Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Exceed F/A-18C Problems Prep

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Exceed F/A-18C Problems Prep

Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
rascal35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed F/A-18C Problems Prep

Hello all, I recently purchased the Jolly Rogers 70mm yadda yadda yadda. I skimmed through many pages on this forum to read up on the problems. Basically, to sum things up, when I get my plane, and there is no damage to the contents, and its ready for building these ssm to be the most consistant ordeals.

Flimsy push-rods on the elevators which can be supported with a simple ball link or whatever you deem necessary.
Bad reception
-attributed to a snarled up antenna which you have to "find" in the plane by peeling back the black underside.
-crystals in the Rx need to be removed then re-inserted to confirm a good connection. use a 2.4 Ghz setup and eliminate those potentials
BEC needs to be replaced or run a seperate battery to power servos so you dont lose overall performance, (like crashing that beauty of a plane)
Landing gear-since its a more aerodynamic outlook for the plane, the gear is configured somewhat awkwardly-(spelling?) some rubbing I unusual rubbing is expected I guess? Upgrade your gear to RC Vigilante's version
Seems like a lot of People have had shotty reception and ultimately lost control of the F/A-18 because they did not attempt to iron out those problems. I for one am experienced as an RC pilot, however this is my first jet, and decided to pick this plane, this company because they have an excellent price for what you recieve. I want some concrete information on this BEC removal/replacement procedure Is it really necessary to change out the BEC? If I dont, will there be some real failures. I will take any measures to ensure solid safe flight, but damn, NitroPlanes gets a knock for selling a faulty piece of hardware. Thanks to anyone if they can help.

Joe
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
opjose

Default RE: Exceed F/A-18C Problems Prep

The plane you will receive already comes with a separate BEC wired in. No need to do anything with that.

Bend the gear out a bit after installation and that's it.

I do prefer better linkages, so I would advise you to also change the rods and clevises, but that is all that is needed.

The RX works fine, but test it to be sure, though I advise not using the included radio and instead go with something that provides Expo.

I ended up purchasing an inexpensive Polk Tracker III to handle my fleet of N.P. Foamy EDF's.... A great buy as it works with any 72mhz shift pattern, any channel, has a build in frequency scanner, 99 model memory, and is computer controlled... I've had no problems using it with this and other included RX's.

Again however test out the RX and after re-inserting the crystal tape it in place and test it out.

Also run the motor through several complete battery discharges just to make sure the power system and EDF are ready.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
rascal35

cool, thanks for the input. Do you have the f/a-18?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
opjose

Yes I do.

Beautiful plane...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
rascal35

So ........I shouldnt run into a BEC problem? Last thing I want to do is go in there and cut the wrong damn wire. Ive tried to ask several people I know, including the local guru on what to do, and the procedure of replacing a new BEC or running its own battery pack and cutting one wire out, just seemed so confusing. Ive never run into this problem. This is my first EDF jet, however Ive been flying for some time. I know it has some respectable power, as Ive seen in videos. I know Im ready to fly this plane, and I cant wait to unbox it, Im just a little unclear on some of the internal guts of these things.

Also...Ive read that numerous people have experienced structural failure with the fan blades/inlet area. Is there a chance that the motor or fan itself is not fastened securly enough? People say they power p and chunks of black plastic have shot out the rear. I guess I could just unscrew the compartment and evaluate the ducted fan unit to make sure its in working order. Any other suggestions on this plane?? Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
nitrostaff1

The version 2 of the f18 has a new BEC installed external and it's call UBEC.
The BEC plugs into chan 6 on receiver. The ubec draws power from the battery and it will provide power thru the port that's plugged into channe 6.

The ESC plugs directly into the channel 3 and the center red wire on that plug should be cut off. Let me know if you still need help.

John
Nitro Planes

Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 AM
opjose

Yup as he said, the newer F-18's have SWITCHING BEC's installed. These are separate from the ESC but connected to it.

So no, don't cut anything.

Re: Blades

Most RTF EDF's need a bit of TLC before flying.

It's a good idea ( when you can get at the fan area ) to run up the motor to about 50% power, hold it there for about 60 seconds, and let it cool.

Then repeat, slowly running it up higher each time.

As the motor speeds up the blades expand because of centrifugal force. When that happens the blades can contact the shroud, and can shatter or crack.

Running it up slowly ( but not to full throttle for longer than a few seconds ) permits you to see scuff marks on the inside of the shroud where the blades contact.

Once you've found these areas, insert a folded piece of sandpaper there between the blade and the shroud and turn the prop over many times by hand to sand off a bit of fan blade, increasing the clearance slightly.

If your fan is easily removable ( not all are ) it also pays to balance the fan in a SENSITIVE magnetic balancer... one of the type that suspends everything in a magnetic field.

Other hints:

Remove and re-install the respective crystals to make sure that they make good contact. Then tape the RX crystal in place.

Perform multiple range checks, and I'd suggest lightly tapping the gear, etc while wiggling the control surfaces, to see if there are any loose internal connections that could foul you up while in flight.

A little extra care helps insure successful flights.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 AM
nitrostaff1

Yes you are right opjose. I checked the F18 and the ESC wire is not cut at the factory so it's not required.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
MarkAurel

please is this V2 or V1, can fly with this electronics 3s or 4s battery? enought power to start from hand ?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM
MarkAurel

i have info from friend, after connecting 14,8V battery is possible the ESC or BEC burn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89924.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1728072