Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

New Giles 202 Version 2 71"

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

New Giles 202 Version 2 71"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
GeorgeAgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Giles 202 Version 2 71"

Hi,

Has anyone tried this beautiful plane as a 3D plane? I'm planning to get one of these powered with a Saito 180 to fly 3D. It's heavier compared with similar 3D planes, but I think the engine is capable to get it into a good 3D machine.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/give214071en.html

Any thoughts?

Regards

Jorge Medina

Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM
RumpleDogskin

Default RE: New Giles 202 Version 2 71"

Hi George,
I just recieved my Ver II. Still in box because the Stbd wing was broken in half. Called to have them replace it and they did so gladly. The bad news, they sent the green wing, Ver I wich I will send back when I get the correct wing.
It is a beautifull plane. Bigger alierons by far than the green one. ( I have both now to measure the difference.) Should be more 3D. It is nicely finished and appears to be very sturdy. The overlaping packaging of the wings however, led to the Stbd wing being broken in half where they overlaped. This is not repairable due to the elaborate designe of the covering and the fact that the spars were severed. SAD.... But it's a real nice plane and I can't wait to get it into the air where it belongs. I am planning to power it with a Super Tiger G-2300 mounted up-sidedown with a Bison muffler, inverted. @ 2.7 HP this should provide all the nuts it needs and still be economical to fly. The servo package will have std digital + 1 Hi Tourque for the rudder and a Std for throttle.
If there is anything else I can tell you, please don't hesitate to give me a hoot.

Bill Hiller
Old 10-18-2007, 02:55 PM
RumpleDogskin

Hi George,
I forgot to tell you, I'm going to use a 16-8 three bladed prop. Our field is rough and I need the clearance. I watched in horror last weekend as an emaculate EDG 540 clipped the ridge and brobe one blade off a two bladed prop. The flyer still managed to get it into the air,but not for long.... It is sure and certain that a three bladed prop, which provides the same thrust will do the same job. ie. If you reduce the Dia. by 1 or 2 inches you can increase the pitch by 1 or 2 inches. As it turns out, if you go from an 18-8 to a 16" three bladed prop, you can and should use a 16-8-3 to provide thr same thrust.

Bill Hiller
Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
GeorgeAgs

Thanks for the response!

I'm afraid to get the plane crushed as I'm in Mexico and you know how are the shipping fees...

I'm going to use it with a Saito 180 with a 17x6, a friend of mine told me to use a 18x6 but I'm not sure engine is able to move that. all the servos high torque, only throttle std.

I sold the Funtana X 100 to buy this one, I think this is even better than the Funtana, I hope!!!

Once you get it in the air let me know how it flies.

Regards

Jorge Medina
Mexico
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
RumpleDogskin

George,
They have shipped me the wings at no charge. They have to be reputable or loose business because of people like us. We can spread a no go faster than they can think. The 16-8-3 will do a better job for you!!!!!

Bill
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
GeorgeAgs

I have ordered mine, so maybe next week I'll have mine. Have you checked the weight? According to the specs, it's about 2+ lbs. heavier than Funtana, I'm afraid not getting the correct performance with the Saito 180, even I know Saito is a big engine for these planes.

As I could see in the pics, the ailerons doesn't seem to be big enough for 3D, but I don't know if physically they are different.

I hope getting mine ready in a couple of weeks,

Regards,

Jorge Medina
Mexico
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
jndgwest
My Feedback: (7)

Any progress guys, quality comments etc.? I am ready to buy one upon your commands.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
therrer

hey george and the the rest of you guys ... i bought the alien covered giles... i am putting in the 180 also and with all the reseach i have done , i have come to the conclusion that it will be more than powerful enough to pull out of hover with break-in prop (my engine is new)18-6
on the other hand the ailerons do look a little small but the wing tip is different than most giles i am not a techy but i can see a difference and the wash out is different.. i don't think this 202 is going to roll over as easy.. if you are not comfortable with 180.. try 2cy.
also move cg back about a quarter in., make it tail fat, and the prop will roll it a little quicker to recover from a stall
but seriously , 30 cc in a 12 pounder come on ! thats plenty of power and the engine is light 31oz thanks guys and good luck george

joe
Old 12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
opjose

Based upon the performance of the smaller Giles 202 ver 2.0, I doubt that roll rate will be a problem... heh.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
GeorgeAgs

I have mine on hold waiting just to be assambled... I haven't had time to do that, I have 4 more before but maybe I'll pass it forward and begin with it this week. I'll let you know the progress...

What I can tell is that all the cover, wood and construction seems to be Excellent. I think this plane is going to fly Awesome and as you tell THERRER, I think the 180 is going to be more than powerfull for this plane. I don't see any need to switch to 2cy, but next week I'll be able to tell you!

If any of you have any progress please let us know.

George
Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 PM
therrer

I had enough of you guys down south talkin about finding out how it flys NEXT WEEK !!!!!!!

i am jealous...... by next week i will have to get skis for my birds !!! I'M GOING TO BE BURIED in AT LEAST 6" of fluffy water DARN !!!!! now i have to buy a box of cleanex for my tears see ya...come to think of it ... maybe I' ll go to San Diego for the tissues ....if only my yak was 100% scale....I need Medication?!?!?

Later Guys N Gals Joe Therrerr[&o]
Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM
opjose

I've put together and flown the smaller version of this plane which is similiarly built.

My experience with it is:

As stated the construction, is very good, and most of the included hardware can be used.

The engine thrust may need a bit of tweaking. On my smaller version I noted that the nose pulls down when I gun the engine in flight, and there is a small amount of yaw or failing to track the nose during turns...

Mine had bits of the covering chip off ( my fault ) and a bit of TLC here may be warranted to avoid this. Tip guards are always advisable.

The predrilled and slotted pin hinges were welcome in an ARF of this size, as was the CF gear and pushrods.

Other than that it is pretty nice and a good flyer.

With an over sized engine it will tend not to want to come down during landings, so if you are bouncing your landings a lot, consider a lower pitch prop or smaller engine.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
SU-31 flyer

[&o] I just posted on the damaged thead that I have a broken canopy that I've been trying to get since December. I got the plane ready to go but the canopy was missing a piece on the front. Hope I get help fron Nitro soon since the canopy is all I need to finish. I like the looks of the plane it's different then my other scale looking planes. I was following the Version 1 thread and hope this one keeps growing. [&o]
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
SU-31 flyer

[&o] WAS told to PM John their so I got that done.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
nitrostaff1

A new canopy will me mailed out to you tomorrow. Thanks

John
Nitro Planes
ORIGINAL: SU-31 flyer

[&o] WAS told to PM John their so I got that done.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
SU-31 flyer

Thanks John!! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm hopeing to take it to alot of fun flys this year. When I get it done I'm going to get on that Bobcat 50 I got with it. Got all the parts for it can't wait to break open the box on it. Hope to have two nice planes to show this summer.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
opjose

You will be pleased, both are excellent planes!