade guards, the 350 QX has intelligent motor control that stops the propellers on impact. That feature will save the ESCs, but it won't stop the bleeding if a prop cuts your leg. I, for one, would want blade guards. As for lights, there do not seem to be any in evidence in the posted flight videos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just bought my QX was very easy to program right out of box, and my first flight was in 10 to 15 mph winds, a little trial and error. I attached the go pro and got some great video. All this was done within a two hour window. Including charging batt. The lighting was great flew it at dusk. And the return home was wonderful. Really looking to take it to the next level.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    any help binding would be great... All the directions show the DX radios. I am useing a 9303 JR radio.... I can NOT get it to bind.....

Help

Mark
    JPO District III rep - Turbine CD,
    www.jpnepa.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Mark not for sure but I think it only binds with a spectrum good luck

I found this on line.

I had programmed my radio using the DX7 settings. I was having some trouble getting it to bind so called HH tech support. They sent me the settings they are using with the 9303 and I used them and they have been working great. I will post them when I figure out how to convert the file. When binding the 350QX after plugging in the battery and turning on the switch the led on the 350QX will flash fast blue indicating you are in bind mode. To get mine to bind I had to remove the battery from the compartment and actually touch the transmitter antenna to the board. It then bound right up. Once bound the green light was flashing meaning it was looking for satellites. It took about 30 seconds to go solid green and ready for flight. Before I took off for the first time I moved the flight mode switch to check the led light on the 350QX matched what flight mode I was in. All was good so time for the first flight. To arm the motors push the rudder stick left then right and back to center. At that point the motors armed and then it is a matter of just advancing the throttle. Lift off was without incident and it went into a very nice and stable hover. I moved it around some and checked out the safe circle and it works as advertised. I then switched into stability mode and I immediately noticed the controls are much more responsive. In this mode the safe circle is disengaged. It does fly very good in this mode and picks up speed in a hurry, all the while being very controllable. Next I tried agility mode and the controls are very quick. I did not try any loops or rolls, but it felt like it would easily do them. Last thing I checked out was the return to home feature. It worked very good and landed about 3 feet from where it took off. With the 9303 to shut down the motors just lower the throttle trim all the way. I am now using the flight mode switch for the 3 flight modes. The flight modes are indicated by a green solid light means you are in smart mode, blue solid means you are in stability mode, and red solid means you are in agility mode. All in all I think Blade has another huge hit on their hands. This thing is a blast to fly. Only downside I can see is the charger has alligator clips on it. The charger works well and I checked the battery voltage with a cell match and all 3 cells where 4.19, so it did do a good job. I hope you enjoy the 350QX as much as I am. Chuck

Hopefully it will help.
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I would like more flight time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I bought my 350QX yesterday as a bind and fly. Read up on the 9303 setup, and it works with the 9503 DSMX as well.

Flown three battery cycles so far, and even as an aircraft pilot, I am getting the hang of it. Kudos for the prop strike protection, dumb thumbed it into a shrub, and it shut off as advertised. Checked the props, adjusted one for tracking, and back into the air it went. Can't wait to get my Go Pro on it and shoot some video!

Here is a link to the 9303 setup I used:
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...730&PG=1&IN=10

I skipped assigning a switch for the throttle cut, and instead adjusted the throttle travel to allow the motors to arm at full up trim, and cut off at full down trim, just like my glow and gas planes. I also set my rudder travel to 115% as I read elsewhere this makes the left/right rudder movement to arm the motors work better.

Still figuring out the return to home function, but the safe circle is cool, especially for beginners. This thing will be a big hit.
    Last edited by BGCombs; 09-22-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Our local hobby shop had his set up in his 9303, we did a model transfer radio to radio and I have a blast flying it. after our monthly meeting the other night, 3 of us flew them in the dark for a few hours. Night flying is great with the lighting that is installed..

Mark
    JPO District III rep - Turbine CD,
    www.jpnepa.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    i did this setup on my 9303. Everything seemed to work OK except for the Return to Home. Gear switch is return to home. Am i missing something?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    One thing about the QX that recommends it over the phantom, or the walkera for that matter, is it's shape. I didn't realize it in advance, but when you're high up, the asymetrical shape of the 350 really helps with orientation. Even if you can't see the lights, you can always see the shape. Wouldn't work so well with a straight "X" shaped quad... and even with lights, when you're 200' or so up, it's hard to see the lights in the daytime.
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #84

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I didn't set mine up on the same radio but the light on the quade will flash in the return to home mode
    also you can call teck support

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have had my 350 for some time now
    even crashed into a tree, still working great
    i have literally flown it out of site and it returned home
    there was a recall on the blades, so far I haven't seen
    them in the mail it does work as advertised have fun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Glad to read that everyone is having a good time with the 350 QX. Finally bought one this month and have a question to ask about recovery systems. I bought a Loc8tor set from B&H photo and had planned to stick one of its transmitters on my 350. When queried, the Bluetooth emitter will broadcast a signal that is picked up by a credit card-sized receiver that "points" towards the emitter if it is within 400 feet of the receiver. I am planning to do an aerial survey of a tree farm and am worried that the Bluetooth gadget may not help if my 350 goes down in the woods. It may not have enough range and it may interfere with the GPS of the 350 based on interference reports posted regarding GoPro 3 Bluetooth interfering with the DJI Phantom GPS. Is anyone using some of the other recovery systems with their aircraft? If so, what do you like about your system? Have you had any interference problems?

Guys, I've got this quad directly from Horizon Hobby, i have 30 models of planes, jets, drones and helis, an experienced flyer. Don't buy this quad. Buy something else maybe little more expensive but safe. This will come down the sky unexpectedly and become dangerous for property or people and put you in big trouble. Is known that it has prop issue, it just felt a part in a regular flight not even in agility mode. Crashing into anything. Send it back to repair if you find it, and big bills from Horizon Hobbies that is not taking responsibility. It upend to me. Felt down the sky, i have a go-pro video. Thank god it felt into the grass between two small houses. No damages to properties or people! I fix it, believe me, i build jets. I know how to fix thinks like this. First test, one prop exploded in my face. It might be the brush-less motor that got damaged in the crash and is not balanced and the vibration will destroy the blade? Maybe! I decide to look for reviews, guys look always for reviews in forums before take any decision or buy anything new, never be stubborn or instinctive in this hobby, in my humble opinion. Should i buy new motor? 50 bucks each. I already spent 100 bucks of parts and 4 hours repair. I became aware the props is a COMMUNE ISSUE!!! All the Blade 350 QX are coming down the sky just for same reason!!!!!. I decide not to fly this like this and before just throw it away i am sending it to Horizon Hobbies and see if they fix it under warranty and i send the video of crash that shows that i did absolutely nothing wrong. Quiet flight and boom! Down! OK they tare it a part after two week a phone call. If i want to repair it it 200 bucks. What??? Why??? I told them no way, i buy different model, Phantom or so! Send it back! They said to me, yes we will send it back in pieces we will not reassemble it since you refuse the repair it will come in a box all in pieces! This is crazy! I told them just throw it in the garbage. I spent the last 10 years thousands of dollars with their products for become an experienced pilot and see the results!!! Crazy! Guys don't buy this quad! Stay out of trouble and don't get Horizon Hobbies products they do absolutely nothing to please a costumer and offer good consumer support, suck!
    Happy fly!
    Last edited by Bondmiamifly; 02-18-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Bodmiamifly, Sorry to hear that your crash was due to a prop failure. After market prop adapters are available for those who want them. The 350 QX is a very sophisticated toy that in no way resembles what I used to fly in the school yard of Coral Way Elementary back when it still had a school yard. It is a good thing that ;you have enough space to fly jets without being a member of a club. Miami is a pretty crowded place these days. My biggest worry about quads like the 350 is that people will try to fly them in places that are too small for something as heavy as a 350. The AMA suggests that you fly aircraft that weigh more than 23 ounces in a restricted access area such as a flying club in order to minimize danger to the public. I live next to a park and am OK about flinging park flyers into the air in that park, but my 350 only flies when I am at the NVRC flying field or on private property that is big enough for it. The 350 is a work in progress. If you think that buying a DJI Phantom will avoid all of those problems, read the discussion threads. The Phantom has its own set of problems. It is the nature of this hobby that crashes happen. Figuring out how to not crash is part of the fun.

AH 64, thank you for your consideration, believe me i lost many models in learning process, 3 d helis destroyed one every week, never complained.
    Horizon Hobby is aware that blades simply fell a part in fly, they should do something to fix it, taking consideration it is model malfunction and keep their long time costumers. but thanks i know is part of the hobby to crash and rebuild.
    Last edited by Bondmiamifly; 02-18-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Horizon did update the design of the propellors for the 350, and made the new ones available for free to anyone who still had the old style props.
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #84

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Get the CNC prop adapters and you'll be much happier. You can also try different props. I've had great luck with APC 8X3.8 props and GemFan 8X4.5s I've heard bad things about some of the new "B" props as well as the originals.
    I meant to do that.........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Of course, you also have to ask if problems with the B props are in part caused by loose or over-tightened allen screws. The screws have thread lok on them and the manual advises not to re-use them without adding fresh thread lok, but who bothers to do that? Some forums mention crashes caused by loose prop screws. Others mention props cracked by over-tightening. I would like Horizon to suggest torque settings to use on the prop screws. Pre-set torque drivers are commercially available for those who want to use them if Horizon would share information about an appropriate torque setting to use while tightening the prop screws.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The thing is that if you flip both the A and the B prop over you'll see that there wasn't a lot added to it. Is it enough? Maybe. But one thing I've also found with using different props is that you actually get better performance and lifting ability. The HH props are pretty narrow and although they work, they don't work as well as a Slow Flier prop. HH should have done something to make it difficult for those bolts to be overtightened, like a shoulder or step. That was one of the areas that the Phantom and even the Walkera had an advantage. You could only tighten the prop nut so far. Also, the phantom and walkera props are less breakable. They stand up to a lot of abuse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I bought my 350 after they began to equip them with B props. When I bit a limb at the edge of a clearing, I was amused that the only things that did not break in the ensuing crash were the props. Better performance and lifting ability seem to be winning the debate. Even my LHS now carries 350 CNC prop adapters and prop nuts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have been reading in other forums that not all B props are created equal. As with most things that are built in China, it seems even the 350QX has possibly more than one factory producing things or maybe some batches of plastic are better than others.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Replace 1/4 wave antenna with u.fl socket as per original board design

A useful modification to the original 350 is to replace its 1/4 wave whip antenna with a type 066 U.FL socket so that you can mount an exterior 1/2 wave dipole antenna that connects to the receiver board thru a shielded cable terminated with a U.FL connector. Some say that it works better than the original antenna. HH may actually do this in their 350 version 2 that will be released in April, since the board was designed for a U.FL socket which was replaced with a 1/4 wave whip for the production run. I sort of hope so. Anyway, the shielded lead allowed me to thread the antenna lead in thru the landing gear hole opposite the compass. Antenna is external and its lead snaps into the U.FL socket on the board. Pictures: 1) original whip antenna, 2) U.FL socket, 3) antenna lead connected to socket, 4) antenna hot glued to leg opposite compass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06370.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	1974592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06393.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	1974593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06406.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	1974594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06410.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	1974595  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast