Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sadler Vampire from Nitro Models

Sadler Vampire from Nitro Models question. Is the 3.5” recommended for the CG correct? In the manual they show two different ones (75mm= 3in or 90mm= 3.5in)don’t know which one to use.
    Bobby V

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sadler Vampire from Nitro Models

Either or anywhere in between.

As long as the plane sits with the nose gear on the ground ( once the batteries are in place ), it will fly.

The further back you put the C.G. the more responsive the tail will be up to the 3.5"-3.8" limit.

C.G.'s are really more of suggestion. I use the "that looks about right" rule and work from there.

Normally ( with exceptions ) if the plane balances at or in front of the wing bar/tube you should be alright.

Of course when in doubt the on-line C.G. calculators of of great help.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you very much for your response to my question. It was an interesting answer and I’ll be sure to apply it other’s that I plan on building. Thanks again.
    Bobby V

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On most straight winged planes anywhere in front of 25% of the chord is perfectly safe.

For swept wing and bi-planes you want to have the C.G. forward of 25% of the mean chord length.

Many of my 3D planes go back as far as 30-40% but the latter can be iffy.

With the Vampire it is almost difficult to get the C.G. too far back if the plane sits level on the ground when ready to fly.

For it to sit level the C.G. has to be in front of the wing landing gear area, which is in turn also in front of the 25% chord mark.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.