Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

ultimate 40

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 AM
kerwin50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultimate 40

I bought an ultimare 40 last spring an there was no wing jig in the kit an the instruction never mentioned where the cg was, i called support an their advice was not to worry about the cg
Old 10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
nitrostaff1

Default RE: ultimate 40

wing jig = wing template? who did you talk to? i hv to investigate on your case then...also, do you still need the wing jig and CG? if so i will find out hte cg for you and get you the wing jig you needed
Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 PM
opjose

The C.G. settings were in the instructions I received for three 40S, so this may have been an oversight.

The Jig is not needed due to the way the mounting is done.

The upper and lower wings "lock" in only one position, due to the square retainers. You really can't move them out of place or get them wrong if you don't do anything unusual to the mounts.

I've verified this in serveral builds.

I wonder if whomever you talked to meant to not worry about the incidence.

You DO need to worry about the C.G.

"The ideal C.G. Position is 81mm (3.2 in. ) behind the leading edge measured at the top wing center line.
In order to obtain the C.G. specified, add weight to the fuselage or move the battery position. Check the C.G. before flying.?

Old 10-27-2006, 12:01 PM
kerwin50

Yes I still need the wing templates nitrostaff 1 as far as the square retainers go there is alot of play when you put the struts on them there has been no mods done to either the wing retainers or the struts maybe perhaps this was an earlier kit or somthing I believe my order no was 14299097 an like i said before I started contacting nitro the day i got the kit an i made sure he understood what i meant by center of gravity i even asked him if he was a flier an he said no then i had him look up the instrutions on a p51 mustang where he was able to find the cg for it after that he took my phone no an said he would get back to me i have been building an flying model plane since 1988 an have only recently gotten in to bi planes i am really hoping to get this on up an flying before winter an if i get good response from this where i don't have to guess on the decathlage it will be the 120 ulltimate or if you start selling a 50 cc size
Old 10-27-2006, 12:06 PM
nitrostaff1

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

Yes I still need the wing templates nitrostaff 1 as far as the square retainers go there is alot of play when you put the struts on them there has been no mods done to either the wing retainers or the struts maybe perhaps this was an earlier kit or somthing I believe my order no was 14299097 an like i said before I started contacting nitro the day i got the kit an i made sure he understood what i meant by center of gravity i even asked him if he was a flier an he said no then i had him look up the instrutions on a p51 mustang where he was able to find the cg for it after that he took my phone no an said he would get back to me i have been building an flying model plane since 1988 an have only recently gotten in to bi planes i am really hoping to get this on up an flying before winter an if i get good response from this where i don't have to guess on the decathlage it will be the 120 ulltimate or if you start selling a 50 cc size
LOL...so basically you just need the wing template right? no problem, i'll send you the wing template....however i cannot located your order #....it's the last 4 digit after the dash...or if you dunno, just give me your zip code w/ first and last name and i'll dig it up for you [>:]
Old 10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
opjose

Yeah the 120 kit is very nice. I'm in the process of building my 120...

Beafing up the hardware a bit, and going with an O.S. 1.20 pumped on it.

I just wish it was not PINK!

Old 11-10-2006, 01:24 PM
cptn kirk
My Feedback: (1)

Very interesting remarks about the Ultimate. I had the same issues...PLUS. There was no mention of CG anywhere and no wing jig as shown in the manual. The manual was an issue on its own. Looked like the 3rd xerox of the 4th bad copy....nearly unreadable. Only 1 of 2 cabanes were in the box. Never got answers to e-mails or calls to tech support. Finally a bag of parts...only some were the ones I needed...showed up, no wing jig. One more attempt at a wing jig and I was told they don't use it anymore. Still no CG.

I finally got it flying making sure it was a little nose heavy. It flys great. I brought it in short on the last flight and caught some tall weeds.....didn't look too bad. Got the plane and found the landing gear had ripped out and so had the firewall. I strongly suggest beefing up the front of that puppy before you go flying.

Thanks for the info on CG.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:56 PM
opjose

I think the 3.2 is a bit conservative, and it could easily go back another 1/2" if not more.

I used the jigs from a WM plane and on two NP Ultimates and there were no variances... I didn't touch, sand or modify the cutouts though, the struts fit nicely into the cutouts.

I've found that the key to getting the NP Ultimate right is to

- Drill out the holes for the carbanes from the INSIDE of the fuselage.
The positions for mine came properly marked with pen, as well as a slight laser burn.
- Attach the lower wing first and make sure that it is square and in full contact with the fuselage.
- Attach the upper wing using ONLY the struts. Check that the upper and lower wing are square.
- Finally attach the center carbanes slightly depressing the middle of the wing to get the carbane holes to align.

I've gotten perfect alignments on two planes this way w/o needing any jigs.

Most planes will break at the landing gear blocks as this area really needs far more re-inforcement.

I've managed to punch out the blocks on hard landings with the following planes:

WM Ultimate 40S
NP Ultimate 40S
Funtana 90s
Seagull Spacewalker II
H9 PTS P-51
Model Tech Extra 300

So this is not endemic to the Nitroplanes Ultimate.

I wish that the manufacturers would do the following.

- Provide more re-informcent for the gear blocks, front and rear.
- Use more blind nuts, at least 2 more than they use now
- Use larger threads/bolts
- Use Nylon threads/bolts instead of metal ones.

That way the nylon bolts would break off on an overly hard landing helping to save both the plane and the gear.

Re-inforcing the above planes has eliminated the problem though... now the gear will collapse outward instead, which tends to save the plane.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM
cptn kirk
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your words of widom. I agree that ARF manufactureres don't seem to think we sometimes have other than perfect landings. I was surprised though about the firwall. It looks like the prop tip caught in the weeds and it wound up pulling the firewall out from the top. It looks like there is little holding it there other than thin top sheeting.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:18 PM
opjose

Yeah I buy pre-cut angle stock and epoxy this into all of the firewall joint points on most of my planes.

This works fairly well. Thus far more broken gear blocks than anything else for me.