Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Pitts Model 12

Old 10-15-2006, 02:04 AM
zwibelturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitts Model 12

What's a good set-up for the Goldberg Pitts Model 12 Monster ARF? I'm running a Saito 125a and I need a lot of up-trim under power and less at glide. Current set-up is a few degrees of right thrust, no up or down thrust, top wing +1, bottom wing zero, stab +2. CG is in the forward part of the recommended range. Thank you.
John
Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 PM
nitrostaff1

Default RE: Pitts Model 12

I think you're in the wrong forum

We only have the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/pittsspecial1.html]Pitts Special Challenger 40 - 42.5" ARF Nitro Gas Powered Radio Remote Controlled BiPe Airplane[/link]
Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 AM
bkrfrmhell
My Feedback: (4)

Just building the nitro planes 40 size pitts, nice looking plane, anyone here flown one yet? any bad habits? I bought a saito 65 for mine, maybe a little overkill, but it does balance fine with it.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:53 PM
opjose

The .40 kit calls for a .40-.46 size engine.

Most .46's develope 1.7bHp which is more than the Saito .65 produces, so you are safe.

You could even go with a larger 4 stroke, but you may have mounting issues.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 AM
gtbcpa

I'm thinking of buying either the Nitro Ultimate Bipe or the Nitro Pitts Special Challenger. I have a Saito 56 I will install from another airplane. My preference is the Pitts, just based on looks, but which one flies better, especially with the Saito 56?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
opjose

The Ultimate will be the better flyer.

The Pitts has a very short tail moment, which makes it snap like a demon, but it can easily get you into trouble.... as I found out the hard way.

The Ultimate will fly in a much better than scale like manner with the 4C 56 you are contemplating to use, but neither plane will have unlimited verticals with that engine, but it will do verticals though.

The Saito .56 4C is akin to putting in a .32 2C glow engine... which the Ultimate does handle very well.

There is a review here where someone installed a 2C .32 and a 2C .40 LA engine.

In spite of the fact that the .40 LA was MUCH weaker than the engine you are planning to use, he liked the plane's performance with it.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
gtbcpa

OPJOSE, thanks for the info. That really helps. I'm new to the biplane so any info. is helpful.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
opjose

The plane will tend to yaw on you as you are running it up.

I replaced the tail gear with cheap ( $1.98!!! ) tail gear combos from Tower Hobbies, and this is MUCH better with the YAW.

This does two things...

1 - The plane sits more level than with the included gear. That causes the rudder to have more authority initially causing less yaw.

2 - The gear can be adjusted to give the plane just a bit of tendancy to travel to the right with the elevator centered. This helps to counteract the remaining yaw.

I'd also suggest leaving OFF the wheelpants until you are quite comfortable with the plane.

I put 3" Foam wheels on mine and it has no trouble landing or taking off from grass this way.... remember to always hold a bit of up elevator while on grass though.

I mounted my Tower .46 engine inverted with an anti-vibration mount.

The plane comes in just a bit heavier than indicated, but it has no problems.

As you build it, do ANYTHING you can to maximize aileron movement. IMHO as it comes there is not quite enough...

You can always dial down the throws with any computer controlled radio.

Epoxy the wing strut "tabs" into the wing... but make sure you get the heights of the holes all exactly the same on each wing, and determine exactly the height of the holes by dry fitting the struts.

It's easier to affix the struts and affix the carbine to the TOP of the wing, then check the alignments BEFORE drilling the holes for the carbine bottom screws. Remember to CA ALL of these screw holes as they will take a lot of abuse.

Re-inforce the wood around the landing gear areas too.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM
gtbcpa

Thanks again. Very helpful.