Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Why does turning in a hover make me leave hover? New to Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Why does turning in a hover make me leave hover? New to Flight

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Mr. Wonderful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does turning in a hover make me leave hover? New to Flight

Hello all

I recently purchased an Ares QX 130 quadcopter to try to get back into the RC hobby, and I’m having some fun with this little thing. What I can’t figure out though is why my machine always leaves its hover when I turn the nose. I’ll be in a hover, turn my nose, and I’m suddenly moving and have to correct to bring back to a hover.

What’s causing this?

From my very limited understanding, to move forward, I imagine the front props slow down and the back speed up in order to pitch the nose down and blow the air behind it, thus moving it forward, and the opposite happens to go in reverse. Similar functions to strafe left and right. To turn the nose, I envision two diagonal props working in unison, where two will speed up and two will slow down, thus causing the turn, though I don’t know which does which. By that I mean that if you were to slow down the front left and back right, I don’t know which way you’d turn.

If all that’s happening are two diagonal props slow down and the other two potentially speed up, how does that cause the pitch of the craft to change causing it to move from its hover?

Thanks for your time folks!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM
kerryg

This is not uncommon with cheaper quads. You are dealing with torque and prop speed. The only quads that really don't suffer from this are ones with GPS assist that work to keep the quad in position while you change directions.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Mr. Wonderful

Thanks Kerry!