Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS .49 silencer problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 PM
RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS .49 silencer problems.

Hello

I have 2 MVVS .49 engines with the quite silencer.

My problem is that the silencer is a two part design helt together with rivets. Both silencers are coming apart. The rear half is loose on both of them and oil is leaking out the seam in the middle. Both props are balanced and the engines does not seem to vibrate excessively but still both silencers have become loose in the center.

Anyone who can recommend how to fix this?

Alternatively if thats not possible maybe suggest an alternative silencer which will fit the MVVS .49. MVVS does not sell silencers for this engine anymore it seems. Also I would prefere a different silencer as I am a bit astounded that both have become bad. I live in Denmark so a source for an alternate muffler that can be obtained in Europe would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kind regards
RCer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	371
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	2117390  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Old tread but here goes...
The MVVS silencer can be fixed by drilling three small holes through the sides of the silencer beside the rivets and screw in some small metal screws.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 AM
RCer

Thanks for the reply albeit a bit late. I have since replaced them with the tuned pipe. I was lucky to find some. I still have the silent muffler so I think I will try fix them and go back. They sound better.

how do you make the small screws stick? I can tap the drilled holes for 3mm screws but the silencer wall thickness is quite thin.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
3mm screws are way too big.Use small self tapping metall screws instead.
Those I used on my own silencer had a tread diameter of 2mm.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 AM
RCer

Ok. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have one of these mufflers too. Mine broke to where it’s not repairable the way I see it. I’ll see if I can find the pieces and post a picture. The tail section that’s riveted to the front - mine broke before the “band” the rivets go through. The aluminum cracked. The aluminum is very thin and riveting probably isn’t the best way to manufacture mufflers. Probably why they nearly went out of business.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:17 PM
vonagner

Hello
I'm sorry to contact you in an totally subject. I'm looking for an MVVS .49 (8.0cc) to buy. I have one, in my 40 Kaos and it is fantastic. I wonder if you have or know someone willing to sell the above engine..
Thank you very much.
Gus
Old 06-10-2022, 06:42 AM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi!
I have a new one in box ! Never run! And many spares too for the MVVS glow/diesel/petrol engines