Well I have finished my conversion of the Super Low Wing Trainer from Nitro Planes. It is a 60 sized low wing plane that looks an awful lot like a Sky Tiger.
The reason I compare it to the old Goldberg Tigers, is I had a Jr Tiger I flew for many years and this one looks like a larger version of it.
This is by far the largest "E" powered plane I have. It is the second glow to electric I have done. This one made it past the first flight The other one died on a failed landing.
I did make a lot of changes to this plane. This is the second one I have built. So I all ready knew what I wanted to change. The first one died when the on board battery died. Flew 2 and a half laps around the field before it hit the bushes.
I started off by figuring out what motor and ESC I wanted to use. After reading what I could find, I went with a Monster 60 and a Valcano 60 amp ESC with BEC. I was leaning towards a separate BEC but after flying I think the built in is good enough for the (4) standard servos.
I mounted it with stuff I bought from Lowes.
10-24 X 12" threaded rod (2)
10-24 blind nuts (8) one for the motor side and one tightened up against the blind nut
10-24 nylon lock nuts
5/16 fender washers
1/4 inch PLEX tubing SKU# 91514 68512
I have (4) 3s 2650 lipos I have paired up in series and parallel for a total of 6s 5300 mah. I had them on hand and did not want to get a 6s battery just yet. I will be buying a couple of the 6s later, but for now, these work very well.
I knew from the past one the stock gear was made out of some metal that was lead infused. That is the only way I can come up with it being so soft. It was hard to get it to bounce on landing, the metal wire just bent. I made up new, longer and bent backwards main gear out of 5/32 music wire. I made the gear almost 2 inches taller to give prop clearance.
To fix the nose wheel problem, it was short and would bend just as easily as the stock main gear I ordered a Dubro complete nose wheel assembly
And the adjustable axles
This setup works very well. I have no problems. It works so much better then the soft metal of the stock gear.
I have also installed (2) aileron servos. The stock torque rod setup flopped around like a fish out of water. It was not easy to get the pieces installed for the aileron servos with out cutting out a bunch of covering. I was able to get it all install by going through the hole I cut for the servo and by sliding the parts in from the center section of the wing.
I used 1/4 inch thick balsa by 1/2 inch wide to go from rib to rib. This is not a super fast or heavy duty 3D machine so that is plenty of strength. After the cross pieces were glued in I cut a piece of lite play for the servo mount. I glued this to the cross pieces and it came out real close to the level of the covering.
I made up some short push rods out of 2-56 threaded rod and the EZ links.
I used the stock push rods for the elevator and rudder. They work well. I did not use the EZ type connectors that came with this plane. I did use a Dubro EZ connector for the nose wheel push rod.
I am using (4) of the 5010 BB standard servos from Hobbypartz.
These have been working in several planes for a couple of years now. They are the same ones Hobby People sell under the Cirrus label. They call them CS-60.
This plane took me 2 evening to get together. It goes together pretty quick. Not really a lot to do. It took longer because of all the changes I have done. I guess it took me about 1 1/2 hour to get the motor and nose wheel all mounted up. It took longer to install the aileron servo mountings then it did anything else.
I have also started on the glider carriage for this plane. I want to use it as a glider tug. I have the carriage made up and attached. I am working on the release mechanism right now. I have a few ideas but I need to test them to see if I like them or if they will even work under load.
I should be able to get some video of it this weekend. She does fly very well.
Hope this is of interest to some one out there.
ETA spelling and links