Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

NitroModels 3D Extra 330L 90 - 63"

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

NitroModels 3D Extra 330L 90 - 63"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
monkeygutz69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NitroModels 3D Extra 330L 90 - 63"

Searched the forums and found one thread about this plane. Sure is pretty, but here's the thing stopping Me from purchasing it...
In the thread the guys were being conservative in engine size, (less than 91 4c). I have a new Saito 125 and even though there were some folks saying that would be a perfect size, I wonder if the 330 is capable of handling an engine this large. I mean, We all know how tourqey a big Saito is and the vibration may be another matter ,as the 330 seems delicate and light.
My question is .. Has anyone tried a Saito 125 in this beast???? Are the Nitro Models able to stand up to this type of abuse??
Thanks, Monkey Gutz
Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
opjose

Default RE: NitroModels 3D Extra 330L 90 - 63"

Yes the plane will stand up fine.

The fiberglass fuse is pretty good and well put together.

However I would be sure to add carbon support rods to the stab, least you pop the stab off in flight.... and make sure that the wings get firmly glued ( not screwed ) in place if possible... you will be stressing them.

The tail is relatively short, so getting the C.G. right is going to be a big deal. You don't have a lot of leeway.

I crashed one of these that a friend brought to the field. He did NOT have the C.G. right, so a few guys with larger Extra's "guessed" where it should go.

The plane ended up being far too nose heavy.

The pilot couldn't control it, and handed me the controls in flight.

The plane nosed down HARD when back pressure was released.

I took it nose up, and BRIEFLY let go of the right hand stick to adjust the trim.

It went immediately nose down and picked up so much speed, that when I attempted to pull back, one wing snapped off.

Later we found that one of the elevators had preceeded the wing...

Had the owner stuck with the recommended C.G. I'm sure the plane would have been fine.

Note: This puppy will snap on you when it gets slow.

Again because of the short tail. This behaviour IS desireable on aerobatic airplanes, so if you are not used to short tailed planes I'd recommend something with a longer tail such as the Giles.

The Giles doesn't snap as severely.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 PM
monkeygutz69

Default RE: NitroModels 3D Extra 330L 90 - 63"

Thanks opjose, it is really a pretty plane.I have been following the Nitro Models Yak build..I see that they fixed the elevators.I just hate the idea of buying a nice looking bird and then tearing off the covering to verify that it is built properly.
My first choice was the Phoenix 330s..about the same price,and large tail feathers..looks like it would do some serious 3-D, except the weight seemed a bit high, and it is rather plain looking. The one thing I did notice between the two is this.. the Phoenix has light ply then balsa over that and the covering...(like most sport types) and it's weight is 7.5 -7.9 as opposed to Nitro Models 330 at 6.6, which looks like lite -ply and covering....(the weight difference??)
Thanks for the tips..I am still kinda new to this,so I will do some more research... Thanks Again... Best Regards,MG