Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

EVO 26GT - old style

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 AM
timLQ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EVO 26GT - old style

Is there any way to check the igintion without damaging it?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EVO 26GT - old style

Yes, of course there is.
take out the lower plug boot and fit the plug in it. Assenble the HT cable with upper boot over the plug. keep making contact between plug boot and engine, and check away as much as you need!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
timLQ

Thank you for your response. That is what I intended to do but was told that it would somehow destroy the ignition module. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
timLQ

Hello again,

OK, I have no spark. My igition battery 4.8V is fully charged at 5.1V. What is supposed to be inside the spark plug boot? When I look in there I see a small spring and that is all. Is something missing in there? If not, I guess I will need a new iginition module. Is the only one that will work the EVO brand from Horizon Hobbies or do others work?

Thank you.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 PM
pe reivers

That small spring is all you should see.
The old ignitions are no longer serviced. If you want to replace it you will need the new ICU and drive washer that goes with it.
However:
The ignition being dead can be due to the hall sensor. Get a Hall sensor for a DL engine, splice it in, and see if you get a spark. Much cheaper than replacing the complete ignition. If that fails, well, you tried!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
timLQ

Thank you for the quick response. Other than that, the engine is trash then? No other igition will work?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

That small spring is all you should see.
The old ignitions are no longer serviced. If you want to replace it you will need the new ICU and drive washer that goes with it.
However:
The ignition being dead can be due to the hall sensor. Get a Hall sensor for a DL engine, splice it in, and see if you get a spark. Much cheaper than replacing the complete ignition. If that fails, well, you tried!
Hey Tim,

Before you go cutting up your Hall sensor cable check to see if you have continuity across the plug lead and ground. You will need an Ohm-meter, and all you have to do is measure between the contact spring and the metal boot case. The meter should read approximately 2 to 3 meghoms. The old ignitions use a cooper core HV line with a 3 meghom resistor. The resistor is embedded inside the cable just were it joins the boot and one end is inserted inside the copper wire while the other end makes contact with the contact spring. Sometimes the resistor looses contact with the copper core due to corrosion, and or breaks at the spring end.

If you find the HV cable to boot connection is open the folks at [link=http://www.ch-ignitions.com/]C.H. Ignitions [/link] sell a very nice fully shielded spark plug boot kit for 10mm (NGK CM6) plugs. They also carry a single cylinder ignition which sells for $79.95 versus $185 for an Evolution module. I believe their new ignition kits for the Evolution 26 come with the Hall sensor that mounts directly to the crankcase. In the past you needed to grind off the mounting flat on the crankcase and install the sensor with a metal strap. If your engine have a single magnet in the drive washer I don't think you need to modify the washer, but is better you phone C.H. to verify this information.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
timLQ

HI,

Thanks for the lead and advice. I will check the continunity and go from there.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
pe reivers

the single magnet and double magnet drive washer have the same polarity for the magnet that fires the ignition. The second magnet has a reversed polarity and will not fire the RCexcl or CH ignition.
CH makes a drive washer with their set that replaces the old washer, just like MVVS does in their upgrade set (which is not 185 dollars!)
Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
AirTech

the single magnet and double magnet drive washer have the same polarity for the magnet that fires the ignition. The second magnet has a reversed polarity and will not fire the RCexcl or CH ignition.
CH makes a drive washer with their set that replaces the old washer, just like MVVS does in their upgrade set (which is not 185 dollars!)
Thank you for the clarification. I was referring to a complete new ignition from [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVO30943312]Horizon Hobbies[/link], and they cost $185 plus S&H.

I was not aware of an upgrade from MVVS and I am very much interested in purchasing a new Ignition assembly for a 45GX. Could you publish a link for the MVVS upgrades? Thank you.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 PM
pe reivers

I have the link in every message I write.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM
AirTech

I have the link in every message I write.
Thank you for the link and please let my apologize because I didn't meant to hijack your forum. I was not aware you have such extensive support for MVVS engines, and I am glad to find out since this is my engine of choice.

I own an Evolution 45GX (MVVS 45IRS-MG) which I believe has the older Vlach ignition. The current ignition broke and I repaired the best I could but I don't think is fully reliable. If I replace the Vlach ignition with the new ICU ignition; Do I need to replace the drive washer?

Since the Mobil 2T Racing oil is no longer available in the U.S.A.; Can you mail Putoline oil to the states without too many import regulations and added cost? I sure appreciate any help you may be able to provide since Evolution support from Horizon Hobbies here is very poor to say the least. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:21 PM
pe reivers

I still have a supply of the original MVVS oil, which in fact it the Mobil 1 two stroke racing oil, mixed and colored red for MVVS. The Putoline line is a good and lower cost alternative.
For deliveries outside the European community I do not charge VAT (sales tax). I also believe the US customs does not charge anything on toy parts (the way I ship items), but if they do, that is out of my control. I keep all my activities legal, and normally do not answer any questions regarding reducing customs load. Every citizen has his own responsibility here.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM
AirTech

I still have a supply of the original MVVS oil, which in fact it the Mobil 1 two stroke racing oil, mixed and colored red for MVVS. The Putoline line is a good and lower cost alternative.
For deliveries outside the European community I do not charge VAT (sales tax). I also believe the US customs does not charge anything on toy parts (the way I ship items), but if they do, that is out of my control. I keep all my activities legal, and normally do not answer any questions regarding reducing customs load. Every citizen has his own responsibility here.
Thank you for your feedback. Maybe I wasn't too clear in my previous message. I didn't meant to ask you how to reduce my customs tariffs or tax duties. Is just that I never have imported anything from Europe and I don't have an idea of the actual procedure. Suppose I need to educate myself and do some research with U.S. Customs before I order products from overseas. Thank you for your prompt response.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:51 PM
pe reivers

For US citizens, there will be no customs hassle. The postman brings your orders right to your doorstep. You sign for receipt and that is it.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 PM
AirTech

For US citizens, there will be no customs hassle. The postman brings your orders right to your doorstep. You sign for receipt and that is it.
That sounds great, easier than I though. Thank you for the information and I will be contacting you later in regards getting the 45GX ignition module.