Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

GuanLi PBY Catalina

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

GuanLi PBY Catalina

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
rascal35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GuanLi PBY Catalina

I repainted this plane, and added two 1300kv brushless motors, with Mystery 30 amp ESC's in parallel. I also fixed added Master Airscrew 3 blade 8x6 props. I have both the ESC's running to a parallel Deans connector, and plan on having them run on one 3s 2200 lipo. I have one of the ESC's red wire popped from the connector to cancel one of the BEC;s from blowing out. My question is...can I run this plane with two seperate batteries, if they are the exact batteries? Two brushless motors wil eat up one battery too quick im afraid. It will be extra weight, but the throttle up I did earlier showed me I have plenty of power.

I purchased a combo kit from hobbypartz for $27. In this kit was the 1300kv brushless, an 18amp esc and 3 servos. I am using this motor (x2) and paired them with Mystery 30amp ESC'S. I hope this configuration will be legit.

Some mods I made were sealing the bottom of the Catalina with 11 coats of slick polyurathean (spelling?) and cut some water bottle bottoms, painted them gray and inserted them into the motor nacelle to protect the motor from splashing. The gray/black marker looks like a mock engine, so it works.

If anyone has some feedback, I would love to hear it. ......Also, the wing struts are very flimsy. The plastic connectors will not pop into eachother, since the wood davits are too thick. Some bob smith should take care of this. Other than that, I purchased the brushed version for $69 and was at my house 2 days later, since nitroplanes stuff is in LA, and I am in San Diego. Cant beat the price for a solid seaplane.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
opjose

Default RE: GuanLi PBY Catalina

Since you have the ESC's in parallel you can either wire up the battery packs in parallel or wire the ESC's with connectors for individual batteries.

For dual motor planes it is more common to wire the ESC's and batteries in parallel.

That way both motors decline in voltage ( and speed ) at exactly the same rate.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Gale155

"If anyone has some feedback, I would love to hear it. ......Also, the wing struts are very flimsy. The plastic connectors will not pop into eachother, since the wood davits are too thick. Some bob smith should take care of this. Other than that, I purchased the brushed version for $69 and was at my house 2 days later, since nitroplanes stuff is in LA, and I am in San Diego. Cant beat the price for a solid seaplane."

I'm a noobie, and have yet to fly my $69 Catalina - Opjose (and others) won't let me, cause he says I'll crash. So, I guess I'll practice with my newly-acquired Hawk Sky first.

Regarding the plastic connectors on the wing struts, I've got the same problem with two of mine. In fact, I had the same problem with one of motor-mounting sticks (or "woods", as the Chinese call them), and found that a little sandpapering works wonders. I assume the same will be true when I get around to fixing the wing-strut mounts...If not, I'll get out the Dremel.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
joneska

Hi...I see you're working on a Catilina also....

Hopefully you can help me out...........First model since the 70 here.

1. How do you attach the "spinners" to the shaft? Can't screw them on.....hits the propeller.

2. I have the upgraded radio system (72mhz/ brushless)with two ESC's hooked toghether with no connector for the receiver power and one connector from the ESC harness that "won't" fit the receiver. Don't klnow what it's for! Speed control? Receiver battery power? Won't fit in either case...........horrible instructions................

Receiver is 6 channel with one being the battery connector, for a total of seven male connectiors.

Thanks, Ken
Old 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Gale155

ORIGINAL: joneska

Hi...I see you're working on a Catilina also....

Hopefully you can help me out...........First model since the 70 here.

1. How do you attach the "spinners" to the shaft? Can't screw them on.....hits the propeller.

2. I have the upgraded radio system (72mhz/ brushless)with two ESC's hooked toghether with no connector for the receiver power and one connector from the ESC harness that "won't" fit the receiver. Don't klnow what it's for! Speed control? Receiver battery power? Won't fit in either case...........horrible instructions................

Receiver is 6 channel with one being the battery connector, for a total of seven male connectiors.

Thanks, Ken
Hi Ken. This was my first rc model EVER, so I don't have a clue as to your questions in #2. Regarding the spinner, I was perplexed as well. What I ended up doing was positioning the little nut in the recessed area of the prop, then held the spinner in place on the prop and screwed them both on at the same time. Be sure to tighten the nut behind the prop once it's positioned where you want it.

I agree with you that the instructions are pretty awful, but I've heard that some are even worse.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:54 PM
joneska

Thanks....This is really a nasty kit and manual...........so many omissions and errors. Things have sure changed since the 70's. I'm actually assembling this for a friend who can't figure it out.

OK on the spinner. This one came with "two" sets of props..........with no explination all. I quickly realized one set is forreverse rotation after I put them on and the spinner wouldn't line upwith the angle of the blades.......Great!

They don't even explain how to get the wiring inside the plane from the engines and servos, gota cut slots I guess!!!........................... Ken
Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Gale155

Thanks....This is really a nasty kit and manual...........so many omissions and errors. Things have sure changed since the 70's. I'm actually assembling this for a friend who can't figure it out.

OK on the spinner. This one came with "two" sets of props..........with no explination all. I quickly realized one set is forreverse rotation after I put them on and the spinner wouldn't line upwith the angle of the blades.......Great!

They don't even explain how to get the wiring inside the plane from the engines and servos, gota cut slots I guess!!!........................... Ken
I ran the aileron servo wires down the wing spars, carved out a little space for the aileron wire connectors, and cut shallow channels for the motor wires. I'll cover these with white 3-M tape at some point.

This guy has the brushless version, so he might be able to answer your ESC and receiver questions:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9448797

Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
foambreaker

Thanks fpr the help guys!  I just received mine on Monday Mar 15 and wasn't sure how to run the wires under the wings to the fuselage. I was afraid to cut a channel into the foam as the directions didn't say so but I think it is OK. As for the ESC's and the power wire for the radio connected to the ESC's - Mine came pre-packed in a plastic bag with the 2 ESC's, and the battery connector, and the wire that connects to the third slot on the receiver already joined and spliced. I had to cut a slot on either side of the top of the pylon where the wing attaches and lined up between the 2 wooden spars on the bottom of each wing. It would have been better to have longer wires on the ESC's so they could join the motor wires inside the cowling. Oh well - It should still work I suppose. My 2 front wing struts were not wide enough for the attach points on the wing as well. Some sanding or grinding or filing is needed on the wings front tabs I guess. I am almost ready to test my motors and electronics as I don't know which way the motors will spin seeing as how the 3 wires on the motors are 3 different colours and the ESC's wires are 3 white wires!  Best Regards, FB
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
foambreaker

Hello all.  The good news is that the CG came out exactly as specified for both the PBY Catalina and the Dynam Hawk Sky. The Dynam Skybus DC-3 is tail heavy and will need adjustment before flight.  Just letting you know,  FB
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM
joneska

On the Catalina.....My wires from the motor to the ESC's aren't long enough to get the ESC's inside the the plane!!! What are you supposed to do????

Thanks, Ken
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Gale155

On the Catalina.....My wires from the motor to the ESC's aren't long enough to get the ESC's inside the the plane!!! What are you supposed to do????

Thanks, Ken
With the wing in the mounted position (or close to it), you have to use something to reach back and pull the motor wires forward...I just used a piece of heavy wire with a hook bent on the end. Once you can grasp them, they should reach far enough to where you can easily plug them into the esc wires. It's kind of a PITA, but not too bad. With the wing mounted, the motor wires should reach all the way up to where the elevator and rudder servos are located, giving you plenty of length to move them out of the way when inserting the battery.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
joneska

Thanks, however, I suppose I'm no clear...............There isn't "enough wire""length" beteween the motor and the ESC's to get them inside the body.

Has nothing to do with pulling anything...........The ESC's wind up between the "Motor" and the "Body" under the wing............You can'tSTRETCH wire.......Ken
Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
opjose

Get some bullet connectors and make up an extension for the wires going to the motor.

It is usually better to make an extension, as this gives you more flexibility if you use the same electronics on another plane later.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Gale155

Thanks, however, I suppose I'm no clear...............There isn't "enough wire""length" beteween the motor and the ESC's to get them inside the body.

Has nothing to do with pulling anything...........The ESC's wind up between the "Motor" and the "Body" under the wing............You can'tSTRETCH wire.......Ken
I see. Since I assume these things are mass produced, I thought it likely that they'd all be the same. Obviously they're not.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
joneska

Make up connectors???????????

Ready to fly in no time??????????

Gota be kidding. How about "Providing" what is needed to make this an ARF................It's certainly not a RTF like the write-up indicates.

The advertisement even mentions a "JET"..........Do snap rolls and all sorts of things. What a write-up!!!!!!!!! Ken
Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
foambreaker

I see what you are saying. My motor wires are just long enoung to reach halfway between thefuse and the cowling. My ESC wires are just long enough to leave the 2 ESC's inside the pylon, dangling just underthe wings. Not much wire left over for choice of routing. Also hard to countersink/hide the wires/connectors in the foam of the wing next to the spars.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM
joneska

Gale....I was trying to reply to the NITRO host. I'm not that familiar with this stuff........All that jargon was intended for them.

One thing I did...for attaching the wing. I poxey'd on the yellow strip over the center of the wing, Then I drilled a hole in the yellow plasticover each hole big enought for the screw head. Ishined a flashlight from the bottom of the wing to get the location on the yellow strip, them marked them with a marker.

I glued on those washers first before I put down the plastic strip.

I used "studs" instead of the screws with heads which makes it simple to "line up"those 4 holes since the "studs" stay in place. Also makes it simple to remove andre-install the wing. I used a little lock-tite to hold the studs in position in the body.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 AM
joneska

In that case...How about sending the bullet connectors and enough wire for both ESC''s to extend about 8IN??

Order # is yhst-17210252890263-88329 which contains the address.... Will be a Bob W, in Philadelphia, PA. Will be waiting for the missing items........Thanks
================================================== ================================

Get some bullet connectors and make up an extension for the wires going to the motor.

It is usually better to make an extension, as this gives you more flexibility if you use the same electronics on another plane later.

- Nitroplanes forum host. -
Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 PM
opjose

In that case...How about sending the bullet connectors and enough wire for both ESC''s to extend about 8IN??

If you are making up an extension, you'll need to supply your own.

You can also extend the existing wire as well by installing a longer lead wire without obtaining other connectors.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
joneska

I finally ralized the reason for the extra set of props. No information in the manual at all.

Evidently, they are intendedto make one of the engines "counter-rotating"??

Doing this makes the "spinner" useless since the blade angle is different. Can anyone shed some light on this issue???

Thanks...Ken

Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
opjose

You can cut the spinner to accept the counter rotating prop. I use a Dremmel tool for this with a small sanding drum...

To cause the motor to spin in the other direction reverse any two of the three motor wires that go from the ESC to the brushless motor.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:12 PM
joneska

How about this one???

Each side of the propellors are slightly different...

Which side goes toward the engine.....the longer or shorter side.

Also.....the props came with a flat washer, a regular nut and a locknut......Where do they go and what order??

Ken
Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Thermalrunner

Hi guys- I have one of these PBY $69 jobs and reading your postings I have missed a number of things. I was recently sent a new ESC, single, for 2 motors in replacement for the origanal that burnt. It acts like it only has half the power. It won't get the plane out fo the water. The motors and battery are fine. The old ESC, when you plug the battery in, the props spin imediately! So I assume it's bad, since the new one doesn't do that. But the props spin like crazy, a least double the power, though now bad.
Do I have to program the ESC OPJOSE to get the full throttle of of it? Or should I just move on to the dual ESC setup and give up? If so what to buy? Is there a package deal somewhere? (cheap)
Also, the props are supposed to spin towards each other, not in sink in the same direction?
Please, these answers would help.I have only flown this plane once. Evrything stock: brushed motors, one ESC for both, etc.
Thanks guys- any help will be appreciated.

Dean
Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
foambreaker

I have the short side facing toward the engine. I have it so that the top half of the 2 prop arcs rotate toward each other. If you are looking at the model front on ( frontal view ) the right side prop spins counterclokwise and the left one spins clockwise. I have a nut on therear of the prop shaft as a retainer, then the prop that fits over the retainer nut, then a washer, then a locknut on the outer end just inside the spinner. Seems to work OK so far. Hope this helps. You attach the props then turn on the Tx, then plug in the airplane, then make sure the air goes back toward to the tail (not forwards) when you open the throttle !!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Thermalrunner

Thank you very much Foambreaker- that helps very much! Are you running the "single" brushed, ESC that came with the PBY, and the brushed motors?

Benn having ESC problems.

Thank you again for the reply; much appreciated!

Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.