Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Discus CS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:43 PM
courtjester140

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discus CS

I just got this plane for christmas, and i was incredibly excited to get to work on it. However, I immediately noticed on the front cover of the manual that it requires 5~6 cannel 6~7 servos. The website says a 3 channel radio is required. I only have a 4channel radio, so I thought i'd be alright, but I guess I won't be able to use the airbrakes or retracts unless I get a new radio[].

I have a question regarding servo selection for the control surfaces and also the main gear and airbrakes. What size servos should I chose, and what brand is most reliable? I'm sort of new to servo selection, since my neighbor would do it for me in the past. He's not going to be around for a few months though.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:39 PM
opjose

Default RE: Discus CS

The website is allocating servos like this....

Ailerons - 2 servos - One channel
Elevator - 1 Servo - One Channel
Rudder - 1 servo - One Channel

That is the minimum required. although I would put each aileron on a separate channel, using a computer controlled radio, so I could dial in spoileron mixing for landings...

So YES a better radio is advisable...

One thing often recommended for novices that have passed their initial flights, and seem interested in keeping in the hobby.... that they purchase the BEST computer controlled multichannel radio they can afford.

Such radios can retain the settings for multiple planes. The mixing capabilities permit you to use less electronics in the plane. And one such radio will ultimately replace multiple less radios, making it a CHEAPER buy over the life the radio.

Also if you ever go to sell it, people are always interested in used high end radios, but they are NEVER interested in used low end radios.

-

You can use MINI servos ( don't mistake them for MICRO servos! ).

Mini servos are about 20g in weight and have about the same amount of torque as most standard servos.
They are smaller than standard servos but larger than minis.

To be safe ALWAYS measure the dimension of the servo mount, and compare that to the dimensions posted for the servos, before you order them.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just looked at the Discus, it does not have air brakes or retracts? The Ventus and flying dream have the air brakes and retracts.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/56chas26arfr.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ventus-ar...n-2600-mm.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/dics2arfrare.html

Comparing the Discus to my Ventus, You can set it up with 3 channels as Opjose said. It is better and some times a little bit easier to setup with a radio with more channels.

The servos I used were Airtronics 94091 (1) for each aileron, HS-82 for rudder, elevator, retract and glider tow release and I used HS-56 for the air brakes. So I used 7 servos and 8 channels to get it all to work. Plus you add in the servo extension, you end up with a lot of wires in the fuse.

A radio with more features will serve you well if you are going to be flying for a while. Radios are like cars and trucks. Every one has their favorites. I fly an RD8000. It is an 8 channel radio with a lot of features.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp

The servos I used.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/474125.asp

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/759550.asp

Dru.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM
courtjester140

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I've got another friend of mine stopping by who wants to see how well the 'Chinese construction' is

-Courtjester140
Hah! All ARF's are of "Chinese construction" now-a-days.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
katarinaconnors

I just received my Discus CS from nitro models... I had ordered the basic three channel model, no retracts, no spoilers ect.. Instead I got a repackaged Vetus with a discus label.. Now Understand I didn't want this version as I had had two of the Ventus and they are unflyable! Tip stall and screwed up airfoil. They are too heavy and have other issues which I can't solve even with 40 years experience in the hobby.. Also these are from Flying Dreams NOT China Model Products.. After two hours of being on the phone on hold I finally got no satisfaction or anything but rudeness... So if someone tells you they got spoilers and retracts and not the simple version they are not mistaken.!!! Nitro models is changing the label on the ventus to discus and sticking people with what appears to be a better model but actually isn't ... As the old Discus three channel flew well was a pound lighter and much better in the long run.!!

If anyone has a solution to the bad aerodynamics of this plane let me know.. My other "discus" labeled as a Ventus snapped into the ground if you got anywhere near slow and the spoilers keep popping up no matter how tight the linkage.

Nitro models "manager" wouldn't give his name, tell me if they Actually had any of the old real CMZpro discus and threatened me if I complained about this on RCU! Hey I am out $100 but at least you know the guy above who said he gor the wrong plane was correct.. I just wanted them to take this one back and give me what I ordered.. Which seemed reasonable.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
katarinaconnors

The Ventus, Discus, and ASW are all the same aircraft with the same problems, they just change the sticker on the box.. SchempHirth holds the names as well as the patent on the spoilers.. So Nitro Models is ripping them and us off.. Typical Chinese junk. You get what you pay for and sometimes way less.. Apparently the pictures and descriptions they give have nothing to do with what you get.in this case ripped by nitro models... Who buys ad space on RCU so if this doesn't stay up, posted, well ....... Hope you get the message!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Nitro does not make them, the buy them just like you do. I have 40 or so flights on my Ventus and she is a nice plane. I am happy with what I have.

Buzz.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
katarinaconnors

One would expect them to know the difference between two different brands and one without spoilers and landing gear and one with. Right? I looked at the wing and they have made some changes so this might actually fly. Why they sell three different aircraft that is actually just one when it shows up.. I don't sell the point of having all those picture of the insides and pieces and then sending an entirely different aircraft? I have several quality scale gliders including a 20 year old Graupner Ventus 3m that looks like new after all these years.. Of course it cost more but I doubt if this will last a season... Ok for the price but it would be nice to get what I ordered! I don't remember checking any boxes that said substitutions permitted!I have seen a bunch of them snap in on YouTube and really wanted the plain Jane discus I ordered.. Got any helpful hints on improving the behavior of this one I would appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
katarinaconnors

As far as gliders go not all ARFs are Chinese. Some are made in Europe.. In fact some are made right next to the full size stuff.. You pay for it though... Quality wasn't the issue , don't expect much for $125... Getting what I ordered WAS... I wanted a cheap glider for my FPV project just the one I ordered not the one they sent! This "discus" is faster, has too much plastic junk on it, is heavier and tip stalls badly.. I left off the spoilers, the landing gear bay now a battery spot now and put a hook on the bottom for a skid and a eflite 480 on it. The spoilers are stupid as my last one, pure glider, usually beat the winch parachute to the ground.. Until it tried to punch a hole in the runway at NAS Pensacola when it snapped in. I am a SSA glider instructor and I know how a glider is supposed to fly! And these have the L/D of a flat rock!