Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

CMP Super Chipmunk 52

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

CMP Super Chipmunk 52

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
conradj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Super Chipmunk 52

I recently acquired a CMP Super Chipmunk 52 (63" wingspan), and have no manual or setup instructions. Is there somewhere I can download one from or does anyone have one handy? I specifically need the recommended cg and the control throws.

Also, the cowl and canopy are somewhat damaged and I'd like to replace them. I ordered the ones from Nitroplanes for the 40 size CMP Super Chipmunk, but they are not close enough in size to work correctly. Are these parts still available for the 63" version?

Thanks,

Josiah
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 PM
nitrostaff1

Default RE: CMP Super Chipmunk 52

what's your order number? I can mail you a copy. You can order the cowl can canopy here: http://www.nitroplanes.com/such40.html
It would be under quick links.

John
Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: conradj

I recently acquired a CMP Super Chipmunk 52 (63" wingspan), and have no manual or setup instructions. Is there somewhere I can download one from or does anyone have one handy? I specifically need the recommended cg and the control throws.

Also, the cowl and canopy are somewhat damaged and I'd like to replace them. I ordered the ones from Nitroplanes for the 40 size CMP Super Chipmunk, but they are not close enough in size to work correctly. Are these parts still available for the 63" version?

Thanks,

Josiah
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
conradj

John,

My order number was 515849 for a cowl and canopy for the 40 sized Chipmunk. I ordered them in hopes that they were the same size as the "52" sized one I actually have. Unfortunately, they are too small. Are there still replacement parts available for the 52 sized one with a 63" wingspan?

Thanks for the reply!

-Josiah
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
nitrostaff1

Yes you have this plane right? http://www.nitroplanes.com/such40.html

by tomrrow you should be able to purschase the cowl and canopy. I'll have the web guy put it up online so you can order it.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 PM
conradj

Sorry for the confusion, but that's not the one I have. I have this one:

[link]http://www.nitroplanes.com/such5258.html[/link]

It is the Super Chipmunk 52, with a 63" wingspan.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM
VeeAte

(The Chipmunk you have isnt the CMP one if its the one in the link you posted. Think its made by a company called WillHobby?)

I need a cowl for that plane as well.

Cant get one in Australia anywhere.

Also with that chipmunk, check your wing incidence. Mine was WAY out.

Flies sort of ok now tho hehe
Old 04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
conradj

Good call. I found that plane on the Will Hobby website and emailed to see if we can get replacement parts, so we'll see.

What was your incidence problem?

Also, can you tell me where you ended up setting your CG?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
VeeAte

The incidence problem with mine I didnt come across until someone else on the forums pointed out they had a problem with it.
Mine flew like a pig originally. Always felt tail heavy in the air.
After adding lots of nose weight I still had the same issues.
I checked my incidence and the LE of the wing had to be dropped around 12mm to get it in the ballpark.
There is a big gap now between the wing and the wing saddle, but I have some foam in there so it doesnt look so bad.

I cant remember the balance point measurement, but I do remember that it lines up with the edge of the black covering on the top of the wing on mine.
I am pretty sure I used the manuals CG spec.
Will double check in the morning.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 AM
kid chuckles

I think i have the manuel for this plane. Got it about 2or 3 yrs ago. Is you canopy clear or tinted. Mine was tinted but same size plane and all. Last and only thing i have bought from Nitro but will send you the manuel if you get hold of me. I don't think i throwed it away but may have. Usually don't throw any of them away as you never know when you might need them. Just send me a pm and see if I can get it to you. But have to see if i still have it first lol. Easy enough as i keep them all together so know right where to look. Mine was a disaster hope you have better luck. Great looking plane though. Was maybe the incidence with mine also lol. Don't know never got it off the ground had lots of problems that could not be fixed so it never flew. Or that i knew enough about to fix and several experienced flyers could not repair either. Did not know about this site at that time and could not get help from anyone at Nitro.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
conradj

My canopy was clear, but the guy I bought it from painted it from the inside with black paint. I have a feeling I won't be buying any Nitro planes after seeing how this one was made, but assembled it actually looks decent.

What other problems did you encounter?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
opjose

They sell different models from different vendors.

IMHO the CMP Chipmunk is better than the "Evergreen" one.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
conradj

Is the Evergreen one the WillHobby version? It seems like there are several variants out there that are very similar. I originally thought I HAD the CMP version, but VeeAte pointed out that it was probably the WillHobby version.

Did you have any wing incidence issues with yours?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
VeeAte

The landing gear breaks very easily.
Yes breaks.

I fly off a grass runway and on one very smooth landing one of the wheels hit a small hole just on touch down and the whole landing gear leg snapped off near the wing.

There was a huge gap either side of where the rudder goes through the tail of the fuse. I filled this with balsa. I had flutter on the vertical stabiliser until I fixed this.

Lots of play in the elevator pushrod. I cut a slot in a piece of ply and put that on the rear former over the pushrod to stop it flexing so much.

You can't use full rudder deflection or the elevator fowls the bottom of the rudder. This makes taxiing nearly impossible if you have to turn.

The standard single servo aileron torque rods were WAY too flexible. I fitted a servo to each wing for the ailerons. MUCH better roll rate and no flutter

I am sure more will come to me.

Mine is flying fine now and I got it cheap. So expected to have to do some work to get it flying.
Have seen a lot worse ARF's.

I think the CMP version lets you use a standard muffler on a 2 stroke. There is a cutout at the bottom of the firewall. If you look inside the fuse of the willhobby version you will see the cutout is in the timber part of the firewall, but not in the fibreglass itself.
I think the CMP version comes with a tinted canopy with the frame painted.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
conradj

The landing gear wire actually broke? Wow...although this type of wire gear does bend somewhat easily, I'm surprised it would actually break.

Does the version you have use a split elevator with two pushrods (one for each half)?

I noticed the problem with full rudder deflection coupled with full up elevator...I haven't flown it yet, but I had actually decreased the elevator throws to keep the rudder out of it. Sounds like you got yours under similar circumstances - I got a steal on mine as well so I knew there'd be some kinks to work out.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM
VeeAte

Yeh the wire shocked me. It had been bent a few times in the past but not enough that I would think it would be that brittle. Broke long before any other gear I have had to bend repeatedly to straighten.

The elevator is split with a wooden dowel Y pushrod.

Needs a lot of weight on the nose to balance too. I dont have any scales to measure the weight of the sinkers I use for weight, but it took two fairly big spoon sinkers to get it to balance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70472.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1180279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38914.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1180280  
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
conradj

Hmm...I wonder...I already bent mine slightly forward to get the axle axis in line with the leading edge of the wing in hopes that it wouldn't nose over to easily. Hopefully it won't make it brittle.

That sounds about like the pushrod setup that the manual would have called for. I ended up using two longer 4-40 pushrods joined by a wheel collar close to the servo because I didn't have any plans or instructions to go by. It seems to flex very little and aside from being a bit heavy, it should work.

Guessing at the CG I figure I'm pretty close right now with a 6 volt battery pack all the way up against the firewall, and an aluminum spinner on the 46AX that's mounted.

I didn't see any way the aileron horns could flex on mine - maybe they are a heavier gauge than the ones in your ARF? See pics for my servo setup - any suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM
VeeAte

The torque rods on yours do look beefier.
Bit hard to tell from the pics tho as only the tips of the torque rods are visible.

Your servo tray inside the fuse is different to mine as well.
Mine has different servo positions.

Also I only had one spot for a servo in the wing.

I will see if I can take some pics tomorrow.

Also should we maybe take this discussion to an appropriately named thread?
Might be helpful for others looking for info on the same plane. (as opposed to the CMPro Super Chipmunk)

Edit: Just noticed you added the servo's to either side of the original mount in the wing.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
conradj

Good call. I will continue this discussion here:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8680916/tm.htm]Will Hobby Super Chipmunk 52[/link]
Old 07-24-2019, 03:21 AM
Gerhawg

Default I know it's a long shot, but do you still have the canopy for the cmp chipmunk 40 siz

Do you still have the 40 size canopy and are you willing to sell?