Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

CG Big Stick ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM
boompa61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CG Big Stik 60 ARF

I am just returning to the sport. Always agonized while building. (OCD)
After checking the wing connection as per instructions on my Big Stik 60 everything looked great in the seem. However ( epoxy has set up ) now that I check the wing it seems to be about 1/4 inch off plumb out at the leading edge tip. It obvious the wing is a done deal. Should I be overly concerned about this or just move on and install the horizontal stab perpendicular to the fuse? I could purchase another wing set, and would do so if I could figure out how to make sure problem wouldn't repeat. Any comments and suggestions. I am using this plane just to get me back into flying and really don't expect it to last all that long. Never built an ARF before always kits ( been out of this sport 28 years ). You could dry fit most everything in the kit and make sure of things being plumb or correct. With the ARF the surfaces they advise to sand to correct have the overlap of covering. So if you sand you create a new situation to correct. I guess I could use epoxy and cover these areas if need be. Am I being too compulsive?

Last edited by boompa61; 11-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

What do you mean by plumb? My guess is the leading and trailing edges do not match? That is not a good thing and must be corrected or the plane will not fly straight. If this is the case a good razor saw could be used to carefully
cut the wing halves apart. You may have to cut the spar and drill it out and replace it? I would first avoid that and see if I could give a slight twist after sawing to see if you could correct it, if so then force some gap-filling CA (slow acting)
into the gap keeping the wings lined up and hit it with kicker. It should be just fine but you could glass the gap and re-cover?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 AM
boompa61

Thanks Indiana, I sure hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

If the wings do not align you have a serious problem that must be corrected........