Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Not to happy about my last crash, not my fualt! Nitroplanes is AWESOME, replaced this plane for me!!

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Not to happy about my last crash, not my fualt! Nitroplanes is AWESOME, replaced this plane for me!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
daubut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to happy about my last crash, not my fualt! Nitroplanes is AWESOME, replaced this plane for me!!

Well I ordered a Cessna skylane 40 kit from you guys about a month ago, got it finally put together last week and took it out to maiden it this past Sunday. Well after the pre-flight and range check I taxi her out to the runway and took off a couple of clicks to the right and couple clicks down elevator and 3/4 throttle she flew hands off. The flaps really helped with the take off but with all the wind on Sunday didn't really need them. Well heres the problem! I installed the pushrods that came with the kit, they are a little flimsy in my opinion but I installed them anyway, had some issues with them binding in the guide tubes, had to work them back and forth a bunch to get them to slide better. Well the third flight of the day everything was going well until all of a sudden I banked left to make the turn and she just kept going that direction, SMACK right into the ground at a fairly decent speed. I was like what the heck? Well after further investigation I found out what happened, the servo tray came loose! the whole damn tray was rattling around inside what was left of the fueselage. I have Hitec 65hb installed in the rudder and elevator and seems like that binding on the rod kept applying force on the servo and eventually pushed the whole servo tray forward breaking free cuasing me to loose control of the plane. I looked at the wreckage in depth after figuring out that one and the rest of the formers in the fueselage are barely in there too. What type of glue do you guys use on these planes, elmers? I pushed the f4 former with my finger and it broke free of the fuse with little effort. After further investigation all the glue used inside the fuse is the same some typ of dryed up looking chalky glue, definetly not epoxy, CA would have held better than that glue you guys used. Well after debating why and then finding out all this I am sure this was a crash cuased by poor quality craftsmanship and not mechanical assembly error, or pilot error.

This is the third plane I have bought from you guys and have been really happy with the other 2. I spent a lot of time and effort putting this cessna together and only got to fly it for maybe 30 mins total.

I talked to one off the guys in my local club last night and he said that you guys were real good about replacing items that were fualty from the factory, he told me about this forum and said I should plead my case here. I have some photos of the wreckage if you need proof.

What I would like is if you guys would send me another plane. I still have my purchase info and would be happy to send you the photos if you need.

I read some of the threads in here and to my surprise you guys have stood behind your products in the past and have replaced a few planes for people with circumstances like mine.

If you could replace this bird I would definetly be thankfull, if not I don't think I will buy another plane from you guys again, and if I do I will surely re glue all the structural connections I can get too with some real epoxy.

Please get back to me about this as soon as possible as I am interested in getting another one ASAP, if you will replace then great if not I am going to buy the great planes skylane kit instead, and will never return to Nitroplanes.com again

Hope to have good things to say about you guys after this.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:03 PM
opjose

Default RE: Not to happy about my last crash, not my fualt!

It's always a good idea to reinforce any plane you get, in any exposed surface you can, no matter who you purchase it from as much as is possible.

e.g. the H9 PTS is famous for servo blocks coming off unless the user epoxies them in place.

A little fuel proofing within the fuselage also helps to deal with things like this as well, especially when you may have otherwise missed them.

The "chalky" glue is indeed expoxy though... I've used some 30 min stuff that looks and feels exactly like the stuff that NP uses... much to my suprise. There is something in the formulation that makes it turn white when it is properly mixed. I believe it was the G.P. epoxies that looked like this when dry..

N.P has addressed this in another thread.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: I spent a lot of time and effort putting this cessna together and only got to fly it for maybe 30 mins total.

Not as much time as you wished you would have no doubt.. Weather or not you buy from them again is not important. What is important is that you apply the lessons you learned to every model you buy from now on. Why? Because it is very difficult to find one sold in the US by anyone that is not made in china.

They make some dam good "static models". Its up to us to make them airworthy.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:15 AM
nitroplanes
My Feedback: (52)

We had the cessna 40 for quite a while and have been selling them with no problem. I can not say that each and every model was created perfectly. Yes some might not 100% passed QC.

You can email me the pic and your order number and I'll see what we can do on this.

Thanks
John

ORIGINAL: daubut

Well I ordered a Cessna skylane 40 kit from you guys about a month ago, got it finally put together last week and took it out to maiden it this past Sunday. Well after the pre-flight and range check I taxi her out to the runway and took off a couple of clicks to the right and couple clicks down elevator and 3/4 throttle she flew hands off. The flaps really helped with the take off but with all the wind on Sunday didn't really need them. Well heres the problem! I installed the pushrods that came with the kit, they are a little flimsy in my opinion but I installed them anyway, had some issues with them binding in the guide tubes, had to work them back and forth a bunch to get them to slide better. Well the third flight of the day everything was going well until all of a sudden I banked left to make the turn and she just kept going that direction, SMACK right into the ground at a fairly decent speed. I was like what the heck? Well after further investigation I found out what happened, the servo tray came loose! the whole damn tray was rattling around inside what was left of the fueselage. I have Hitec 65hb installed in the rudder and elevator and seems like that binding on the rod kept applying force on the servo and eventually pushed the whole servo tray forward breaking free cuasing me to loose control of the plane. I looked at the wreckage in depth after figuring out that one and the rest of the formers in the fueselage are barely in there too. What type of glue do you guys use on these planes, elmers? I pushed the f4 former with my finger and it broke free of the fuse with little effort. After further investigation all the glue used inside the fuse is the same some typ of dryed up looking chalky glue, definetly not epoxy, CA would have held better than that glue you guys used. Well after debating why and then finding out all this I am sure this was a crash cuased by poor quality craftsmanship and not mechanical assembly error, or pilot error.

This is the third plane I have bought from you guys and have been really happy with the other 2. I spent a lot of time and effort putting this cessna together and only got to fly it for maybe 30 mins total.

I talked to one off the guys in my local club last night and he said that you guys were real good about replacing items that were fualty from the factory, he told me about this forum and said I should plead my case here. I have some photos of the wreckage if you need proof.

What I would like is if you guys would send me another plane. I still have my purchase info and would be happy to send you the photos if you need.

I read some of the threads in here and to my surprise you guys have stood behind your products in the past and have replaced a few planes for people with circumstances like mine.

If you could replace this bird I would definetly be thankfull, if not I don't think I will buy another plane from you guys again, and if I do I will surely re glue all the structural connections I can get too with some real epoxy.

Please get back to me about this as soon as possible as I am interested in getting another one ASAP, if you will replace then great if not I am going to buy the great planes skylane kit instead, and will never return to Nitroplanes.com again

Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
vancouverman

Did they replace your plane?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM
nitrostaff1

I did not get any picture or emails. Let me know
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
daubut

Sorry I have been offshore for the last 3 weeks and haven't gotten a chance to adress this. Actually I had written it off as my lost. I still stand behind the conclusion I originaly came up with this was a defective product. Ihave attached several photos of the plane some prior to crash and a few after the crash. Hard to tell from pics but the entire servo tray was loose. Here are some pics of the plane after i finished the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83215.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	641583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77815.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	641584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ub74392.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	641585  
Old 03-13-2007, 03:37 PM
daubut

Here are the pics after the crash due to the fualty servo tray gave way. Sorry they are of poor quality but I took them with my cell phone. I have a few more I will post I took with a better camera at home I will post them this evening when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88311.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	641593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80769.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	641594  
Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
opjose

That's an awfully NICE looking "defective product".

I may have to get myself one of those.

I'll just have to remember to do what I always do an fuelproof the interior, which also takes care of parts that did not get fully glued in place.... SOP for me.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
daubut

I hate to be the one to cry about it but I put a lot of effort into that assembly I hate to say build when it's an ARF. None the less the other 2 planes I bought from them (Corsair & Trainer for my son) were awesome products. Very nice construction and both flew awesome. I am about to order a couple more planes from them, time to spend some of that offshore money! I just couldn't believe that NP responded much less asked for pics and evidence, how does one prove something like this? No matter just the gesture that nitroplanes has made here in this thread makes me happy, would I be more happy if they replaced a plane I felt was defective of course but I will continue to save money and buy ARF's from them anyway. Thanks for the reply Nitrostaff1 I appreciate it and will post some better pics I have of the devestation later today.

On another note "OPJOSE" I know what a pretty plane, and what does SOP stand for?

ORIGINAL: opjose

That's an awfully NICE looking "defective product".

I may have to get myself one of those.

I'll just have to remember to do what I always do an fuelproof the interior, which also takes care of parts that did not get fully glued in place.... SOP for me.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am under the impression that the CMP planes use poor quality glue in all of the models they produce. I for one welcome our cheaply glued flying overlords!

Anyway- As OPJOSE said SOP for putting all of these models together is to glue or re-glue the critical parts just to be sure. BTW I have that same model and it is an excellent model to take to the field and kick around.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:14 PM
nitrostaff1

Actually CMP has the finest model in our entire line. I can not be sure what happened to the cessna but we did have problem with this CMP cessna at all.

daubut PM me and we;ll work something out.

Thanks
John
Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: Broken

I am under the impression that the CMP planes use poor quality glue in all of the models they produce. I for one welcome our cheaply glued flying overlords!

Anyway- As OPJOSE said SOP for putting all of these models together is to glue or re-glue the critical parts just to be sure. BTW I have that same model and it is an excellent model to take to the field and kick around.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 AM
opjose

On another note "OPJOSE" I know what a pretty plane, and what does SOP stand for?
I guess I'm dating myself...

SOP = Standard Operating Proceedure

Didn't SOP originate about the same time as FUBAR?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
oleman57guns

OPJOSE must be about my age, but i think "FUBAR" is a result of lack of "SOP". YA'LL HAVE FUN. I'LL FLY TH' SKIN OFF OF MY 'UGLYSTIK' an' jus' thank 'bout it' smore. oleman57guns
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

"I installed the pushrods that came with the kit, they are a little flimsy in my opinion but I installed them anyway, had some issues with them binding in the guide tubes, had to work them back and forth a bunch to get them to slide better"

I had a Great Planes arf that had real stiff elevator and rudder pushrods. The only way I could free it up was to install different pushrods in the existing housings. Got everything moving nice and easy. I think it's important to get that easy movement, many benefits. Not trying to bag on you. I drove it into the ground on the 2nd flight.
Learned a lot from that building and flying experience.
Good luck with the next one! I'm building another arf at the time and have run into many challenges so far.
MikeB
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
daubut

Now FUBAR I know but SOP I hadn't heard before. Working in the oil field industry we have a lot of acronymns for everything but never heard that one before and if I had I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks for all your advice on this one, I have updated my SOP manual since this happened and now have a few other steps when it comes to assembling one of these great ARF's that I will definetly do.

I have also learned that nitroplanes stands behind their products and will be happy to buy plenty more planes from them. I am waiting to hear back from Nitrostaff1 as to what they are willing to do, but just the gesture has sold me on thier customer service level.

[quote]ORIGINAL: opjose

I guess I'm dating myself...

SOP = Standard Operating Proceedure

Didn't SOP originate about the same time as FUBAR?

[/quot
Old 03-16-2007, 02:51 PM
daubut

Default RE: Not to happy about my last crash, not my fualt! Nitroplanes is AWESOME, replaced this plane for me!!

Thanks to John and the wonderfull staff at www.Nitroplanes.com they replaced this plane for and will be sending it to me via UPS!!!! I am a customer for life now!

This has got to be the best customer service I have seen in a long long time, thanks again to all the guys at Nitroplanes and all the guys here on this forum for your advice and help.

Last but not least thanks to Rcuniverse for making the connection between buyer and seller so easy to resolve issues like this and develop great consumer relationships!

I will post some pics of the new plane when it's ready to fly.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
daubut

Default RE: Not to happy about my last crash, not my fualt! Nitroplanes is AWESOME, replaced this plane for me!!

Got my replacement yesterday looks great thanks again. I will post some pics of the new plane and was considering doing a build thread on it. In the middle of buying a new house and moving so will start real soon. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
opjose

Please do.

From your photos that plane looks so much better than what you can gleen from the web site photos.

I'd love to see a build thread.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
daubut

Well I have finally gotten moved into the new house and am about to get my build area set up in the garage. Got so much to do I hate moving.
Will be doing an ARF build thread on the Cessna And will post the link here to follow!

Once again what a great company, customer service is up there with Tower, if not better!

Thanks again guys!