Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MVVS 6.5 disassembly help

I have an older MVVS (1995) engine that I need to replace the bearings. I am not having success in removing the sleeve. I have tried heating the case with a propane torch and gently prying under the bolts holding the cylinder casing to the base. I also tried using the casing bolts by unscrewing them to put pressure on the sleeve. I seems to be stuck and I don't want to beat it up taking it apart. I haven't tried putting it in an oven. And I assume that I'll have to do that to remove the bearings.

From the parts lists in Europe it looks like the sleeve should just slide up and out. I want to make sure there's not something holding it that I'm over looking.

Any suggestions?

Stan D

Never mind. I got it out. Just had to apply the heat a little more vigorously. Got apart and changed the bearings. It's all back together agian and ready to roar!
    It is irrational to fear an event, if when that event occurs we are not in existence. Epicuris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: MVVS 6.5 disassembly help

take the head off, and remove rear cover / carb. Loosen the prop drive, but do not take parts off. The prop drive taper is not self-locking, so should pop off easily.
    take the 4 screws that hold the cylinder jacket out.
    Heat the case until the cylinder jacket/sleeve assembly loosens. (loctite on jacket/case junction)
    it now is easy to remove the sleeve/piston/jacket/conrod assy from the engine
    with case still hot, and crankshaft loosened but still in place as bearing guide, tap case on a wooden block to get the rear bearing loose.
    remove rear bearing, re-insert crankshaft
    tap out the front bearing using the crankshaft as bearing guide

Assemble in reverse order using loctite between jacket and crankcase.

Case heating is best done with a paint stripper. Use just enough heat to get the job done (about 100°C or 200°F)
    Pe, (www.mvvs.nl), MVVS, MOKImotor, RCexl, MTW, Xoar, Mejzlik.
    Blessing in ignorance? There is sanctuary in analysis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks I got all done. Just needed a little more heat on the case!

Cheers
    Stan D
    It is irrational to fear an event, if when that event occurs we are not in existence. Epicuris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Love the paint stripper idea

I use the oven (my lady hates that) or a propane torch (leaves marks sometimes, and you have to be careful to "spread" the heat.