Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS 58 HIGH IDLE

Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 PM
MatriX40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 58 HIGH IDLE

I HAVE A MVVS 58 WHICH SUFFERED A CRASH WITH A TREE 2 YRS AGO. IT SAT FOR SINCE THEN. I RECIEVED A EDGE540 TO MAKE A GOOD HOME FOR THE ENGINE. NOW THE ENGINE WOULD NOT FIRE I FOUND THE CARB WAS NOT PULLING FUEL. I REMOVED THE WALBRO HDA 189 CARB AND THOROUGHLY CLEANED AND REASSEMBLED THE CARB. I SET UP THE CARB NEEDLES AT 1.5L AND 2H. THE ENGINE STARTED VERY EASILY AND RUNS FINE. I SET UP MY RADIO TO GIVE ME A NICE CONSTANT (PUT PUT) IDLE, BUT THE ENGINE WILL NOT FALL BACK TO THAT NICE IDLE WHEN FULL THROTTLE IS GIVEN FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. THE IDLE IS SO HIGH THAT LANDING MY EDGE WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT FORCING IT TO THE GROUND. I KNOW I HAVE A MIXTURE ISSUE BUT AFTER SEVERAL HOURS OF TINKERING I DECIDED TO ASK THE HIGHER POWERS. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR PAST EXPERIENCES FROM ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 AM
pauldo

Default RE: MVVS 58 HIGH IDLE

If you can cut the engine by closing the throttle further, than it is not a mechanical problem. I once had a problem with my MVVS 58 where the screw holding the throttle butterfly in place, came loose. You need to close the throttle with this screw loose, and ensure that the butterfly seats properly against the walls of the carb walls. This can sometimes take some fiddling. When tight, look through it, and see that it closes evenly all the way around the butterfly.

Another problem I have had is the small mesh filter gets blocked in the carb. You think is is clean, until you hold it up to the light. After a couple of years of storage, you may find that the residual oil has dried in this filter, partially blocking it. I had all sorts of idling problems when this happened. A lean idle raises the idle speed, and the throttle linkage only needs a fraction more movement to cut the motor.

Good Luck
Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idle mixture probably is too rich, which forces you to have the throttle too wide open for a reliable idle.
with the engine warmed up, find the idle needle setting that gives best rpm at a few clicks open, and open the L needle 1/4 turn from that setting.
Proceed with the H-needle and tune for best rpm. Open up to the verge of loosing rpm.
Check throttle response. The engine should react well to a quiet throttle application, and slightly lag when you horse the throttle.
Add some servo speed delay in your TX if possible. If not, either learn to throttle up controlled, or slight open up the low needle.

If with these settings the problem persists, suspect air leaks somewhere between throttle valve and piston. (gaskets, front seal, cracked case etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
MatriX40

I SUSPECT I AM TOO RICH. I JUST DIDNT KNOW IF IT WAS HIGH OR LOW. I REMOVED THE SPARK PLUG AND IT WAS WET. I WANT A RICH SETTING OBVIOUSLY TO ENSURE NO ENGINE DAMAGE BUT I DONT THINK THE PLUG SHOULD BE WET. AS FAR AS MY MECHANICAL AND RADIO ADJUSTMENTS GOES I HAVE IT SET UP THAT IF I SLIDE MY THROTTLE TRIM DOWN THE ENGINE WILL SHUT OFF. IF I SLIDE IT UP THE ENGINE RUNS AT A HIGH IDLE (THIS IS WHERE I SET THROTTLE FOR START UP). WHEN THE TRIM IS IN THE CENTER IT IDLES VERY WELL.

SO 1.5 TURNS ON THE LOW END IS TOO RICH? AND IF I LEAN OUT THE LOW END TOO FAR WHAT RISK DO I HAVE OF DAMAGING THE ENGINE AT IDLE OR W.O.T. I AM SORT OF OLD SCHOOL IN WHICH I CHECK THE SPARK PLUG TO SEE IF I AM RICH OR LEAN. ALSO THE ENGINE STARTS SO EASILY AT MY CURRENT SETTINGS, WILL I RUN INTO STARTING ISSUES WITH LEANING OUT THE LOW END. I WILL PLAN ON EXPERIMENTING MORE WITH IT TOMARROW. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU HELP! IF YOU CAN THINK OF OTHER SUGGESTIONS LET ME KNOW THANKS AGAIN
Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
pe reivers

Please turn off your caps lock! There is no need for shouting.
Tune like I said. Gas engines are not like glow engines, and you will foul your plug if you keep running like this. You also will create a lot of mess inside your engine.
Surely, the well tuned engine will be a little bit harder to start without choke. You will need to use the choke properly, because cold engines need slightly more fuel. This however is not a big deal.  When I watch the starting line, well tuned engines always seem to have a very predictable number of flips to get going. Badly tuned engines are a pain to watch.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 AM
janch

L........ 1 3/4
H..... 1 1/3
Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM
MatriX40

Hey guys, i think iv got it. for one it was running extremely rich. i had said earlier that my plug was soaked. i went a step further and attached card board to my fuse to collect fuel that was exiting the exhaust. so using that as a measurment tool. i leaned out the engine until very little is acually exiting the exhaust, with that i removed the plug after a good 10 minutes of part throttle and full throttle i was happy to see my plug was a dark brown instead of a wet black. this however did not fix my high idle. still frustrated i returned back to what pe reivers had mentioned about a possible air leak. i removed the carb and had found the gasket had a slight tear and had dropped down leaving a gap for air to leak in. i must have missed it when i reinstalled the carb for its cleaning. i went to a local parts store and bought some thin gasket paper and carefully remove the old gasket and traced it to make an exact match of the old gasket. i then restarted the engine and the idle now settled back down almost immediatley from full throttle. now it is still running slightly on the rich side obviously now that i have fixed my air leak, but its not making a huge mess on my cardboard, and too rich is better then too lean so i will probably leave it were it is, plus it still starts like a dream.(3 flips choked,5 flips and its running) i would like to thank you guys for helping me with my problem. you were great. and sorry about the caps lock
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 AM
pe reivers

Good that you found the problem.
Too rich is too rich, and you should tune that out, until plug readings after a full throttle run are pale, but not white.
Inside the plug housing, where ceramic meets metal, there should be a black ring. The black ring indicates that you are not running too lean.
It may be hard to see. A maglite helps.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:06 PM
MatriX40

thanks again for all your help!