Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Freekin government banning "DRONES" in national parks

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Freekin government banning "DRONES" in national parks

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Freekin government banning "DRONES" in national parks

This is just stupid to me. Its educated people making very uneducated decisions. They don't even know what they are banning. They think they are banning govt type drones, but our little camera ships fly for what, 5 to 10 minutes and are quieter than most cars. If someone is so "put out" because they saw one fly in the park that they can't stand it, they should have stayed home and ate twinkies. Why should I not be able to get a really great video, but I have to stand next to some self centered idiot blowing smoke at me and the kids. If they won't let us see the park and take vids and use the park like anyone else, they should just close them all off and fence them so noone can get in. What is this country coming to? They keep taking one right away from us at a time, but man, if your an illegal alien, you can have it all.

Last edited by FLYBOY; 06-24-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM
turok007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it gets worse. FPV is sort of banned in the USA. the big RC people who are in charge. (sorry cannot remember the name) are going to fight it. but you only have to look on the net to see the amount of silly people flying quads around&close to people. and most people think it is all ok.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the liberal main stream media to blame . They are misinformed ,ill-informed, and want to sensationalize the issue. Just like they did with guns. They are comparing a hobby grade civilian multirotor RC craft to a high-tech government /military drone and calling them drones. The entertainment TV fed public will be brainwashed into believing that hobby shop RC multirotor are dangerous drones that kill people and will want their sheep herding representatives to pass new laws protecting them from the drones.....just like they tried to do with the guns. If they are successful they will lump all radio control craft into the category of "dangerous to the public" and get folks believing such.
We need to stop this before it gets to that point. I hope the AMA does not back down or cave under political pressure and this should be a good reason to join the AMA. Yes the actions of a few morons operating these quads is not good for the hobby or this issue but there are laws already on the books that they are breaking and should be punished for. We don't need any new government laws for our hobby.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 07-01-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

ponder this for a moment ehh. how much do the camera and gimbal setups weigh ? how long can say a dji phantom fly with the cameras that come with them.? remove camera and gimbal replace them with same amount of c4 say for instance 1 pound. 1 pound can do a ton of damage ehh. with gps and fpv a terrorist could easily bomb any place and be far away enough to not really be noticed. is it bs yes and no ! also i noticed a guy on hf with gps etc setup on his 600 or 700 heli the thing was high in the air. what happens when someone isnt thinking about where they are flying and what they are near. maybe a small private airfield that little cessnas fly in and out of. what happens if that quad or bigger hits the cessna?? i bet it wouldnt be pretty. seeing what a bird can do to bigger jet planes. its all what ifs. but what if it happens?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
flyinwalenda

What if's ? There are so many "what if's" with everything that if we are that worried about what might happen we should all lock ourselves in the house and never come out. Thinking like that and believing it is just more fear mongering .
As far as flying high near an airport , there is already an FAA regulation pertaining to operating anything RC related in that it must be at or below 400' plus if following AMA guidelines one always gives right-of-way to full scale aircraft. The rules/laws already in place are enough and we don't need any more.
If there was some kind of law mandating every person attain a certain level of common sense and courtesy by a certain age we wouldn't be having these issues.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
madmorgan

sure theres alot of what ifs and im not at all on the governments side. truth be told is someone had a quad out one day and one of our nations heroes was out and happened to see it with his hooker. his hooker was amazed and the politician knew he wasnt able or smart enough to ever do it so he raises the issue lmao. seeing as they have all the other problems worked out they always have to have new business and now he will be able to get lobbyists from both side to add to his personal bank account. who knows who cares !
Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM
turok007

i think the so called smart quad is to blame. as if it didn't fly on it's own most of the idiot's would of crashed on takeoff. like they do with RC planes and helicopters.

i was thinking that if you attached a knife to a power drill and started waving it about in a public spot. you would be arrested. well a quadcopter is sort of the same.

also i would be very happy to take a test to prove i could fly without the aid of the onboard computer.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by turok007
i think the so called smart quad is to blame. as if it didn't fly on it's own most of the idiot's would of crashed on takeoff. like they do with RC planes and helicopters. .
There is no doubt about that.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if a person wants to use a plane, car gun or what ever to do hard he/she will do it. the laws only keep us sane people from doing what is fun to us. laws only work because law abiding people follow them. criminals dont listen to the law.....
Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Rob2160

Incidents like these don't help… (Multirotors used to deliver drugs to prisoners)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...son-say-police

There was another attempt just a few days ago in Dublin, Ireland,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-escape.html
Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what people understand is that its the person flying it not the quad itself.

How cars kill people every year and I don't see them banning cars.....
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

I argued against fpv for many years because the wrong person flying it could do lots of damage with it and not even be close. I gave up on that long ago because they are everywhere. I bought one and started using it for filming and they are pretty incredible. Just like anything else, in the wrong hands its very dangerous, but in the right hands its a great tool. As stated, if everyone worried about what could happen, then nothing would be legal. Everything in the world could cause problems in one way or another. We need to keep the idiots from using them in the wrong ways like kids buzzing airports and cars. Thats what is giving us the most problem right now.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:41 PM
turok007

when i was really into flying i would meat complete idiots. who would say i want one then go and spend £££££££ then crash it before it leaves the ground. theses people were beyond help. but now them same people have got there hands on quadcopters. i even see a YT video where the person said he cannot see how these idiot's fly without GPS turned on. as he cannot control his without it. something needs done ASAP or this hobby is dead. and as someone has already said (criminals dont listen to the law)
Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

It appears most of the posters know the truth behind the story. The truth being it is the human operator that is the problem and not the machine. These are the same idiots that ride bicycles in traffic and won't abide by the rules.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 PM
jgracco

You downplay the issues.. what if? What if it is your plane that had an issue due to someting caused directly by or indirectly caused by somehting rc related? What if someone packs c4 in a plane and flew it FPV miles off. Those "what ifs" have a lot of people concerned while guys like you just want to hit the snooze button and pretend it is 1970 all over. Times have changed a lot.. what if gyros, what if fpv, what if a million considerations we all could not have conceived of 20 years ago. What if it were your house, your plane to go down or your kid that might get hurt.. i think you'd be singing a different tune....

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
What if's ? There are so many "what if's" with everything that if we are that worried about what might happen we should all lock ourselves in the house and never come out. Thinking like that and believing it is just more fear mongering .
As far as flying high near an airport , there is already an FAA regulation pertaining to operating anything RC related in that it must be at or below 400' plus if following AMA guidelines one always gives right-of-way to full scale aircraft. The rules/laws already in place are enough and we don't need any more.
If there was some kind of law mandating every person attain a certain level of common sense and courtesy by a certain age we wouldn't be having these issues.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if I had been wearing a helmet when I rode my bike in 1968? I might not have thumped my noggin when I wrecked and never became addicted to rc airplanes. WHAT IF! Life is a series of "what if's" Our country has became populated by a bunch of sniveling crybabies that want "big brother" to protect them from everything.

There is only one answer. Get off your butts and go vote. Be active in your local government.

I now see this thread being shut down.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 AM
jharkin

Im going to take the opposing view and say this is a good thing. If I am visiting a national park like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc I want to experience nature in its raw unaldulterated beatuy.... Not see technology or hear buzzing noise of quadcopters flying aobut.

For that matter Im also for banning ATVs and offroad vehicles in parks... and limiting cars to major roads as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by jharkin
Im going to take the opposing view and say this is a good thing. If I am visiting a national park like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc I want to experience nature in its raw unaldulterated beatuy.... Not see technology or hear buzzing noise of quadcopters flying aobut.

For that matter Im also for banning ATVs and offroad vehicles in parks... and limiting cars to major roads as well.
Then I for banning humans in the parks also.............
Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by jgracco
You downplay the issues.. what if? What if it is your plane that had an issue due to someting caused directly by or indirectly caused by somehting rc related? What if someone packs c4 in a plane and flew it FPV miles off. Those "what ifs" have a lot of people concerned while guys like you just want to hit the snooze button and pretend it is 1970 all over. Times have changed a lot.. what if gyros, what if fpv, what if a million considerations we all could not have conceived of 20 years ago. What if it were your house, your plane to go down or your kid that might get hurt.. i think you'd be singing a different tune....
No, I am a realist, not downplaying anything.

If something happened while I was safely operating something radio controlled and it damaged property or injured someone I would take full responsibility for it . My liability insurance , or my AMA, or my bank account would cover the damages. I take responsibility ...I'm not looking for others to take care of it for me or try and protect me from myself, others, or from the "what-if's".

There are laws already on the books that would deal with someone possessing C4 without the proper paperwork. Even then if someone wants to do it and deliver it via an RC craft to destroy people or property , no amount of laws will prevent them from doing it. That type of person does not obey laws

No one is snoozing and living in the past . I'm a 21'st century man and not a worry wart. I don't want a new law made every time someone gets excited, worried , or when something happens and laws /regulations already on the books will handle the situation and/or punish the individual if they made a bad choice. Again, I can take care of myself, I don't want the government or any group to try and do that for me.

If it was my house or me that was hit by someone operating a radio controlled craft, I would want that person to accept full responsibility and make me whole again. If they were operating it safely and it was just an accident then they are still responsible. If they were acting like a moron and operating it in an unsafe manner then I would also want them punished using laws already on the books. I would not be beating a drum demanding a new law be put in place or spreading false-fear that these things are dangerous.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 07-02-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Mark my words; When all is said and done the only place U/WE will be flying anything not on wires will be an AMA Chartered field
i.e. (CBO Community Based Organization)
That said U/ME/WE have to do every thing possible to stem the tide and comment by 25 July 2014 to the FAA.
Response Needed to FAA Model Aircraft Rule
You have all seen this but it is at the heart of any chance we have to stem the FAA's assult on our Hobby/Sport.

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-02-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM
cooper998

Many, many years ago I heard a very smart man say, " if you don't like the laws and government here then leave!"
It amazes me how people get up in arms because they can't play with their toys where they want to. This country is based on rights and laws, yes you have the right but you need to follow the laws also. If by chance you don't like the laws we also have a process for you to voice your opinions and ask for repeal.

Stating unhappiness in a public forum gets you nowhere, just pity, ridicule, and or abuse and confrontation.

I for one applaud the governments decision to ban "toys" in National parks, I visit them for what they are and enjoy them how they are so if you feel you absolutely need to get that thirty seconds of video that twelve people will ever see, do the right thing and ask permission first, you just might be told its ok. (or arrested)

Hey I got it! Why don't we rally for licensing the use of aerial videography in National parks (insert sarcasm), Im sure the Motion Picture Association will let you get a permit for a "small" fee.. then its just a simple matter of background checks, bonding, security clearance, and the occasional cavity search!

I now step down and relinquish the soap box,

Tony
Plane, Heli, and Quad Flyer... legally!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 AM
flyinwalenda

I also would not want to be visiting the Grand Canyon and have to see and listen to a multirotor flying around taking pictures/video etc... nor would I want to see/listen to a full size helicopter or plane flying around taking pictures or video either . Again, this should fall under common sense....don't fly in areas like that , around national monuments, etc...However, I am sure there are places within most parks where they could be flown
If they want to ban them then ban them because they are distracting. Fear mongering and banning them stating they are "dangerous" or "would-be, could -be what-if- be " dangerous is wrong.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Blah blah blah blah
Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
jgracco

common sense... ???? If people had common sense as a collective whole you would not need a lot of laws to tell people what to do. Most laws are not new.. I brought up C4 because someone else did. "People that do this stuff do not obey laws ..." so does that mean don't have them. I don't think so. I think a lot of people are forgetting that a public park is a public place and what is done in a public place is governed by laws and hopefully by what the collective population wants or does not want. I don't think a heli pilot is in the majority here... it comes down to what the family having a picinic there wants just as much as the guy skooting around on a skateboard. yeah take a vote and the majority vote rules .. to have RC or not..

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I also would not want to be visiting the Grand Canyon and have to see and listen to a multirotor flying around taking pictures/video etc... nor would I want to see/listen to a full size helicopter or plane flying around taking pictures or video either . Again, this should fall under common sense....don't fly in areas like that , around national monuments, etc...However, I am sure there are places within most parks where they could be flown
If they want to ban them then ban them because they are distracting. Fear mongering and banning them stating they are "dangerous" or "would-be, could -be what-if- be " dangerous is wrong.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
turok007

oh well that didn't take long the UK is at panic stations now about quads. because of the US law we had the BMFA draw up some rules. but now the government will want full control and ban everything but also have bigger drones to patrol the skys just to be sure. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.