RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Multi Rotor Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/multi-rotor-helicopters-487/)
-   -   Are you new to QUAD copters? And need advice stop in and ask me, (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/multi-rotor-helicopters-487/10237667-you-new-quad-copters-need-advice-stop-ask-me.html)

irish_ 01-03-2011 07:00 PM

Are you new to QUAD copters? And need advice stop in and ask me,

If you need some help/insight or advice or just chitchat, i have been flying and building quads for years. had my first about 8 years ago then a draganflyer 7 years ago these days i own an x-3d MK, quadpowered, tt-copter,kkmulticopter,fy90q, and several others so i have some advice to offer and or just have fun discussing :)

gurkburk 01-17-2011 05:42 AM

RE: Are you new to QUAD copters? And need advice stop in and ask me,

Hi I just bought a gaui 330x-s to try to learn to fly a quadcopter, so I then can move on to
learning airial filming. I´ve only flown it twice and keep smashing it in to the ground.
Waiting for som spare parts at the moment to get it up in the air again. I really suck at
flying it and wonder if you know any good flight simulators for quadcopters. I have a mac.
Thanks

irish_ 01-17-2011 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: gurkburk

Hi I just bought a gaui 330x-s to try to learn to fly a quadcopter, so I then can move on to
learning airial filming. I´ve only flown it twice and keep smashing it in to the ground.
Waiting for som spare parts at the moment to get it up in the air again. I really suck at
flying it and wonder if you know any good flight simulators for quadcopters. I have a mac.
Thanks

yes orientation is the hardest to overcome quad flying, FMS is the only free version i seen with quad flying models.

jrelkins1 01-17-2011 07:38 AM

Irish. Thanks for the post. I want to build a quad. I currently live in Mesa, Arizona. I am interested in the 330x. But would consider other makes. The x650 also looks interesting. Someone that can answer questions would be very helpful. I am a retired airline pilot. Been building RC models since I was eight off and on. I currently have a Align 450. But am considering selling it. I would love to stop in and chat. LOL.

JFisher304 04-20-2011 11:11 AM

I have flown a 330X for a little while and would like to move up a little. I will be building my own frames for the next one, but need a control board. I would like something plug and play that will allow for auto stabilization in a hover, and altitude hold. I don't really need GPS or autopilot. What is out there?

Syed Saad 04-23-2011 12:28 AM

Hello irish.<div>
</div><div>I wana ask you about the formula or the method to find the lift created by a motor/propeller combination in a quadrotor.</div><div>
</div><div>Someone told me that there isn't any such type of formula. If there isn't then please let me know that on what specs of the motor or propeller does the lift depends? </div><div>
</div><div>Waiting.........</div>

roxyboby 05-20-2011 01:58 AM

Hi !
This is Roland. I have a Draganfly vti-pro since 2007. haven't flown much. am interested in getting into aerial photography and want your openion on whether to go in for a MK or a hoverfly.
Any comparison between the two would help.

Thanks

capuleen 06-14-2011 12:53 PM

Hi
I just built a tricopter using kkuk controler. I don't have any pitch gyro compensation on tail motor (M3) but Roll and Yaw gyro compensation works just fine when I move the arms up and down. I realy don't know what am I doing, I even tried to reverse the gyro and I got flashy light to confirm the change but nothing is happening.
Any info would help. Thank you

coomarlin 06-19-2011 03:33 PM

I've been out of RC for the last 4-5 years now and saw my first quad copter on saturday. Didn't get a chance to learn much about them but did find out that the guy built it from scratch, used 4 brushless motors, 4 ESC, a gyro, and an 11.1V Lipo pack. MY only experience with e-flight is a foam edge 540 plane I built with that has a castle creations ESC and a AXI brushless motor.

I searched the forum and read several threads showing some quads but I was hoping for a more informative resource on all of the parts and specs I'd need to build one. What parts do I need, part numbers, specs, etc?

All I got from the guy I talked to on saturday was that he had about $100 in the gyro, $10 in each motor, $10 in each ESC. Made it sound like I could put one together for about $200. This sound right?

gabtrac 10-18-2011 04:03 PM

Hi,
I am extremely new to quad copters, octo copters - anycopters.
BUT I am eager to learn and get one built. Is there a book, magazine, website, anything that cangive me a grounding education in this subject?

Thanks,
ak

scooterinvegas 10-18-2011 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: gabtrac

Hi,
I am extremely new to quad copters, octo copters - anycopters.
BUT I am eager to learn and get one built. Is there a book, magazine, website, anything that cangive me a grounding education in this subject?

Thanks,
ak
http://www.rcgroups.com/multi-rotor-helis-659/

All the info you could ever need or want

gabtrac 10-19-2011 06:17 PM

Thanks!

rogersteen 12-07-2011 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Irish,
I have a Draganflyer SAVS that I crashed on the maiden flight a few years back, and it's been sitting in my closet since then. The video camera appears to be broken but it doesn't seem to me like it's all that damaged. The original repair kit is included as well as extra batteries (don't know how long these batteries are good for without being in service).

I was hoping to get some advice on selling it. Just list it in the classified ad? Do an auction?
I've taken a few pictures which I'll hopefully be able to upload after I write this.
Thanks for your help, Irish.
Roger

Irlsh 12-25-2011 09:39 PM

hard to say, older units, but there still a fan club to draganflyer stuff your best bet would be to ebay it.

TJ Victor 12-28-2011 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: irish_

If you need some help/insight or advice or just chitchat, i have been flying and building quads for years. had my first about 8 years ago then a draganflyer 7 years ago these days i own an x-3d MK, quadpowered, tt-copter,kkmulticopter,fy90q, and several others so i have some advice to offer and or just have fun discussing :)
Hello Irish,I'm new to heli flight.Now I'm just flying simulator of 6ch,do you think it's workable for me to start with quads.thanks

TZZDC1241 02-12-2012 01:23 PM

Ok so long story short I'm a total newbie when it comes to RC heli's and UAV's though I'm looking at either a Gaui 500x or XAircraft 650 v4/8 ish. I'm wanting to do aerial photo/video for myself to start with and maybe discover whats the FAA fuss over commercial flying. I am considering picking up a GPS unit along with the copter to have a fail safe just in case.<div style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-top: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">
Couple of questions that I have:

1. I live at 9000ft, flights would be ~9000-10000ft range (AGL maybe in the 100-200ft range above ground) and was wondering if there's any noticeable difference between a larger single rotor heli and the quads?
2. Keeping the altitude in mind would what would I need to lift off something like a Canon 7D + 17-40 f/4L? I dont have the weights handy but it would be a couple of Lb.
3. I'll likely be using a gopro hero 2 camera for photo and video initially but was wondering if either company offers controllable platforms themselves to attach on or is everything in the RC world flexible enough to accept 3rd party stuff?

4. What would I likely need to get initially to have a RTF system within the first day or so that I get it? I have seen 500x kits for about $650 that feature scorpion motors, gyro etc but still wonder on specifically the batteries I need for extended flights and I'm settling on a futuba radio thats likely 6-8ish channels.

With that being said I have limited experience with UAV's and I'm actually practicing on a toy RC heli to get a feel for just how to fly em and realize the 500x and 650 arent for beginers, besides a simulator does anyone have advice on picking up a parrot AR drone to use first then go to something more or just buy a 500/650 and SLOWLY learn just how to fly it?</div>

cress 03-05-2012 07:51 PM

New in quad copters. :eek: I have X525 with a kk black board. The problem is the motors are surging.
I can set it at 1/4 throttle & hold it in my hand & the motors will surge to full even when I hold it
still. first one of the rear motors then both of the front motors. don't dare put it on the ground to try it out.
any ideas????

sonat 04-15-2012 07:34 PM

sonat 04-15-2012 07:48 PM

I am very curious
What is the biggest quad available and what company offer it
and can support big payload, My dog want to fly
just kidding

gurkburk 04-16-2012 01:52 AM

ORIGINAL: sonat

I am very curious
What is the biggest quad available and what company offer it
and can support big payload, My dog want to fly
just kidding

Maybe both you and your dog can fly this one:

www.youtube.com/watch
<br type="_moz" />

needforspeed95 05-09-2012 12:31 PM

I have a belt cp v2 and it is fun, but it is too difficult for casual flying on windy days, which is pretty much everyday where I live.  Are quad/multi copters easier to fly? How do they handle wind? Thanks for any advice.</p>

randall1959 05-13-2012 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: needforspeed95

Are quad/multi copters easier to fly? How do they handle wind? Thanks for any advice.</p>
Quads are as easy to fly as coaxials. They also handle wind better than any heli, either fp, or cp. My advice is to start with a simple board like the KK, get the cheapest electronics you can, then once you're proficient at flying it, you can decide to move up. The kk board offers the most bang for the buck of any board out there at the moment.
https://vimeo.com/37278268
Here's a rather new board that's out called the "Rabbit" and it's becoming my favorite for hauling a camera.
https://vimeo.com/38675272

usmc5811 05-21-2012 06:52 PM

Well I was going to add to this thread by asking a question as suggested by the OP but...I see at least 3 questions posted that were never answered.

irish_ 06-22-2012 07:25 PM

hi some stuff gets answered in PM. but ask away someone will chime in, do what i can

rem0.061 06-28-2012 04:34 PM

How does the yaw get controlled?