Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Help with Tricopter KK board

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Help with Tricopter KK board

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM
CasualChaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tricopter KK board

I have everything connected to my Tricopter, but my motors do not spin up together.
The front left motor spins up at about 20% throttle at a high RPM. The front right spins up at about 50% throttle and the rudder motor spins up around 60%. Once I get around 60% throttle, all of the motors seem close in RPM but I have not put a tach on it. I am using the red KK board from KK Multicopter with V1.6 firmware.
Transmitter - DX7
Receiver - AR6200
ESC - Turnigy plush 20A

I really don't want to put the props on it with the motors spinning like they are. I also tried the throttle calibration but the procedure doesn't make sense. It states to "put the throttle in the full up position then power it on", but I can't arm the board with the throttle in the full up position. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 PM
CasualChaos

Default RE: Help with Tricopter KK board

This is where I am getting confused.

ESC throttle range:

-Turn yaw pot to zero. (OK)
-Turn on transmitter. (OK)
-Throttle stick to full. (OK)
-Turn on flight controller. (how do I turn on, or arm, the flight controller with the throttle in full up position?)
-Wait until the ESC's beeps twice after the initial beeps. (Plush and SS ESC's) (I only get one beep from ESC)
-Throttle stick to off. ESC's beep. (don't get the beep)
-Turn off flight controller. (OK)
-Restore the yaw pot.

I am just plain stuck here.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM
rcbif

Hello. You need to re-calibrate your esc's without the kkboard. Hook each esc up to the receiver (throttle) individually, and go through the calibration sequence making sure to do the exact thing for each esc. Then reattach to kkboard and they should start-up pretty much all at once. Any diffrence then would be trim related.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
CasualChaos

Thanks for the reply.

I finally got it all figured out.

I did remove each ESC and set the throttle range but each motor still spun up differently. I then connected the ESCs back to the KK board and attempted to set the throttle range but kept getting one "beep". What I finally figured out was that the Yaw "pot" was backwards. The max was the min and the min was the max. When I set the Yaw pot to min as indicated on the board, I was actually setting it to max. Once I figured this out, I turned the Yaw pot to max as indicated on the board but actually min, I was able to set the throttle range with the ESCs connected to the KK board. As soon as that was done, all the motors spun up at the exact same time and I was able to use the TX trims to trim it out. It is now very stable.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
CasualChaos

OK, got everything working perfectly and the tricopter was rock solid, but I crashed and now it spins out of control on the ground.

I had to replace the yaw servo and props.

The strange thing is before the crash I had to arm the board by moving the throttle down and to the left and after the crash, I have to arm it down and to the right. I made no changes to the board; I only changed the yaw servo. Now no matter what I do, I cannot get it to stop spinning. I replaced the servo with a larger servo for my TRex 500 but I'm not sure if the new servo just can't handle the torque. I'm not sure if something happened to the KK board during the crash, but I don't see anything. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM
hangarace

Simple answer is the new servo moves in the opposite direction from your old one. If you look at your yaw servo you should see that when you steer right it is opposite. You change that in your radio. Get your inst for the KK board and find where it talks about reversing yaw direction and change that id necessary. Your KK board should arm to the lower right not left.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 PM
CasualChaos

Thanks for the response. The problem was that the yaw servos that I was not using did not have enough torque to maintain the yaw prop. Once I changed to a higher torque servo, everything worked fine.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM
daveloves

HI, I just joined this forum a day ago and can't seem to find how to post a need for help. I just built my first Tricopter using a KK2 board and RC Timer motors and can only arm it setting auto and not stick. Then when i got it to arm and run it would not go off the ground. I just finished building another one since i had extra parts and stronger motors and used bulsa wood and the entire Tri only weighs 690grams with every thing but the battery which is a 2200mah 11.1 volt.. Weighs less then the first one where i purchased the premade wood Tri Frame..  
  Bottom line is neither one will leave the ground no matter what i do they just will not leave the ground. I am either doing something wrong with the transmitter or my wires are switched or something.. Well i need some help and just not sure how to start a new post.
Hope someone can direct me or help.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM
daveloves

Hi, Glad i finally figured out how to get into a forum and make a post. I am using a KK2 board V2 and have the same problem getting it to arm.. I set mine to auto but really want to get it as stick arming.. However when i did arm it and did give it some throttle slowly it starts to spin... I am not sure or really have no idea why it does that which makes it uncontrollable. I am stuck at thispoint.. Using a Turnigy9x and Turnigy 8 Channel receiver..
Any helpis welcome. Thanks in advance.