Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS 26 ccm connecting rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM
rcplaincrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 26 ccm connecting rod

I have a and older mvvs 26 ccm the number stamped on the bottom of the crankcase is 1382 it is has the red head, on top of the piston are the following numbers 04.05.04
The engine has 8 flights on it and less than .75 gallons of fuel through it I thought I was doing everything correctly but yesterday there was a strange noise coming from the engine I landed the plane checked the engine and it was unusually stiff to turn I dissassembled the enginge and found The conecting rod bearing rubbed against the backplate and you can see a small crack and a blueish burn near the crack from overheating I suppose.

I have not fully leaned out the high speed needle yet. I am using mobile 1 MX2T at 32 : 1 ratio I have the 3226 tuned pipe and am running a 11x 6 xoar prop I did not install the cowl so the motor could get the proper cooling I was simply flying nice easy circles at varying throttle to avoid overheating the new engine
What would cause the connecting rod to rub against the backplate? and what do I need to do to fix it

on the horizon site they show a connecting rod and bearings will this fit this engine
http://www.evolutionengines.com/Prod...D=EVO3094N0951

Are the evolution parts the same and will they work in this engine.

any and all help would be greatly appreciatated
Thank you Mike

Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 26 ccm connecting rod

The needle bearing has failed, probably by using low octane fuel. You need to replace both connecting rod AND crankshaft.
11x6 must be a typo?
The engine is AT LEAST 5 years old. The other engine mounting flange has a letter denoting the year of build. What ignition is fitted?
These early engines were at the upper design load limit of the big end bearing, so were prone to failure if any engine parameter went out of whack. Service life can be vastly improved by adding two extra shims under the head. Fuel must be premium lead-free of at least 91PON, preferably 93 octane.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
rcplaincrazy

Thank You for the prompt reply

yes the prop size is a typo the prop is 18 x 6 xoar
there is a letter E on the other mounting flange
the ignition is the vlach EZM1T

so how can I be sure I order the right parts?

Thanks Mike
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the "E" is for the production year 2003
You need to mention the crankpin 8mm diameter when you order the crankshaft and connecting rod. (Engines changed to 9mm diameter late 2007)
Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
rcplaincrazy

from your website I found this list of parts can you confirm they are correct and do you have them in stock will there be a problem with shipping these to USA

would the head gasket be the same as a shim
head gasket 26cc Item # 3094 - 503

Extra hard alu connecting rod assy
Item # 3094 - 951

26cc crankshaft 8mm
Item # 3094 - 1001

will this prop drive washer work with an rcexcell ignition #RCO9 on this engine
26cc prop drive washer for ICU ignitions
Item # 3094 i 1101

Thanks again for your help
Mike