Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Ultimate 120 cowling

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Ultimate 120 cowling

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
dean2287

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate 120 cowling

I have a NPUltimate 120 which lost it's canopy on the first flight. The NPwebsite has shown no stock for months. Can Iget a replacement canopy?

I should also point out that the canopy fell off because the supplied wood screws that are supposed to hold it in place failed.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
overkill-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Ultimate 120 cowling

I would also like to purchase a canopy for the ultimate 120! It shows out of stock, like A LOT of their items....I do want to know, is the canopy just the clear plastic or is it a complete built up balsa/ply/clear plastic canopy???

~Russ
Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 AM
opjose

The canopy is fiberglass.

Securing the canopy is up to the builder/pilot.

I don't use Wood screws alone as this is prone to crack the canopy.

A better solution is to use grommets with brass tubing to form an anti-vibration mount, then drill holes in the wood, harden them with CA and affix with longer screws that are harder to loose.

You can also install pegs from the back and secure the canopy with a removable clip.
This requires that you bend the canopy out slightly as you install it, but it makes it almost impossible to lose.
Even if the clip falls off the canopy is held in place by the pins/pegs.

Dean2287:

Consider fabricating your own from plastic soda bottles.

The NP 120 is currently out of production.

Nitro typically pulls parts from new planes to service problems with orders.

If they end up with a few extra ARF's doing this, they will sometimes parcel out the components as parts.

Otherwise the Asian manufacturers tend NOT to provide spare parts as they do not have the merchandising chain to support parts distribution.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM
dean2287

Iappreciate your advice. I can tell you for certain that this canopy is plastic, not fibreglass. The ARFcame with wood screws for the purpose of securing the canopy...I just wanted to make it known to Nitro Planes that this is not a secure method. They have been replaced with bolts and blind nuts.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 AM
opjose

Sorry brain fart... yes the canopy is plastic.

As far as the bolts, it may be advisable to let Eric or someone know about that.

Sometimes they are able to go back to the original manufacturer and request changes, but it depends upon the manufacturer.

Typically suggestions may be incorprated into a later design as far as I've seen.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM
dean2287

Thanks, yes that was the reason I had mentioned it and also maybe to let others know before they lose their canopy as well! It's a real shame because this model is I believe out of production and hard to get parts for. The one I have could be salvaged but it would never be as good as replacing it. I started thinking about recovering the whole plane and going for a fresh new look, so I may end up making a different, possiblyopen canopy anyhow.

I doappreciate your advice, and happy flying...

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
opjose

Would it be possible to tape the outer part of the canopy back together temporarily, then glass the inside?

You could then paint the outside in the same colorscheme, but loose the transparency.

I did this when I flipped on landing, my out of production Giant-U-Can-Do and smashed it's canopy.

Though the transparency is gone ( as is the view of any pilot figure, ) the plane looks pretty good this way.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM
dean2287

ORIGINAL: opjose

Would it be possible to tape the outer part of the canopy back together temporarily, then glass the inside?

You could then paint the outside in the same colorscheme, but loose the transparency.

I did this when I flipped on landing, my out of production Giant-U-Can-Do and smashed it's canopy.

Though the transparency is gone ( as is the view of any pilot figure, ) the plane looks pretty good this way.

Good thought - I was thinking of trying something along those lines.I could also balsa sheet the underside of the broke part and then fill over it. Something to play around with.

Here's a pic of the damage. There are some tape marks on the clear part, but those came off with some alcohol...