Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

KKmulticopter V5.5 - need calibration help

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

KKmulticopter V5.5 - need calibration help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Double-A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KKmulticopter V5.5 - need calibration help

Hello all,

Im building my first 3D printed quad X copter from scratch and I'm nearly done
However, I cannot figure out how to properly setup my KKmulticopter V5.5 black board flight controller;
http://www.amazon.com/docooler-KKmul.../dp/B006U9KX2K (not sure what the 1-3 split servo cable is for)

When I power up the Tx and quadcopter, arm the FC and begin to throttle up, only 3 motors begin to spin. The 4th motor only begins to kick in at about 75% throttle.
This happens to whatever motor/ESC is plugged into the #4 motor output on the FC.
Ive tested and confirmed each motor/ESC works as expected when plugged directly into my Rx. The FC is properly orientated, facing forward.
I followed the steps to calibrate the throttle range; yaw pot to 0%, full throttle, power on the system, wait for the flashing lights and bring the throttle back to 0%, hear the multitone beeps, power off and reset the yaw pot. When I do these individually, motors/ESCs 1,2 and 3 give the proper multitone beep when calibrating the throttle range, but motor/ESC output #4 only gives one solid, short beep.

It appears that the board and electronics are working, just not properly calibrated.

I followed the instructions listed in the comments and what documentation I could find to get the drivers, GUI, and firmware. I used lazyzero's KKmulticopter Flashtool to install v4.7 X copter firmware (by KapteinKuk) on the flight controller.

These are the motors and ESCs I am using;
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=65171
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=64410
with a Futaba 7CAP Tx (I did make sure to reverse the throttle for Futaba)
Going to KKmulticopter.com (printed on back of the board) brings you to a dead website.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:14 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

The best way to calibrate your esc's are to do it one at a time directly into your receiver. The 1-3 split servo cable is to hook up your receiver to the board. Use the "normal" one to go from aileron to aileron from your receiver to your KK board. With the 1-3 split, you use the single plug across all three of the remaining channel (elevator, throttle, rudder) signal wires on your fc, then plug in the connectors with the single wires to the signal pins on your receiver. You only want one jumper to power the board.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Double-A

Originally Posted by randall1959
The best way to calibrate your esc's are to do it one at a time directly into your receiver. The 1-3 split servo cable is to hook up your receiver to the board. Use the "normal" one to go from aileron to aileron from your receiver to your KK board. With the 1-3 split, you use the single plug across all three of the remaining channel (elevator, throttle, rudder) signal wires on your fc, then plug in the connectors with the single wires to the signal pins on your receiver. You only want one jumper to power the board.
Thanks for the reply.
I have plugged each ESC into my receiver and verified they work as expected. I dont think the 1-3 split cable it came with will work with this board, to be honest. The pins on the FC are spread out too far for it to span across the signal channel for elevator, throttle and rudder. At max, I could plug the normal end across two channels on the FC but it stresses the pins. I will take a picture later to help illustrate.

I believe this is primarily a firmware/calibration issue.
The board came equipped for quad+ so it was recommended to flash it to quadX using the KKmulticopter Flashtool by LazyZero. I used the recommended firmware V4.7 by KapteinKuk, but have the problems stated above.
Ive tried various different quadX firmwares that were available in the flashing tool. A couple firmwares showed promising signs in that all 4 motors spun at the same time and the gyros appeared to be working properly. However, not all motors spin the same amount, the front left motors spins the fastest and the back right spins the slowest. The front right and back left appear to spin equally. If props were mounted it would want to flip backwards and to the right. I cannot find any documentation on how to program the FC using the firmwares that work, either the documentation doesnt exist or it doesnt work.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:50 PM
randall1959

You might want to try one of these newer "KK" boards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-KK-P...item462953a241
A whole lot easier to set up.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
randall1959

There's also a version with auto leveling.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191280303432...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
randall1959

Are you in the United States?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Double-A

Yes, I am in the US. I ended up ordering the autoleveling QQ Super flight controller you provided the link to, thank you. It looks much more straight forward and no firmware-hunting.
Still no luck with getting a firmware to calibrate properly.
Ive tried calibrating the throttle range a number of times, along with stick centering. The interesting thing is when it is in throttle calibration mode, all 4 motors spin up perfectly at the same time. When I finish the calibration and reset the yaw pot to 50%, motor #4 will not start until 75% throttle still. When all motors are spinning while Im testing the controls, if any motor stops spinning, it will not spin until the throttle is killed and then throttled back up.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
randall1959

You've probably just got a bad KK board. I stared out with a V5.5 and I had one that I couldn't do anything with as well. Seems every sweatshop in China clones them. I made a mistake and bought the KK Pro instead of the QQ. The KK Pro does fly well but I wanted auto leveling and the ad I bought mine from was misleading.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Double-A

Originally Posted by randall1959
You've probably just got a bad KK board. I stared out with a V5.5 and I had one that I couldn't do anything with as well. Seems every sweatshop in China clones them. I made a mistake and bought the KK Pro instead of the QQ. The KK Pro does fly well but I wanted auto leveling and the ad I bought mine from was misleading.
You're probably right, the board does not seem to activate or want to program properly, no matter what I do. I have had the worst luck with these flight controllers, Im onto my 5th one. Originally, I bought two HobbyKing KK2.1.5 boards, both were dead on arrival, only the screen illuminated (a common problem it seems), so I got the HobbyKing MultiWii 328p, which would not recognize/initialize with my PC in order to program it for my quad X, and finally this last KKmulticopter v5.5 blackboard, that I got from amazon and have had the most "success" with.
I'm no newbie to RC and aircraft, Ive done a lot over the years but these flight controllers make me feel like I know absolutely nothing haha

Now Im awaiting the QQ Super..fingers crossed.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM
randall1959

Well, if this doesn't suit your needs I would step up to the Naza Lite M without GPS. I have 3 quads with Naza Lite M controllers but also gps and they are really easy to set up and they fly great. You can get the version without Gps for around 60 dollars. They even control camera gimbals.
Here's link to my youtube page.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6v...jvnCq5NEBbvDGA
Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Double-A

Thanks, Ill check that out.
I got my QQ Super yesterday, but not having the greatest of luck. I posted my problem in the Thunder QQ Super discussion forum on rcgroups (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post29960616)
The setup seemed easy enough. After calibrating everything and arming the board, all motors spin up in the proper direction in idle mode but throttling up causes the right side motors to stop.
So I need to do some more research and tinkering.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:13 PM
randall1959

I got the 1st version (non leveling) by mistake and it actually flies. I ordered the QQ Super and I'm having issues as well. It seems there are quite a few bad ones out there. But after all it IS only a 15 dollar flight controller. Still should work though. The KK Pro flies but it won't self level and what I wanted was something that I could fly around at night but without auto leveling it's not going to do what I need. I'm going to return it for another and if this one doesn't work I'll get a Naza Lite M without GPS. They are only 56 dollars from a couple of Chinese vendors and I've never had a bad one yet.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Double-A

That is what I am looking for as well, a nice filming platform, essentially. Please let me know how that works out for you. I may end up biting the bullet and get the Naza Lite M to avoid these cheap boards. It seems your chances are as good as flipping a coin.
I have a replacement KK2.1.5 board on the way (originally dead on arrival) so I will keep my hopes up and tinker with both before throwing in the towel and getting the expensive controller.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM
randall1959

Oh I already know how the Naza Lite M is. I have 3 quads with it and have been flying them for at least a year. It's easily the most trouble free, easy to set up board I have found yet. You can get them state side for around 80 bucks without GPS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DJI-NAZA...item5d4f71b458
Or with the GPS for around 160 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Naza-M-L...item540e32a858
Personally I'd just get the whole package because you know you'll end up wanting the GPS.
Here's my favorite quadcopter which is an F450 with Naza Lite M with GPS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpUma7R_6MM&list=UU6vWpg6uqjvnCq5NEBbvDGA Here's a video I did with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnpp2Udpwbs&list=UU6vWpg6uqjvnCq5NEBbvDGA
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 AM
randall1959

I just went ahead and bought another Naza. They work the first time every time.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Double-A

I may yet get a Naza, if nothing else, for my next project. I got my replacement KK2.1.5 and have actually had my quad in the air a few feet. Getting a lot of oscillation that causes the quad to crash, however. The only stable way to fly is auto-level off so Im still playing with settings, but I think Ive given up on the KKmulticopter v5.5 and QQ Super FCs for time being.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
randall1959

Ditch the junk and get a Naza. The M Lite without gps isn't much more than what you have price wise, and it's SOOOO much easier to set up and fly. I've tried the KK2 board as well and never got the damned thing to fly smoothly. The Naza M Lite has the advantage of being able to add GPS in the future.
No PID settings. Just gains. My latest Naza M Lite will be here tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:11 AM
randall1959

Here's my latest quad with Naza M Lite without GPS. It's just so hard to beat the Naza M.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45D7gopvj2k
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 AM
randall1959

Here's my night flyer after I got all the gains tuned properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTgE6L-i5w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugOl5NEXB0Q