Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

40 pitts structural problem

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

40 pitts structural problem

Old 12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
PJD1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 pitts structural problem

I built and flew a nitro model 40 gas pitts using a tower hobbies 46. On the third flight, the right wing began to flutter uncontrollably, and regretfully the plane was lost. I looked at the rubble, and noticed that some of the attachments that screwed to the wing braces between the lower and upper wing had pulled loose. I attributed this to the crash, but later had another idea. When I put it together, I noticed that the upper wing brace attachment points were about 1" further apart than the lower wing attachment points. Thus in order to get a straight brace between the two wings, the brace had to bend inwardly, thus imparting a stout bending force on the 1/16" ply attachments. Could it be that that force combined with the G forces of flying pulled out the attachments? The nitro model rep. said that it was designed to have a bent brace. Seems kinda stupid to me, all the other biplane braces are straight. I love the plane and want to buy another, but don't want to go thru the same problem. When the flutter began, I was only half throttle.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:45 PM
opjose

Default RE: 40 pitts structural problem

What engine?

Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
PJD1

I used a tower hobbies 46. The model was designed for a 40, but i only flew at half throttle.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
kamikazejoe

just read your post and had ordered the pitts this morning. Do let me know your thoughts on the plane and how it builds and flies before the crash. Do you think some kind of structural strengthing is required that can be done or is it a design flaw ?
KJ
Old 12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
PJD1

When you receive your pitts, you will see what I am talking about when you try to connect the upper and lower wings with the 2 braces. The points of attachment for the upper wing and lower wing do not line up and the braces must be deformed to attach them. Writ me back and tell me what you think. If I get another one, I plan to modify the attachment points so that they ar aligned.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
kamikazejoe

sure will do and your point has made me think if i should reinforce that.

How does the plane fly ? I am planning a 70 4 stroke in it
Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
PJD1

It flies like a dream. With a 46 2 stroke, the balance point was exactly on 3.1" back measured on the top wing. With a 70 4 stroke you will probably have to add weight to the tail. Also, i hope you dont need a lot of directions to build it, because the instruction booklet leaves a lot to be desired. Good luck. I am probably gonna get another one because the price is right.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
kamikazejoe

gr8 news. you can get one from ebay. I got one for $130 shipped
Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
opjose

I just got mine in.

This is an awfully light plane for a .46, as it calls for a .32 2 stroker.

Is everyone using .46's?

Also what size servo do the aileron's take?

They look like sub-micros. Is this true?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 PM
PJD1

The manual call for a 40 size motor or .52 4 stroke. I have just about finished the second PITTS. I used a .46 OS LA engine this time, which is considerably less powerful than the TOWER HOBBIES .46. Also, I am going to modify the way the 2 wing strutts are attached to the lower wing to try to reduce the force on the little tabs protruding from the wing. I used 2 JR MC35 servo's for the ailerons. I had used hi tec HS81's on the first one that crashed. The gears stripped, but that was undoubtedly due to the crash. The JR's seem to work fine. Tell me when you get to the point of mounting the wings what you think about the struts bending like they do.Nowhere did I see any talk of using a 32 size motor. Where did you see that?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:23 AM
opjose

THANKS!!!!

P.9 of the manual states under "Warnings".

Gas Pitts - 40 is designed to be powered by 2C: 0.32 ; 4C: 0.52 engine

The two equate fairly well, so the instructions are basically calling for a .32 engine.

The LA .46 would be slightly more powerful than the .32 engine being called for... so it may be a VERY good match.

How does it fit in the cowl? Did you mount it inverted?

I used an LA .46 in a .32 Extra 330 and it rocks in this plane... I just wish that OS had not gone with the cheap bleed needle for the low end. As it is, I cannot lean the low end out enough... but the plane runs VERY reliably... w/NO deadsticks EVER from day one.
So now that you mention it, this may be a great combo!

Re: Bend

I held the two wings together to compare the strut attachment points and you are right.

When the two wings are held so that their centers align correctly there is a 1/2" variance (1 inch total) in the position of the strut mount points.

Now that you've mentioned this I'm going to fix this easily... how?

Take a small 1/2" wide 3" long strip of ply and shape it to go between the strut and the mount to off set the point.

Remove a bit of covering and expoxy the block directly to the wood of the wing.

Apply a small bit of Ultracoat and this "fix" will not be obtrusive. To really hide it, do it to the underside of the upper wing instead of on the lower wing.

A slightly longer bolt will be needed too. Not a biggie once this is pointed out as you have...

- Hey Nitrostaff are you aware of this issue? -

I would advise you to do the same with your "bent" struts. Don't leave them bent... this doesn't sound right.

Real Pitts DO have the struts at an angle though much like what the NP planes would have if the mount points were all properly angled.

I bet someone in the design department made a mistake and didn't want to loose their job....

Old 01-14-2007, 04:56 PM
bkrfrmhell
My Feedback: (4)

This is exactley what I was saying in the other pitts challenger thread i started about engine size. You were telling me this plane could take a 70 plus 4 stroker no problem. I haven't maidened mine yet with the saito 65.....and balance was not a problem with the extra engine weight..I mounted my 5 cell battery just in front of the servos. I am using hs85mg in the wings...should be lots. I think it would be some major wing surgery to relocated the struts mounting tabs. I just epoxyed them real well. Hopefully I have better luck on not loosing a wing. I think an average 40 stroke would be more than enought power for this little plane. Why fly at less than half throttle all the time? Not designed for 3d by any means, just a nice little scale plane. I wish nitrostaff would give his opinion on this strut issue.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: bkrfrmhell

This is exactley what I was saying in the other pitts challenger thread i started about engine size. You were telling me this plane could take a 70 plus 4 stroker no problem. I haven't maidened mine yet with the saito 65.....and balance was not a problem with the extra engine weight..I mounted my 5 cell battery just in front of the servos. I am using hs85mg in the wings...should be lots. I think it would be some major wing surgery to relocated the struts mounting tabs. I just epoxyed them real well. Hopefully I have better luck on not loosing a wing. I think an average 40 stroke would be more than enought power for this little plane. Why fly at less than half throttle all the time? Not designed for 3d by any means, just a nice little scale plane. I wish nitrostaff would give his opinion on this strut issue.

Yeah the 70 equates well with the .40 2 stoker.

My observation above was based upon what the instructions call for.... since they call for a .32 2stoker, yet everyone is using .46's.... which is about equal to your .65 both power and weight wise.

Some .46's put out more power though, e.g. the TH (or GMS .47) is rated at a good 1.75bHp (take that with a grain of salt though), and it lets my NP Ultimate 40S go unlimited vertical on that plane which seems to be heavier but more lightly wing loaded.

Nitrostaff, please chime in about the struts!

Old 01-20-2007, 11:50 AM
PJD1

The best reason for using a 46 size engine is that no weight needs to be added to the nose in order to achieve balance. I have built 2 pitts now using a tower hobbies .46 in the first, and an OS .46 LA in the second one. Both planes balance out perfectly 3.1" back from the top L.E. Both times I mounted the engines at 90 degrees and used a PITTS style muffler to exhaust below the fuselage. As far as the structural problem is concerned, I have finally concluded that the R.H. strut broke at the lower lightening hole just above the lower wing attachment point due to high bending stresses in the region. With no strut to stabilize the upper wing, the wing oscillated violently destroying the ailerons on that side. Examining the L.H. strut, I see cracks in the same area. So all the beefing up of attachment points will do no good if the struts break. The solution I came up with was to remove all bending stresses by shimming the 1/2" difference between the strut attachment locations by using a nylon spacer I got at ACE hardware #6 screwhole in the center, and 1/2" Outside dia. This allows the struts to be perfectly straight. I received a damaged canopy from RAIDENTECH, and e-mailed them a pic of it. They have sent a new one. As soon as it is on, and the OS is purring, I will test fly it. The weather here on the Texas gulf coast has been crappy for a month now.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
opjose

Yup, that's effectively what I've done, as I posted above...

A "spacer" that is also epoxied to the wood in the wings, to keep the struts straight and add additional re-inforcement.

I did something similiar with my Ultimate 40S' to beef up the supports and this worked great with those planes.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
kamikazejoe

one clarification ... I got the pitts kit and was going thru the manual. The top struts/cabane that is connected to the top wing and the fuselage is marked at 82mm and 89mm from the front of the fuselage. can anyone help which is the right distance ?
Thx
KJ
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
opjose

The answer is "yes".

All joking aside, BOTH measurements are correct.

Look at the photo, one side is at 82mm and the other side at 89mm.

The firewall has right thrust built into it (approximately 2-3 degrees). That is why there is a difference. The firewall is angled to the right, hence the smaller figure on that side.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 AM
kamikazejoe

aah that explains it. Thanks a lot for that information. THis is one sweet looking plane and i have a os70 for it. I hope it is not too much from what i am reading here. What are the servos used on the wing ?

Will the standard 3003/1 servos fit in here. I am not keen to buy a pair of servos for $60 for a $125 plane.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Crashtruk

Can somebody please post some pictures of their strut mods. I am glad I read this thread as I am about to maiden my NM Pitts. I might put it off until I have a handle on this strut issue. I have a OS 52 4 stroker mounted inverted in her. Nice little plane for the dollars. If it holds up well I might buy some more NM gear. Did anybody beef up their fire wall. There does not seem to be much glue holding it in. I will post some pictures soon.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:40 PM
bkrfrmhell

The strut mod is simple, assemble your plane, just don't bolt the struts onto the lower wing....see the 1\4 or more gap? Fill this gap with a strip of plywood or other and bolt together with longer bolt. Plane won't have the scale strut rake, but also won't have the added twisting force on the strut. I am still debating doing this mod. My plane is ready to madien when the weather clears and the struts still seem to be very strong even with the twist. Anyone else have this failure? Maybe the fellow above had a strut with an internal flaw. Struts are pretty strong for such a tiny plane. Ran up the pitts with the saito 65 the other evening, darn near tore the plane out of my hands holding full throttle in the vertical position. Should be fun....
Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 PM
bkrfrmhell

I never beefed up my firewall...looked acceptable to me. Your 52 4 stroker should be a good match....even better if it's lighter than the 65.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 AM
opjose

The problem seems to be the anchor points, in that they are not angled to correspond with the angle of the struts.

In turn this will put a bending force on the struts that should not really be there.

I could foresee this making the plane a bit weaker if it cartwheels or hits a wing on landing, further leading to possible in flight failure later.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
bkrfrmhell

I used hitec 85 mg in the wings. I would use no less for a 40 size plane on two ailerons. PDJ1...was you aileron servo stripped? Maybe that was the cause or part of it.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
kamikazejoe

ORIGINAL: bkrfrmhell

I used hitec 85 mg in the wings. I would use no less for a 40 size plane on two ailerons. PDJ1...was you aileron servo stripped? Maybe that was the cause or part of it.

Would a regular servo fit there though ? seems like a dumb Q why would anyone fit another servo if it did ... but hey if you gotta ask ...ask
Thanks
KJ
Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 PM
yamahaexpress

The mini servo just sqeezes in. No way a regular servo will fit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.