Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Freekin government banning "DRONES" in national parks

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Freekin government banning "DRONES" in national parks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
Blah blah blah blah
LOL ....... yes it is a lot of Blah, blah, blah. But I think we should get back to one of the first questions and that was " What is this country coming to ? ". No need to ask the question as we all know the answer and it is not a good one. So how do we change it Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, why don't we start we a clean government slate and term limits.

Just my one cent worth. Saving my other cent for a later posting. LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Axle Al
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, but the quadcopter might be the next terrorist weapon. If so, RC is going to get stomped on
Old 07-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Granpooba

Just read where a fellow put his rifle by the front door with 6 rounds of ammo next to it. For a long period of time the mailman came and went. Numerous people and relatives entered and left the house. Numerous people walked up and down the sidewalk in front of the house and numerous cars stopped at the STOP sign.

After all of these happenings the fellow that owned the gun figures that he has a lazy gun as it did no harm to any of the mentioned people.

With this said, what or who do we blame for what is happening in this country, the toys, the operators of such toys, or the idiots that are in government

Just my other one cent worth ! LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Axle Al
Hate to say it, but the quadcopter might be the next terrorist weapon. If so, RC is going to get stomped on
Why would terrorists have had to wait for the quadcopter to be developed to be the next terrorist weapon

Why wouldn't a terrorist just use an RC Helicopter or airplane as a weapon ? Heck, I think they have been around for years.

Hush !! Lets not say anything to loudly here. The military may hear us and get the idea to us RC planes as weapons. Heck they may even call them " Drones " ! LOL

Last edited by Granpooba; 07-02-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Axle Al

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Why would terrorists have had to wait for the quadcopter to be developed to be the next terrorist weapon

Why wouldn't a terrorist just use an RC Helicopter or airplane as a weapon ? Heck, I think they have been around for years.
well, I never heard of a heli that can auto pilot to a gps location. Just a bad thought, don't want it to happen
Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying R/C planes since 1968. I currently fly sailplanes and will be building some old gas powered planes for the first time in 35 years. If I am on vacation in a National Park, I don't want a drone, quadcopter, helicopter or any other RC plane flying over me or near me. Not because I am worried about being hit, I just don't want my vacation to be disturbed by R/C aircraft. My personal belief is a few idiots flying quadcopters and similar multi-rotor craft in inappropriate places and inappropriate situations will cause all of us in R/C to lose flying privileges or be subject to severe restrictions.
Steve Gibson

Last edited by SGibson; 07-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Benjamin Franklin said "Those who are willing to trade liberties for security deserve neither." As one of the framers of the Declaration of Independence he meant that each and every citizen deserves both and to trade one for more of the other is illogical. To say that just because something has the potential to be used for nefarious purposes does not mean we should ban it altogether. There are 535 people legislating the laws for the rest of us but are only there because we put them there...every responsible citizen must contact their representative and voice their concern for government intrusion into an overwhelmingly benign hobby.

What we need to do in this hobby is be more respectful of where we fly and take into consideration how our actions affect others. I got into this hobby nearly 20 years ago because of my love for aviation/aeronautics and the great people I met while doing so. We just need to maintain that atmosphere of respect and understanding.

Agree or not I just felt the need to add my opinion.

Happy flying!

Last edited by allamericanflyer; 07-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Granpooba

well, I never heard of a heli that can auto pilot to a gps location. Just a bad thought, don't want it to happen
Do you REALLY think that a terrorist would need GPS to put a heli loaded with C4 into a target / location

Duh !! I doubt it !!

Oooooooooooooooooops. Went over my two cents worth .............. LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by allamericanflyer
Benjamin Franklin said "Those who are willing to trade liberties for security deserve neither." As one of the framers of the Declaration of Independence he meant that each and every citizen deserves both and to trade one for more of the other is illogical. To say that just because something has the potential to be used for nefarious purposes does not mean we should ban it altogether. There are 535 people legislating the laws for the rest of us but are only there because we put them there...every responsible citizen must contact their representative and voice their concern for government intrusion into an overwhelmingly benign hobby.

What we need to do in this hobby is be more respectful of where we fly and take into consideration how our actions affect others. I got into this hobby nearly 20 years ago because of my love for aviation/aeronautics and the great people I met while doing so. We just need to maintain that atmosphere of respect and understanding.

Agree or not I just felt the need to add my opinion.

Happy flying!
Very well stated ! I have been building models since the age of 8 and now going on 72 years old.

Most of the folks that I have met in this hobby are very respectful and understanding. BUT , sorry to say, their will always be the few that are not respectful and understanding. And again sorry to say, those few will be the ones that will ruin this hobby for all of us.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Axle Al

Do you REALLY think that a terrorist would need GPS to put a heli loaded with C4 into a target / location

Duh !! I doubt it !!

Oooooooooooooooooops. Went over my two cents worth .............. LOL
Well how do you think he's going to do it? walk along and watch it? How do you think all modern weapons are guided. Maybe you don't know that the things come out of the box with a gps home point location that it will go to. Do you also know how far more stable and solid a flying machine it is over a heli. They had them on sixty minutes show and said "any idiot can fly one" You got one yet?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM
flyinwalenda

Well how do you think he's going to do it? walk along and watch it? How do you think all modern weapons are guided. Maybe you don't know that the things come out of the box with a gps home point location that it will go to. Do you also know how far more stable and solid a flying machine it is over a heli. They had them on sixty minutes show and said "any idiot can fly one" You got one yet?
This is what happens when folks rely on entertainment TV to get their news.
The government GPS is completely different than the GPS used for RC. You would be lucky to hit 20' on either side of what you were "aiming" for if you could hit it at all. Plus "if" that ever happened all the gov has to do is turn off that GPS system rendering all RC grade craft using GPS inoperative for GPS guidance.
Also, please don't cleverly try to call someone you don't agree with an idiot.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

And we keep voting for the same people over and over.....

It's not the people that like TEA that are the problem.

Wait until banning of all RC comes. Really? Yes it will........

It's already begun......http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...-aircraft.html

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 07-02-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Axle Al

I think it's really possible that quads get the fed's attention. Anyone can fly them, there is a college that that keeps one in it's library for students to rent. There are instances of them being high enough that airliners reported them. I have seen first hand one of the larger ones put on auto pilot, climb to an altitude and hold position where it was out of sight, and at the right moment on the timer, return to a programed gps spot at the owners feet. And I don't mean 20 feet close but 2 feet. The show 60 minutes is not a total waste yet but it did have a spot about amazon wanting to use them to deliver packages to your front door. People say no chance. But I say that if a corporation wants it to happen then " their" government will pass regs to make it possible. I can see there being caps on compensation for anybody that gets hit by one. These are just my impressions based on my experiences and info I have collected. And when someone go's " Duh" to me, he is being insulting or is uninformed.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
That is the liberal main stream media to blame . They are misinformed ,ill-informed, and want to sensationalize the issue. Just like they did with guns. They are comparing a hobby grade civilian multirotor RC craft to a high-tech government /military drone and calling them drones. The entertainment TV fed public will be brainwashed into believing that hobby shop RC multirotor are dangerous drones that kill people and will want their sheep herding representatives to pass new laws protecting them from the drones.....just like they tried to do with the guns. If they are successful they will lump all radio control craft into the category of "dangerous to the public" and get folks believing such.
We need to stop this before it gets to that point. I hope the AMA does not back down or cave under political pressure and this should be a good reason to join the AMA. Yes the actions of a few morons operating these quads is not good for the hobby or this issue but there are laws already on the books that they are breaking and should be punished for. We don't need any new government laws for our hobby.
The liberal media and the big bad government are to blame???? You hope the AMA doesn't back down???
What are you going to do about it??? Are you going to send a comment to the FAA before the comment deadline??? Are you going to write to your Senators & Congressman. I'd be willing to bet you don't, and most people on this site don't. Much easier to complain than do something about it.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by Neverlost1
The liberal media and the big bad government are to blame???? You hope the AMA doesn't back down???
What are you going to do about it??? Are you going to send a comment to the FAA before the comment deadline??? Are you going to write to your Senators & Congressman. I'd be willing to bet you don't, and most people on this site don't. Much easier to complain than do something about it.
You would loose that bet .Already did and and although I don't like everything about the AMA I am a member and in situations like this they do have our best interests in mind. I get involved at the grass roots level and yes contacting your reps is one way to get involved but typically by then the ball is rolling downhill fast. To make changes it needs to start at the local level...just like the flier who questioned police in a park when he was told to leave but they could not cite any regulations . You need to stand up for your rights and educate people who make the decisions and not accept everything you are force fed by the media.,politicians and law enforcement.
Yes there are way to many folks like that who complain and do nothing and/or blindly accept everything they are told both here and in the country and those people deserve they type of government they get...however it's not the type I want.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You have only yourselves to blame. You have been told for at least 20 years to BEHAVE (follow the rules), act responsibly, fly safely and consider others, especially the non-flying public. You refused to police your own people who streteched the limits of civility and safety. You put your FUN above everyone else - you got what you deserve. And sadly, you have also affected the rest of us who do follow the rules.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by SGibson
If I am on vacation in a National Park, I don't want a drone, quadcopter, helicopter or any other RC plane flying over me or near me. Not because I am worried about being hit, I just don't want my vacation to be disturbed by R/C aircraft. My personal belief is a few idiots flying quadcopters and similar multi-rotor craft in inappropriate places and inappropriate situations will cause all of us in R/C to lose flying privileges or be subject to severe restrictions.
Steve Gibson
Amen to that Steve. When I first read the title of this thread...."Freekin Government banning drones in national parks"......I had a braincramp because I don't want to go to Yosemite or Yellowstone or Big Bend or etc. and be disturbed by R/C aircraft. R/C aircraft DON'T BELONG AT NATIONAL PARKS!!! I can readily accept the Federal Government banning drones in national parks.

YES ....... PLEASE ........ban drones in national parks!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jharkin
Im going to take the opposing view and say this is a good thing. If I am visiting a national park like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc I want to experience nature in its raw unaldulterated beatuy.... Not see technology or hear buzzing noise of quadcopters flying aobut.

For that matter Im also for banning ATVs and offroad vehicles in parks... and limiting cars to major roads as well.

This is what I am talking about. People who think they have the only rights in the park. He doesn't want to be inconvenienced for the 5 minutes a quad would fly so he wants it banned, so he alone can enjoy the park in his way. What about the way I want to enjoy it? I want to take pictures and vid of it to remember it by. Why should such a careless person get to make all the choices for everyone? When i get out of the car, I would more than likely have to endure your freekin cigarette too, wouldn't I?

This is the mentality we are up against. ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME. The park is there for everyone, if you can't deal with a quad copter flying for a few minutes, or a jeep driving by, or a 4 wheeler driving by, or another person walking in your view, stay home and eat your twinkies. Why should the world cater to you!

Sorry, end of rant,

On another note, My father in law was in town the other day and had friends *****ing about the gov't drone spying on people out in our area. Its a large town too. We are 10 miles out. The gov't drone was my flame wheel being flown around our house taking pictures of it. Man, sheeple are so stupid in heards.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Rob2160

Hush !! Lets not say anything to loudly here. The military may hear us and get the idea to us RC planes as weapons. Heck they may even call them " Drones " ! LOL
Because its easier with a multi rotor that can be controlled completely by an iPad, requires no flying skills and using GPS can be programmed to fly to a reasonably accurate location miles beyond visual range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXZ9w13YJg#t=16

Last edited by Rob2160; 07-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 AM
davevh

Originally Posted by jharkin
Im going to take the opposing view and say this is a good thing. If I am visiting a national park like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc I want to experience nature in its raw unaldulterated beatuy.... Not see technology or hear buzzing noise of quadcopters flying aobut.

For that matter Im also for banning ATVs and offroad vehicles in parks... and limiting cars to major roads as well.
Nice attitude, take away another hobby that many people enjoy (including myself) to get away and out into nature. Selfish much? Meanwhile, the Harleys will freely take those major roads (for which you decree the only way of travel in YOUR park) and will be heard for miles around, whereas my 650 four stroke can barely be heard behind the next hill. If you want utter peace, take along a pair of ear plugs.
Have you even been out into nature? I doubt it, the coyotes howling and birds chattering make far more noise that kept me awake more so than vehicles ever did. This comes from someone who loves peace and quiet, nature, and getting away from self-centered people such as yourself.
In all the riding I have done, no one in the parks EVER complained of noise, but actually showed interest in our bikes, including the rangers (they even recommended routes for us to go). The only requirement was not over speeding on the desert roads.
All these problems come down to responsibility and tolerance, which sadly the human race has little of either.
Rant over.

Last edited by davevh; 07-03-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:15 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Typical liberal thinking.
If you can't do as you please, then the local and Federal governments are at fault, and taking away your freedom.
I fly also, and I get that you may want to fly to take your own pictures, but when I visit one of the National parks I don't want a noisy quad hovering right in the middle of the scenery and screwing it up for me.
Regulating quad use in National parks was a good move by the National parks department.

Greg
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Boys Boys Boys Cease the bickering PLZ .... We've got work to do.
It's about the FAA taking all our flying away starting with FPV.
Read the Plain Language FAA Interpretation of the FAA’s interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft established by Congress in the FAA modernization and Reform Act of 2012. We have till the 25th of July to comment and let our displeasure with their interpation in an intelligent and adult fashion. Posting things about Bombs on Quads and flying Quads in public are only going to fuel their attempts to ban our Hobby/Sport.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Granpooba

No, as you put it, this idiot does not have one yet and doubt that I ever will.

But their is a bonus here for you. This is the last and only reply that you will receive from this idiot. Feel that I was stupid getting involved with you in this thread, in the first place.

Let them do whatever they want with these drones, I just don't have enough years left to worry or even care about them !! Simple, simple !!

Last edited by Granpooba; 07-03-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 AM
GerKonig

Just read where a fellow put his rifle by the front door with 6 rounds of ammo next to it. For a long period of time the mailman came and went. Numerous people and relatives entered and left the house. Numerous people walked up and down the sidewalk in front of the house and numerous cars stopped at the STOP sign.

After all of these happenings the fellow that owned the gun figures that he has a lazy gun as it did no harm to any of the mentioned people.

With this said, what or who do we blame for what is happening in this country, the toys, the operators of such toys, or the idiots that are in government

Just my other one cent worth ! LOL
I am more worried of areas where there are a lot of people, let's say you are at the Vatican among a crowd, and you have 10 quads above you filming, or in times Square (you are from NY), or any other tourist attraction where you have a crowd, or in cities like Florence around the Cathedral, etc. Heck, or in a stadium (it happened already). Or you go to a event like a concert, and there are dozens of these devices all over the place above people's heads... In a huge park I do not see that much of a problem if they do not fly close or above people...

Unfortunately common sense does not grow in trees, nor can it be transplanted or purchased at your local convenience stores. And we know it does not abound...

Gerry
Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
This is what happens when folks rely on entertainment TV to get their news.
The government GPS is completely different than the GPS used for RC. You would be lucky to hit 20' on either side of what you were "aiming" for if you could hit it at all. Plus "if" that ever happened all the gov has to do is turn off that GPS system rendering all RC grade craft using GPS inoperative for GPS guidance.
Also, please don't cleverly try to call someone you don't agree with an idiot.
Come on neighbor! Turning off GPS would cause so many problems you have no clue, but you have SOME idea:-)

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.