Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

Fuel question for MMVS .49 glow engine.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:41 AM
RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel question for MMVS .49 glow engine.

Hello All

I have two MVVS .49 glow engines that are installed in a twin engine plane (one has a rerversed crank just for fun) so it is important that they run reliably. I do use on board glow that kicks in progressively at low power.

I have always been using fuel with 0% or 5% Nitro and 20% oil (50/50 synth/castor) and been very happy with the engines. However, my fuel supplier stopped mixing fuel so now I only have access to pre-mixed fuel. Most of it has 10%+ Nitro with 17% synth oil. I did find a mix with:

- 0% nitro
- 15% ML70 synthetic oil

Can this be used if I mix in 5-7% castor for a 20-22% oil content (only 25-31% castor)?

What do you think? Of course I could just try it out but I am a bit worried because Im using the engines in a twin.

Thanks for your comments/help
/RCer

Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel question for MMVS .49 glow engine.

We have run these engines on as little as 2% castor oil without failures. However, try consistent running on synthetic oil first. if the engines takes well to it for a series of flights, all is well even without castor. If not, engine performance and tunability will get worse with every tankful, to be restored when the engine gets castor again.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Pe

Thank you very much for your expert advice.

Do you think the 0% nitro, 15% synth will be enough oil to try out with or should I increase it to 20% synth?

Thanks
RCer
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just try the engine on the fuel at zero nitro/17% oil. If it keeps running strong you are good to go.
The small MVVS do not like synthetic oil at all, but with the larger ones we had good results.