Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

nitro models extra 330 80"

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

nitro models extra 330 80"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro models extra 330 80"

Well I could not find the thread for this plane I mean "THE OFFICIAL THREAD"

This is a very cool looking model.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ex335080arfe.html

Ok guys lets get started by discussing all the good the bad and the build up tips, engine combos,etc, well you get the picture,

Fernando

P.S

nitro guys:

When you are going to re-stock this plane?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
mr.scale

Default RE: nitro models extra 330 80"

Well I just got off the phone and they said to check in 2 more weeks
has anyone review this thing yet?

hey nitro guys send me one for a review,ah!

Fernando
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
2robinhood

I know this company has some in stock, $20 less then Nitromodels and his shipping is only $21.00 Fed-Ex.

I just bought a Rich Models Yak 54 off of him, easy and Fast shipping, BUT The canopy was smashed. It has been two and a half weeks and they still haven't returned any of my five phone calls or any of my six e-mails. I went to the manufactor of the plane, they are sending me a replacement canopy, but I had to cover the shipping ( better then a busted plane ).

As far as buying from this seller, it is cheap, cheap shipping, fast but just hope you don't have a problem. **** buy at your own risk ****

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...Code=GAS90_160
Old 08-25-2007, 02:01 PM
mr.scale

yeah some friend of mine told me about this company I cant wait to get it!!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
mr.scale

got the cash and the equip that goes with it but no plane[&o]
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 PM
2robinhood

AK models did come through with my broken part. He said that he was in Russia for 3 weeks at airshows. I still think he would have checked e-mails and phone messages for his buisness, but who knows. I part is in the hands of Fed-Ex now.
Maybe I was just unlucky, and had bad timing.
He has it, it's cheaper and only $21.00 for shipping.
Go for it.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Maine_Flyer

I have mine coming next week.. my plan is to get it in the air as cost effective as possible.. it's gonna sport a 45cc gas 2 stroke (china made) looks like the venum engine. digital metal geared servos (from china) doubling them up for elevator and rudder.. a single DX7 rx powered by a 3s2100 lipo with regulator to 6v and a second lipo and reg for the ignition on 6v.. should have it in the air for under $700.. just finished the 50 size red extra 330L to maiden this weekend with an OS55ax turning a 14x4w apc.. should have some pretty wicked torque.. I love these CMP models.. very nice quality, very durable construction and coveing finish..

hoping the 80" extra330L is just as nice an arf it'll be my first gasser.. pretty stoked!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys,

I have been looking at the Nitro RC 80" Extra with disbelieif... and my cynical side says that when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Has ANYONE seen this airplane in the flesh or known anyone who has owned and flown one?

As pointed out, this would be a super cheap IMAC or 3D plane when paired with one of the cheapo 45cc gassers on the market.
It allows a guy to try out a biggy; gasser; IMAC type plane without breaking the bank.

The weight does seem on the high side for an 80" plane. The pictures look unbelievably nice.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Maine_Flyer

finished mine a few days ago and broke in the engine.. have it ready for maiden tomorrow.. put in the 45cc FTL engine from hobbycity.. comes with a very good ignition box with electronic advance, an ugly muffler,wreches, mounting hardware and spark plug.... engine runs great and starts easy .. comes with a walbro carb that tuned it up nicely.. after 5-6 tanks it was turning a 20-10 at 7200rpm and a 22-6-10 at 6900 and gaining rpm on every tank..

weighed out at 12lbs 9oz dry.. I don't know where they got the 15 pound weight in the ad... wing loading works out at 27oz per sqft.. set mine up with spoilerons and flaperons .. I'm using 2 2100 3s lipo and regulators for ignition and rx.. both had to be mounted way up front in the engine mounting box to get the recoed CG even close... right now I'm just a tiny bit aft of that with an empty tank and a 1/4 tank puts me right on..

took a couple pics .. the color in them is waay off.. the blue is more the tone of royal blue.. much darker then the pic shows.. don't look at the mess!

I'll have a flight report tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55040.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	784579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14745.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	784580  
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 AM
davebart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maine Flyer...Your up pretty early. What is your overall impression of this plane. I have been seeing lots of their ads and getting very curious since the prices are so good. Good luck with the maiden....Dave
Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 AM
RichardGee

Indeed - inquiring minds want to know... kit quality? Hardware quality? fit and finish? and of course, flight performance!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Maine_Flyer

kit quality is excellent as is fit and finish... hardware is very good.. I particularly like the hinges with the control horn fixed to the hinge.. it puts the clevis connection right at the hinge pivot point. the only one I didn't like was that same setup for the rudder.. the angle of the control horn hits the fuse before decent 3D deflection is achieved.. more then ample for sport flying but for 3d stuff you'd want more throw..

now for the best part.. the flight report.. absolutely an awesome flyer.. turned on rails, no snapping out, no bad tendencies at all .. pulled some full speed full deflection loops and could not get it to snap out.. which was just the opposite of the 50 size same plane from NM... that thing would snap out just looking at the elevator stick.. the landings were a dream.. I setup 20% flaps and 10% elevator mix and it was perfect when I had no wind at all (small field) a 4mph headwind and I didn't use the flaps.. initial stall is a square mushy stall and the second stall would drop a wing but it was really coming slow.. I fully expected much worse stall charactoristics but I was thrilled to see how well it floated in.. knife-edge was a dream with an ever so slight tuck to the gear and very little rudder required at speed. flat spins were nice both inverted and regular.. not super flat but nice.. blenders were cool ..I didn't do any power-on blenders, just free-fall.. inverted flight required just a touch down elevator (perfect) .. uplines and downlines were sweet.. the right thrust in the mounting box is perfect.. hovers easily and torque-rolls fast for the size of the plane.. I was turning a topflight 22-10-6 and that helped the torquerolls quite a bit.. I didn't even try another prop.. the setup was sweet as pie so why mess with success.. flew almost a gallon of fuel in her, no mishaps, landings were grease.. just an awesome day at the field... I did lose one wheel pant.. they are weak where the small piece of ply is fixed to the inside of the pants .. when I got home I took them both off and reinforced the area with epoxy and fiberglass mesh from the inside... when I removed the one that didn't pop off there was cracking in the same spot.. so do reinforce those prior to install and save yourselves that headache...

one thing I found odd during the build/assembly was that there are no anti-rotation pins for the horz stabs.. just a spar and they are fastened with epoxy after sanding the mating surfaces.. it all worked out fine just thought it was odd..

my CG is 5" from the LE and it was sweet right there.. could even be more aft

happy camper here!

MF
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 PM
davebart

Thanks for the great report. I will have to look seriously at this being my next plane....Dave
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM
RichardGee

Thank you for the great report.... now... do I use my Brillelli 46 or Thor 45 in her... decisions, decisions.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Maine_Flyer

just a note to those gettng ready to build this one.. be advised to flood some epoxy on the inside of the fuse where the landing gear mounts.. just look in there and you'll see where to flood it.. both sides have a protrusion in the fuse that widens the footprint of the landing gear.. the glass there is too thin for supporting high-drag landing conditions especially with the pants on.. mine has started to show some cracking in that area.. I overshot the grass field and rolled into taller grass at walking speed and the extra drag of the wheel pants did the damage.. the gear didn't fold but some cracking was starting to show.. I just flooded a good amount of epoxy in that area and worked it up along the ply former that creates the gear mount... solid as hell now.. and took the wheelpants off.. I'll save 'em for those lookin' pretty days
Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 AM
davebart

I am fairly new to RC but the reoccurring issue I find in most planes is the weak landing gear structure. I seems that it is the most discussed problem with new planes.
I think a guy would do well to make it a habit of reinforcing
the structure with some fiberglass and mount the landing gear with nylon bolts.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
bcdiscount
Banned

I have one for sale
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=334518