Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

116 and 152 commonality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 116 and 152 commonality?

Hey, is the 152 based on the same case and carb as the 116? Would a 116 to 152 conversion be possible? New jugs, pistons and a change of a carb jet sort of thing?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 116 and 152 commonality?

I do not think so. As far as I can judge this moment, the only common parts are the prop central bolt, prop nut, prop washer and ignition.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM
wheels

Thanks for the reply Pe I appretiate it.

From your website

"The engine is based on the 116cc crankcase, and the short stroke 80cc cylinder/piston design, with even further reduced stroke for most compact packaging.

A further devellopment of the very powerful 116cc along the shorter stroke philosophy, this engine is targeted at about 13 hp open exhaust sustained power, not useless peak peek readings which may exceed sustained power by 20%."

That would indicate a common crank case, but possible a different crank shaft? When you say that they have a common "prop central bolt" are you refering to the crank shaft? If that is common as well then I think what we're looking at is a 116 with bigger pistons. Information on evolutionengines.com indicates a common carb/reed system (makes sense with a common crank case).

Also the dimensional drawings show that the plug hole to plug hole distance is the same for the 116 and 152 so that is good evidence although not proof that the crank is the same......... I'm very curious about this.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is "based on" the 116, but I would not bet my life that the base componets are the same. Stroke is the same, but the jugs are different.
If I were MVVS the parts would interchange, but I am not. The 116 is a square stroke engine, the new disigns are short stroke for lower weight, so that will prohibit using the same outer jug dimensioning.
The 80cc jug flange and stud pitch are different from the 58 as used in the 116, so the crankcase certainly is not the same. The connecting rods certainly are also different.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM
wheels

Thanks for the info, it's an interesting question, but after having looked at the prices for the parts one would need. jugs, pistons, etc. You'd be well past half-way to the price of a 152 anyway, might as well kick in the extra cash and have two motors.