Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Shorts Tucano T1-120

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Shorts Tucano T1-120

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Shorts Tucano T1-120

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Mpizpilot

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 AM
BMarks4645

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mpizpilot, Mine was retract ready but no fg insert. Ditto on my wing tubes, good fit. My wing saddles are not perfectly straight and tight against the root ribs. I will need to correct this as baldwind did. Mains are Springair, from a previous Mustang, slightly worn but OK. I mentioned this on original post, page one. Also regarding baldwind post, I am using a pumped YS so tank being high should not be a problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Mpizpilot

Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 PM
baldwind

I used the Behotec C36 retracts with trailing links. I soon realized that i should have ordered offset legs so that the nice aluminum rims could be shown instead of the brake plate. It just never get's perfect.
http://www.altecare.com/retracts.htm
Wheels and brakes from the same place
http://www.altecare.com/wheelbrake.htm.
You are lucky to have composite tube and sockets. My wings was just fine the first couple of flights, but after about 15-20 flights it started to get flimsy.
The extra weight of my plane adds up to this issue i guess.
About me being satisfied with theTucano: This is the most interesting plane i have had so far I have tried all kinds of models and most of them has "a little something" but this is just awesome. I got a little tired of my lightweight models "ballooning around the field"
I love the realistic looks of the Tucano, and the flying characteristics is very scale. It does most aerobatic maneuvers. It is predictable, yet has to be actively flown to manage well trough the flights.

I simply love it!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Mpizpilot

Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 PM
BMarks4645

baldwind, what is the weight of your plane?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 AM
baldwind

ORIGINAL: BMarks4645

baldwind, what is the weight of your plane?
The weight of my plane is about 13 pounds (6 kilos)
The manual said around 9-10 pounds
Mostly because of the heavy landing gear, one extra battery for the light system two extra servo for bomb drop and that i glassed my wings.
I also scanned all stickers and made them as water slide decals instead.(much thinner)
I applied the water decals, and then i coated everything with two layers of 2comp clear coat (spray can with the ability to add hardener for use on cars ). The stickers is therefor impossible to peel off.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 AM
BMarks4645

Thank you. Mine weighs 15.75 pounds. I have a fetish about building lightweight models as most of my experience is with pattern and aerobatics. "A model flies better on it's wings than on raw power". When I received this one I was concerned about the weight as I noted in my early posts. The wing, stab and elevator ribs and spars are not constructed of balsa but the "far east" balsa substitute, much more dense than balsa. A club member, an expert scale builder, says I should not be overly concerned as long as I have sufficient power.

I will pray and fly!

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Mpizpilot

Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

I purchased a Blue and Grey one the other day. I went down to the field to have a look as it has been closed for about a month due to flooding here in Brisbane Queensland and come home with a Shorts Tucano T1 120.

There was no instructions in the box so I downloaded from KMP site.

The plane is to advanced for me to fly at present. Still on my Learners. but will use as a build project.

I pulled all the stuff out of the sealed bags and there a few things missing and a couple of things I have no idea what they are for.

Also noticed that the wheel wells are to small for the wheels that came with it.

I was thinking about putting electric retracts in but not sure yet.

Would like to put a petrol/gas motor in but I think that there is not enough room, So looking at an ASP 120FS or may be a 91 2S as the engine seems to be able to be hinen in the cowl but like the FS's better.

I will post some pics of my kit and ask some questions as I go.
I have enjoyed reading this thread heaps of info.

regards greg
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

Will try a pic post,

The 6 little ply cutouts. Anyone know what they are for?

The single little dowel (for want of a better word) not sure what it is.

Not enough servo blocks for the Flaps/Ailerons. Will replace all with a new set of blocks.

[img][/img]
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

Here is a Pic of the Fuse. The Blue on the fuse is Metalic and looks quite good. The wings are just a solid colour.

Here is the landing gear. Both fixed and legs for retracts.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

I also found these washer type things. Looked like they were used between the engine mount and fuse as vibration mounts.

The manual has something called Shockproof distance piece (5mm)-4pcs which I assume are these.

I think I have worked out that the 6 little ply bits are for the canopy mount but still have no idea where they are intended to go.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

This is the box art pic.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

The tire is to big for the wheel well?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 AM
baldwind

You got the color i was trying to get, but i ended up with the green one.
I Have the manual. If you wish, i can scan and mail it to you.
You are right with the washer plastic rubbery things it`s to reduce vibrations (if it works. i don`t know, but i used them)
In my kit i tried to bend some of the yellowish white plastic parts and as i was afraid of, they snapped much too easily /even the front landing gear plastic part snapped between four fingers (i would check this). The fuel tube also vent in the bin. Too stiff and more like plastic than silicone.
Also check the quality of the plastic wheel well covers. Mine started to crack already when i unpacked them. To fill the openings (make walls) for the already made holes for the well covers with balsa to make your own wells is a easy fix.
I think some of the dowels is intended for the machine gun pods and the fins under the horizontal stabilizer.
I made a floor inside the canopy and used a piano wire from the inside through the floor across both sides. Bended the wire as a hook underneath the floor and attached two rubber bands in the wingtube. the hooks attaches to the rubber band. Four dowels through the floor sides and into the airframe.
This way i can hide everything inside the fuselage under the canopy with easy access to air fill, batteries, fueling and so on.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
BMarks4645

BlackPhantomDragon , It was a stroke of good luck for baldwind to have the same kit. It's interesting that several distributors have basically the same kit but have variations on the parts. I'm impressed that Nitro's version is not all that bad.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM
BMarks4645

I'm posting a correction to my build notes. The weight of my Tucano is 11 pounds (4.9 Kilos) and not 15.75 pounds as recently posted. (my digital scale was inadvertently set on battery power and the batteries were failing and was giving a false reading). According to a recent article in Model Airplanes News by John Glezellis, John suggests not exceeding 12 pounds per Cu In of engine displacement for scale aircraft. My engine is 1.22 CuIn. Using 11 pounds my ratio would be 9 pounds per CuIn. So theoretically, using John's calcs, I could reach a maximum weight of 14.6 pounds and be safe. (Perhaps I may consider adding a lighting system).
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
BlackPhantomDragon

Thanks Baldwin.
Was thinking last night that I could make wheel wells and glue them in and they would probably look neater as well.

The 4 dowels are to connect the gun pods to the holders that then glue to the wing.

There is a hole in the formers at the top that has a air tank area and I think you glue a couple of dowels in then put an elastic band to hold tank in.

Thanks for the offer on the manual. Much appreciated but i managed to download one from KMP site. I assume it would be the same manual you gave.

Yeah the first thing I did with the supplied fuel line was junk it. My son just laughed at it when he took it out of the pack.

I am probably going with electric retracts at present. My LHS has a tricycle set for $225AU which is pretty good when I look at other prices around me. HK had some cheaper but don't think they will support the weight.

I am going to replace a lot of the bits and pieces as some look a bit suspect.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
BlackPhantomDragon

Good to hear the weight is lower BMarks.

been trying to work out what engine to put in her. I was thinking of a RCG 26cc from HK but not sure it will fit.

Looked at the DLE 20cc and it should fit ok. I was a bit concerned with the weight of the plane and running a 20cc Gasser. The DLE20 apparently has good power so hopefully will pull it around ok. Can get a pits muffler for it with one out let so only the head should stick out of the cowl just.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM
BlackPhantomDragon

Hey Baldwin
Just a question on the forms in the fuse while I was looking at the above pic. The glue seems a bit tacky still. Not sure if it is the hot weather and it was sitting in the back of a car at the field but was not sure. Were yours glued ok. I looked to see if needed to run some glue round them but there is plenty around all the formers I can see. As per the pic you can see the glue.

Was not to clear on your canopy attachment method.? I was thinking of making a tray with a tongue or dowls at front and strong magnets at the rear to hold it down. Or a commercial spring loaded latch on either side at rear.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
BlackPhantomDragon

These pics of the fuse and cowl show up the metalic colour it has been painted. looks great in the sun. Pity the wings are not the same colour.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
baldwind

ORIGINAL: BlackPhantomDragon

Hey Baldwin
Just a question on the forms in the fuse while I was looking at the above pic. The glue seems a bit tacky still. Not sure if it is the hot weather and it was sitting in the back of a car at the field but was not sure. Were yours glued ok. I looked to see if needed to run some glue round them but there is plenty around all the formers I can see. As per the pic you can see the glue.

Was not to clear on your canopy attachment method.? I was thinking of making a tray with a tongue or dowels at front and strong magnets at the rear to hold it down. Or a commercial spring loaded latch on either side at rear.

Hot weather you lucky *******
Wintertime is here with temperatures around my house sometimes as low as 15 C below freezing point.
A couple of years ago we rented a car in Brisbane and used a couple of weeks down to Sydney. We got married there. That day it was 46 degrees (C) A bit hot for a polar bear We will definitely visit Australia again. We just loved that place.
BUT.... The glue in my plane was just the opposite of yours. It was brittle and cracked up easily. i JB Welded a lot of formers and some of the wing ribs i could reach from the wheel wells and outside.
After all of the bad things i have written about this plane it may sound that this is a piece of crap. It is absolutely not, just have to have some extra attention to sort things out right. By the way the pre drilled holes for the wing tube was way out. i widened the hole, made a ply plate with a correct size hole in it and glued it inside the fuse. After that had cured i filled the part of the pre drilled hole with hysol glue. I will post a few pictures of how i fixed the canopy mount after work tomorrow(now it's bed time here). It is really easy, not visible and will keep that canopy in place at any time.
BMarks4645:
I knew there had to be a mistake somewhere with your stated weight. I double checked my conversions between kilo and pounds twice to make sure i was not wrong. YESS! i still have the heaviest plane
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
BlackPhantomDragon

Thanks Baldwind
Much appreciated.
I believe that the DLE 20 if the plane comes out at 5KG would still power this plane ok.

So I will probably go with the petrol/gas rather than nitro. May use the Dubro alloy vibration mounts to mount it.

Regards Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.