Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

Which ICU for 45 IRS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ICU for 45 IRS

I have an older Evolution 45GX engine (similar to the MVVS 45 IRS) that came with a Vlach ignition but uses the CM6 plug and has two magnets spaced 180 degrees apart. The original ignition broke and I replaced it with an RCexl ignition. the problem is thatt I'm not able to set the timing retarded enough for good reliable starts, and sometimes it starts in reverse rotation.

I need to replace the ignition and I am not sure which one to purchase.

The PRME catalog shows a 3312L Vlach which has the boot cap for14mm Brisk spark plugs with the Vlach type shielded boot which obviously will not fit, and the 3314L ICU Light which has boot cap for M10mm x 1 CM6 spark plugs. Given the magnet configuration,; Which ICU should I purchase? Please help.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
octanehuffer

Default RE: Which ICU for 45 IRS

I put a CH ignition on my 45GX2. Best thing that ever happened to it. My ignition came with an aluminum bracket that has enough adjustment for at least 20 degrees
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vlach > ICU ignition will work, but it has the old Vlach plug caps. You will have to change the plug caps
The ICU-L will work if you change the prop drive to one with 120° magnet orientation.

The Rcexl works well if you position the sensor to fire at 28°BTDC. To that end, use the South pole magnet so there is room to attach the sensor bracket. The Hall sensor should then have the chamfered side towards the magnet.
You cannot use the original Vlach sensor location! Because Vlach AND ICU fire at about top dead center. If you want to use the original sensor position with Rcexl, your prop drive needs to have the magnet repositioned. That is best done with the magnet in an adjustable ring mounted on the prop drive. You need a machinist near you to make one.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM
AirTech

Thank you very much for the information. It seems to me the easiest way to go is to get the Vlach ignition and replace the boot cap. I have replaced them before and it is a very simple job. I will be ordering the parts trough the website. Your quick response is very much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
pe reivers

Thanks. I will not be responding to your personal mail then, but awaiting your further actions.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
AirTech

I'm very sorry but I was mistaken in regards the spark plug type. I was confusing my 26GT plug (which is an NGK CM6) with the one in the 45 IRS which actually have a Champion RDJ6J. I cross referenced the RDJ6J and it shows that the NGK BPMR7A is the direct replacement alternative. I noticed your catalog shows the NGK BMR6F 14mm taper seat spark plug (16mm Hex) as the closest match available. My question is; If I purchase the Vlach ignition upgrade, will the booth in this ICU fit either of these plugs without the need of replacing the booth cap?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 AM
pe reivers

"Either plug" will not fit. Only the R6F type will do because it has a taper seat, just like the champion RDJ6J plug
The R6A type plug has a flat seat, and is not a direct replacement alternative.
The Vlach-ICU replacement has the same plug boot like the old Vlach it replaces. It also has the timing to suit the Vlach magnet/sensor position
Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 AM
AirTech

Mr. Reivers,

Thank you for the delivery of my new ignition and spark plug. I purchase the Brisk plug to make sure the plug boot was a perfect fit. I need to make sure the plug is gaped correctly; What's the optimum gap for the Brisk plug. Thank you again for your service and quick response.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 PM
pe reivers

0.6mm. This is the thickness of a hacksaw blade.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
AirTech

I'm having a major difficulty with the new ignition you sol me for the 45 IRS. According to your instructions "Vlach to ICU conversion Electronic ignition (for 2S LiPo). The ignition has the boot cap for14mm Brisk spark plugs with the Vlach type shielded boot. This ignition can be used to update old Vlach equipped engines to the new ICU ignitions." The problem I have is that the boot on the ignition I received doesn't does not fit either the Brisk plug or the Champion R6J6 original plug. The boot silicone sleeve is too large to hold these plugs.

I'm including photos to illustrate what's happening. On photo 1 you can see both the old RCexel ignition and the new MSR ignitions. Note the booth on the MSR ignition doesn't reassemble the booth shown on the Instruction Manual. This boot doesn't even have the ground wire shown on the manual photo.

On photos 2 and 3 you can see both plugs don't fit the MSR booth, and on photo 4 you can see the obvious difference in internal diameter between both booths. Am I missing something here? Please let me know what's wrong with this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82233.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1783611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24477.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1783612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75871.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1783613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf97060.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1783614  
Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM
pe reivers

There is nothing wrong with your pictures. You must use the old Vlach ignition lower boot, and use the conversion ignition and brisk plug with sawed off top. They will fit. Without the Vlach lower boot, nothing will fit.
If you saw off the top of the tapered seat 14mm thread plug, that will also fit if using the Vlach lower boot..
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

There is nothing wrong with your pictures. You must use the old Vlach ignition lower boot, and use the conversion ignition and brisk plug with sawed off top. They will fit. Without the Vlach lower boot, nothing will fit.
If you saw off the top of the tapered seat 14mm thread plug, that will also fit if using the Vlach lower boot..
Now I'm really confused! What do you mean by the "Vlach ignition lower boot". I don't have a Vlach ignition to start with. As you may be able to tell from photo one what I was using originally was a Rxcel ignition. As I previously explained the Champion plug fits nicely and the Brisk also fits the Rxcel booth except that the sawed off top of the Brisk plug doesn't make contact with the spring inside the booth.

The bottom line is; What must I obtain to make this new ignition fit the Champion plug?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
pe reivers

In your post #1, you said you replaced the Vlach ignition with RCexl? So you still should have the Vlach lower plug boot. The CM6 plug you mention is not standard older type 45 with magnets at 180°, These engines all had M14x1.25 plugs. To fit the CM6 plug, you either had to insert a thread reducer, or replace the cylinder with a new type.
If the cylinder has an M10 plug thread, you need to use CM6 plugs. The Vlach boot must be removed from the ignition and replaced with an RCexl boot for CM6 plugs.
If the cylinder has an M14x1.25 plug thread with tapered seat, all you need is the lower Vlach plug boot. BTW, this is the same lower boot as on ZDZ engines.

See post #3 where I explained this as well.

The ignition I sent to Mr Molina, Peru IN, (is that you?) is the only MSR-ICU ignition that works correctly with the magnets at 180°. It has the Vlach upper plug boot. No other options are sold with this specific ignition.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

In your post #1, you said you replaced the Vlach ignition with RCexl? So you still should have the Vlach lower plug boot. The CM6 plug you mention is not standard older type 45 with magnets at 180°, These engines all had M14x1.25 plugs. To fit the CM6 plug, you either had to insert a thread reducer, or replace the cylinder with a new type.
If the cylinder has an M10 plug thread, you need to use CM6 plugs. The Vlach boot must be removed from the ignition and replaced with an RCexl boot for CM6 plugs.
If the cylinder has an M14x1.25 plug thread with tapered seat, all you need is the lower Vlach plug boot. BTW, this is the same lower boot as on ZDZ engines.

See post #3 where I explained this as well.

The ignition I sent to Mr Molina, Peru IN, (is that you?) is the only MSR-ICU ignition that works correctly with the magnets at 180°. It has the Vlach upper plug boot. No other options are sold with this specific ignition.
I'm sorry if I misled you, I though the original ignition was made by Vlach. I don't have that ignition anymore, it was destroyed in and accident I I threw it away. The original ignition was encased in a metal box and the booth was similar to the one on the Rxcel ignition. The original ignition was designed to work with the 14mm Champion plug. I was wrong when I said it came with a CM6 plug, that was a confusion on my part.

What I can make sense right now is that I need a Vlach lower boot to be able to install the new ICU with the Brisk (or maybe the Champion plug, I'm not sure). Do you sell this lower booth or do you know were I can get one?

I'm sorry for all the confusion on my part and I will appreciate whatever assistance you may be able to provide in getting this problem solved.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
pe reivers

who are you?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:57 PM
AirTech

I'm Rafael Molina in Peru, Indiana

I purchase the Vlach to ICU conversion Electronic ignition (for 2S LiPo) from you.

I just need to know if the Vlach lower booth is available were I can order from.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 PM
pe reivers

I still have one or two lying around. Mail me preivers at home.nl
Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM
AirTech

What's the metric thread size for the center bolt hole on the propeller screw (part no. 1105) on the 45 IRS engine. I need to install a spinner and will like to use this bolt instead of a 10mm adapter.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 AM
pe reivers

M5