Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Dragonfly alternative? the x-ufo

Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Ge Force

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dragonfly alternative? the x-ufo

I think i have found a dragonfly alternative for people who dont fell like spending $800 http://www.hobbytron.com/SilverLit-X...-4-Motors.html or http://www.hobbytron.com/XUFO.html
Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Sky High

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dragonfly alternative? the x-ufo

That price is definitely undeniably and significantly lower. I like the shrouds around the rotors for very safe indoor flight providing protection to walls, furniture and people. It seems very stable indoors, but I wonder why they didn't show much of it flying outdoors? I would think that the rotor shroud would cause alot of resistance in the wind making it more difficult to control. Other than these supposed issues, the price is great and it looks really fun and safe for indoor use. DF's Ti (thermal intelligence) makes learning and flying a whole lot easier too. When properly trimmed, it can literally fly itself with no input from the sticks! I think the Draganflyer is more suited for carrying onboard gear and accessories necessary for utilities and tasks though. That's what my application for the DF is.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:42 PM
jason.leesb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Sky High,

I have got a clip of xufo flying in the open @ nite. (Those blinking blue lights looks very pretty). But I unable to upload as it is 9 MB.

The shrouds protection actually also acts as "frame bracing" that is used like in DF 5Ti Pro - very stable.

I wonder what types of blades it is using. Can it be fitted onto of DF ? Maybe we can buy the blade from their manufactuer ...LOL
Old 12-29-2005, 02:38 AM
Sky High

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you find a way, please post that video. I want to see how that thing flies outside. I like those lights too.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 AM
jason.leesb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry Sky High, I am being banned from uploading. (See reason below)
You got yahoo or gmail ? I will be happy to send you the clip.

Putfile Says Goodbye To Singapore

At dawn on December 2nd 2005, Singapore hanged a citizen of Australia, despite a plea for clemency from the United Nations. Whilst Putfile is not a human rights campaigning organization, we believe that if a country must have the death penalty, there is no need for it be barbaric. It is enough of a punishment, and a deterrent, to take someone's life in a painless manner, without having to be barbaric about it. Putfile prefers to not continue to provide our free uploading service to a country that executes prisoners by hanging, a method of execution which can take up to six minutes to painfully execute the victim.

For this reason, we are at this time terminating all service to users from Singapore. We shall be happy to restore service following any positive move from the government of Singapore towards abolition of hanging as an execution method.

Goodbye Singapore,

Putfile.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:23 AM
Ge Force

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

upload it here its free and simple http://rapidshare.de/ just post a dl link after your done
Old 12-29-2005, 08:52 PM
jason.leesb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, I had already got it uploaded. Enjoy guys...

http://rapidshare.de/files/10073549/xufo.wmv.html

(I think, you will need to click on the "free" button - to download).
Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 PM
jason.leesb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, I had already got it uploaded. Enjoy guys...

http://rapidshare.de/files/10073549/xufo.wmv.html

(I think, you will need to click on the "free" button - to download).
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Sky High

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think your account only allows for 1 download which has already occured. I couldn't find any way to download your video.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM
kuzer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A little advice.....Don't waste your money on the X-UFO. I have had two with nothing but problems. The first one never did fly right and I sent it back. The second one (new batch) worked well for a week then started having gyro problems. It uses a mechanical gyro that will only work to 20 degree grades and then will flip over. It is fun to fly when it does which is not very long. This is why I opted for the draganflyer.

kuzer
Old 01-22-2006, 12:14 PM
ufoman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well as soon as a XUFO version 3 comes out I may pick one up as it is suppose to have non mechanical piezos in it. I had a Draganflyer 4 but sold it about a month later. The reason I sold it was due to the number of rotor blades I was going through and the touchy controls with the standard Futaba Transmitter. Flying with a 9c radio with throttle, aileron, and elevator pitch curves it wouldn't be so as bad.

Anyway I contacted Draganfly and they said protecting the blades in a shroud like the Xufo config could not be done due to the weight issue. They probably make too much money on the rotor blades to want to change their design. Well now that Silverlit has done it I know it can be done and if they keep improving on the design it will give the Draganflyer some competition. Some things have to happen though....the Xufo has to progress from a toy to a serious hobby RC flyer. Whether the customer demand is there for a more expensive XUFO that is the question the company is probably asking itself.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Sky High

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ufoman, have you flown the newer DF V Ti Pro? Did you ever laminate your rotors with tape. There are plenty of videos in this forum showing almost perfect stability of the DF V Pro at low and high altitudes. The new Ti circuit provides unbelievable control and stability. My rotor chipping and shredding days due to small inadvertent hits to random frame strikes stopped immediately after I laminated my nylon rotors. I still experience frame strikes, inherent with the flexible nylon rotors, but there is no damage because of the lamination. After my last high altitude fatal crash, I bought 5 sets of rotors to be prepared. I finally took DFI's and others' advice and laminated the first new set. Well. I have been using that same set of laminated rotors for three months and have had not one chip from them while still experiencing occassional frame strikes. I also have to say that I have not crashed either so I don't know and hopefully won't find out what would happen with a light or serious crash. All videos that I have posted were shot while using those same laminated rotors. The fact that I haven't crashed once due to inflight rotor chipping/shredding since laminating the rotors says something too. I am a proficient pilot now, but Ti is responsible for alot of it.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a silverlit X-UFO back in November when they first released the new one and flew it once and after that put it on E-bay sold it and purchased a DF V Ti Pro and have never looked back the X-UFO is a waste of money and there is NO comparison between the X-UFO and the DF at all.As for rotor blades if you look on E-bay you will find DF rotor blades up for auction from RC Toys and I have won may of the auctions I have gotten the two sets of blades that sell for $50.00 on their web site for around $25.00 on E-bay.I have purchased around 10 sets of blades on E-bay for around $100.00 in different auctions and 10 sets on their web site cost $200.00.I have picked up single sets of blades for as little as $10.00 on E-bay,you just have to watch for the deals and do some sniper bidding.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 AM
ufoman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd still consider another Draganflyer Sky High but how long before the Draganflyer 6 arrives? The new TI circuit sounds very good but I'm tempted to wait and see what else is coming up this year. My goal is to build a good modified Corona Heli and get another Draganflyer because these two won't cost 100$ for every slipup you make.

Lamination that sounds like a very good idea to make the blades stiffer and stronger. I hear people do that with the Hirobo XRB also.
What kind of lamination tape exactly did you use? What about those blades that are advertised to be of a vacuum formed PVC? Are they any good?

Orientation: what are you using to keep the flyer oriented. I painted one rotor red but even then it seemed 20 feet out it was hard to pick it out from the pack. No trouble flying helis at least in the reflex sim but hear in real life it is more of a challenge.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Sky High

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ufoman

What kind of lamination tape exactly did you use? What about those blades that are advertised to be of a vacuum formed PVC? Are they any good?
Rotor Lamination
Thread
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3676042/tm.htm

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3615255

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3655368

ORIGINAL: ufoman

Orientation: what are you using to keep the flyer oriented. I painted one rotor red but even then it seemed 20 feet out it was hard to pick it out from the pack. No trouble flying helis at least in the reflex sim but hear in real life it is more of a challenge.
Nav Lights for Orientation (see demo video post)
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3675950/tm.htm
Old 01-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what Mike at spectrolutions says I would not expect a DF VI because the next thing out for the DF is brushless motor system and better designed rotor blades he told me this a couple of months ago when I spoke with him on the phone about using the new 2.4 gig radio set up on my DF.Who knows since the brushless system will need a new electronics board and motors maybe he will call it the DF VI.Guess we will just have to see what the minds at spectrolutions will come up with since they are the brains behind the DF.