Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Challenger 40 pusher IC .40

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Challenger 40 pusher IC .40

Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Model Boat Mayhem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger 40 pusher IC .40

Hi Nitro Models,

Anyone answering queries on here any more, seems to have gone very quiet?!

I would also like a Challenger 40 Nitro Gas Radio Remote Controlled RC Airplane, when will they be back in stock?

....or can anybody else recommend an alternative kit from somebody else that actually has models in stock?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:02 PM
nitrostaff1

Default RE: Challenger 40 pusher IC .40

looks like the challenger will be in stock in 3 weeks.

Thanks
John
Nitro Planes
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM
theradioflyer

I have one of these from the original maker. This plane is not what I would call a fun plane to fly. You need to increase the throw of the elevator from, I think, 1/2 inch to around 1 1/2 inches to get it off the ground. To balance it I had to add a ton of weight to the nose and I did everything to keep the weight down and forward. I did fly it once and then turned it into one of my most beautiful hangar queens. I love the looks but it is not a floater ultralight. I spent $275, so for $109 you decide. I have to add if you do get it, put alot of washers under the bottom of the motor mount to angle it up. Throttle on pushes it into the ground, throttle off she pitches up hard, typical for a pusher mounted so high. I fly 3D with glow planes and felt very uncomfortable flying this plane, although I think the price I paid was a major part of the equation.

Jay
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Model Boat Mayhem

[color=#0000FF]Hi Jay,

Hmmmmm, I guess you don't work for the Challenger 40 advertising dept
I might give that one a miss then, can anyone recommend anything similar & better?

Martin
Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
opjose

What do you mean by "similiar"?

Similiar as in a Pusher?

Check out the Bobcat. It has none of these problems as it has a rather long tail moment by comparison.

But it is not a floater.

Theradioflyer:

What size engine did you use?

I'll stay away from high mounted pusher's though.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 PM
theradioflyer

I had a Thunder Tiger 46 pro with APC p10x7 and a pitts muffler, loud as heck with this set-up! I bet I could have worked on it more and made a fairly decent flying brick out of her. As it was I put a 1000mah big nicad pack as far forward as possible and added a 3x2x1 inch block of lead as far forward as possible. I've been in R/C for 17 years and know the value of not adding weight, so this was a shocker. This is such a beautiful plane though and for $109 it wouldn't stop me from trying. The flight I had with it, ( when I finally got it off the ground), was tense. I flew a pattern, then did a roll, and then shot six approaches before dumping it into the runway. If I had shimmed the motor it would have been much more successful. As it was I didn't want to damage the plane and I think it looks wonderful hanging in my shop. I believe that they re-engineered the wing so that it's much more easy to remove. Mine has about ten screws to take out to get it all apart so it was better left as a whole. Did I mention this is a beautiful looking plane?

Cheers,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75060.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	642882  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:48 PM
J Strong
My Feedback: (18)

I too just finished a Challenger and its the worst flying plane I've ever had my hands on in 40 years of R/C. Will be doing some more testing to try to figure it out, but lucky to have it after two flights. Second flight did put my 2650 lipo right in the nose, rather than on the CG, and did better but just plain weird flying, rudder was always hunting and elevator either to much or to little.
Had the real one, and it wouldn't hardly fly with the windshield on. Take the windshield off and it was a dream. Also winglets we're added to the real Challengers horozonal stab just to make it even fly with the full windshield.
Will post new reports, if the plane last long enough .
Jamie
Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Rube Goldberg

Did I mention this is a beautiful looking plane?

I think you would drool over neonwebs Morris Minor.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
sleded42

Guys,

I have to agree with you. Had one flight on it. Very short one. It took off, turned and went into the bushes. Definately gonna be one of my Display models.

Ed
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM
J Strong
My Feedback: (18)

Put you some vertical fins like vertical stabs on each side of the elevator stab and it'll fly ok, assuming you have enough weight in the nose. I'm running a 2650 TP lipo for power, and its stuck it right in the nose for weight, and with the extra fins on the stab it OK, not great, just OK.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75816.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	899461