Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Pitts-40 Special Design

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Nitro Models Pitts-40 Special Design

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
linkadrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Models Pitts-40 Special Design

I just puchased this plane On sale from Nitromodels and would like to here about what is some recomended Equipment to Put in the Pitts-40 Special Design.

I looked at this part of the web site and no one has done any review or anything relating to the equipment ect.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=4665

Plane Specs:
Wing span: 42.5 in / 1080 mm
Wing area: 569 sq in / 36.7 sq dm
Flying weight: 5.8 lbs / 2650 g
Fuselage length: 40 in / 1020 mm

User Requirements:
Engine Required: 4c 0.52 cu in
Radio Required: 4 channels, 5servos =

This of Course doesn't give a wide spectrum of Suggested equipment for setup for the plane as far as what type of servos work best ect. l you know we always like to overpower a model and get the best performance out of the model as we can would like to be able to hover the model and fly it like a pitts python. So suggestions would be Greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Link

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66583.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	860121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18726.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	860122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79455.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	860123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77947.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	860124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92548.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	860125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31785.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	860126  
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 AM
linkadrip

Default RE: Nitro Models Pitts-40 Special Design

It would seem theres not much Intrest in this palne for some reason.[] Sure hope i didnt make a mistake in purchasing this one And find out it has issues.[X(] Must not be a very popualr plane.[:-] I'm sure there has to be someone else that has this plane. I'm mainly intrested in finding out what servos are the best for it and engine. Probably Not to much can be said there.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
opjose

Actually there is a thread here on it where we've discussed it's strengths and weaknesses.

The red unit has a minor problem in that the struts are not straight.

You'll see this when you attempt to build it if you have the red version.

To install the upper wing you need to splay them out a bit which introduces a slight BEND to the wood.

Over time the wood will accept the warp and the plane is fine, but it is VERY disconcerting when you put the plane together to see this.

The orange version corrects this.

Otherwise the plane is solidly built but the gear area needs re-inforcement.

A high torque mini servo is required for the wings, standard servos elsewhere.

Note: Engine Required: 4c 0.52 cu in

A standard 2C .46 engine will grossly overpower this plane... ( but a .46 LA will not ).

You can use a 2C .32, or .40 standard engine and have plenty of power or even a .46 2C if you really want to go overboard.

There is plenty of room in the cowl for any of these engines.

In the air the plane is snappy as it is designed to be higherly aerobatic.... so watch your approach speed upon landing and don't pull up quickly on takeoff. I stalled the wings when I maidened it and destroyed my first one.

It snap rolls very quickly and loves to tumble in the air when pushed, just like a Pitts.

The only hardware I changed out when I built mine were the tail wheel assemblies.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
linkadrip

Thanks appriciate the Input on the Plane
Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: opjose

Actually there is a thread here on it where we've discussed it's strengths and weaknesses.

The red unit has a minor problem in that the struts are not straight.

You'll see this when you attempt to build it if you have the red version.

To install the upper wing you need to splay them out a bit which introduces a slight BEND to the wood.

Over time the wood will accept the warp and the plane is fine, but it is VERY disconcerting when you put the plane together to see this.

The orange version corrects this.

Otherwise the plane is solidly built but the gear area needs re-inforcement.

A high torque mini servo is required for the wings, standard servos elsewhere.

Note: Engine Required: 4c 0.52 cu in

A standard 2C .46 engine will grossly overpower this plane... ( but a .46 LA will not ).

You can use a 2C .32, or .40 standard engine and have plenty of power or even a .46 2C if you really want to go overboard.

There is plenty of room in the cowl for any of these engines.

In the air the plane is snappy as it is designed to be higherly aerobatic.... so watch your approach speed upon landing and don't pull up quickly on takeoff. I stalled the wings when I maidened it and destroyed my first one.

It snap rolls very quickly and loves to tumble in the air when pushed, just like a Pitts.

The only hardware I changed out when I built mine were the tail wheel assemblies.
A Pitts biplane is a design ripp-off of a masonary brick. You would not regret having some extra power. The plane will slow down very quickly when you back off the throttle and fall out of the sky. I have a Cermark 1/4 scale Pitts S2B that calls for a 1.20 2c so I will naturally be fitting it with an OS 1.60 Fx
Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

A Pitts biplane is a design ripp-off of a masonary brick.
LOL!

Oh, it's not quite that bad... well, OK it is.

That's why I lost my first one...

Pulled up at take off and I found out just how "snap happy" Pitts Biplanes are.

They don't fly, the engine merely pulls them through the air!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM
linkadrip

Very Disheartning i have only one other Biplane and its a Art tech Pitts Biplane Foamy thing Electric and it has been crashed so many times i lost count and glued back together and flown again and again. So i kinda have an idea about the charteristics of the pitts. But its to late now i got this one on the way. [&:]

I'm definetly going to overpower it going to put an evelution .46 NX i had in my Twist in it, If it will fit in there. This was kinda an impulse buy. For 88 bucks i figured well what the hell i will give the pitts another try. Probably should have gotten the other plane it was a toss up between another extra and the pitts i like biplanes so i just went for it.

I'm hoping i can get enough power in this little plane were it will hover and be able to pull out of it.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 PM
monstertruckman
My Feedback: (39)

mr67stang
the 1.20 4stroke flys the cermark pitts very well
A freind has one with a os 1.20 and it is a very good flying pitts it will do anything you throw at it
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
linkadrip

What Does that have to do with this little 40 pitts Monstertruckman???[sm=angry_smile.gif]. Thread is not about the Cermark pitts.I want to know what flys good with the little Pitts Challenger 40 Whole point of this thread. My favorite plane is a pitts Python from CheifAircraft INC. But it has nothing to do with this one. Except that is how i want this one to fly.

But i dont think that is possable unless you change the desighn of the tail feathers and make it longer two different plane desighns. No lets sick to what makes this little 40 fly the best.[sm=50_50.gif]

Maybe there are some other people out there that have one and have some different setups with 4 strokes in the little plane. [sm=idea.gif]Still havent figured out what the emoticon means[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

I'm definetly going to overpower it going to put an evelution .46 NX i had in my Twist in it, If it will fit in there. This was kinda an impulse buy. For 88 bucks i figured well what the hell i will give the pitts another try. Probably should have gotten the other plane it was a toss up between another extra and the pitts i like biplanes so i just went for it.

I'm hoping i can get enough power in this little plane were it will hover and be able to pull out of it.
While we're lightly bashing the characteristics of ANY Pitts, as they are not very stable flyers, this is exactly what makes them so attractive for acrobatics.

As long as you remember to treat it like it has a higher wing loading than it actually does, then you'll do fine with it.

You shouldn't have any problem either side mounting in inverted mounting the Evolution but the muffler may be an issue.

I used a Tower Hobbies .46 with a Bisson Pitts ( of course ) muffler on a Dubro anti-vibration mount. This worked pretty well in terms of fitting and looking good.

Remember though you will not be able to hover the Pitts. The aileron surfaces are not in the prop wash and the tail is VERY short.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Mr67Stang

While we're lightly bashing the characteristics of ANY Pitts, as they are not very stable flyers, this is exactly what makes them so attractive for acrobatics.

As long as you remember to treat it like it has a higher wing loading than it actually does, then you'll do fine with it.

You shouldn't have any problem either side mounting in inverted mounting the Evolution but the muffler may be an issue.

I used a Tower Hobbies .46 with a Bisson Pitts ( of course ) muffler on a Dubro anti-vibration mount. This worked pretty well in terms of fitting and looking good.

Remember though you will not be able to hover the Pitts. The aileron surfaces are not in the prop wash and the tail is VERY short.

I will have to disagree with opjose on this point. I've seen trainers hover and their ailerons are inefectual in prop wash alone as well. It will just be harder for you to hover a Pitts as oposed to say an Extra.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
linkadrip

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I will have to disagree with opjose on this point. I've seen trainers hover and their ailerons are inefectual in prop wash alone as well. It will just be harder for you to hover a Pitts as oposed to say an Extra.

I would just like to see if it's possable to get this little Pitts to fly like this one does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckB7SZSrqY

I'm not real big on the hovering thing anyway, but i think it would be neat to have the little pitts fly in this manner. Of course the pilot flying this bigger pitts does have alot more experience.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Mr67Stang

Firstly, everyone wants to be able to fly like Bill. Second, Bill's Pitts does not have scale control surfaces like the one you ordered.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:08 PM
opjose

I dunno.

I have no problems hovering planes with ailerons in the wash and with longer tails.

When the ailerons are out of the wash the planes tend to torque roll and I am really more or less "hanging" the plane from the prop.

I find the small Pitts practically impossible to do either as it tends to roll out.

But yeah Bill H.'s Pitts is a different beast.

He's not really hovering his plane as much as he's "harriering" it in the video.

With a slight headwind it's much easier to harrier a plane, and the wind makes the plane seem to stay over a fixed point on the ground.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:47 PM
linkadrip

Well i guess if it flys that all that matters. I'm not into the hovering i just like it when the plane has the power to Perform well. Guess i will have to see what i got. Suppose to be here on the 28TH. Kinda hard to know what you got till you get it lol. I'm sure the one Bill is flying Has been customized quite a bit. I thought it might just be a larger version of the same plane.

As long as you remember to treat it like it has a higher wing loading than it actually does, then you'll do fine with it
I'll give it my best shot lol.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
CatamaranMan

Hi linkadrip, Stumbled onto this thread today and also was looking at the same Pitts on Nitro Models site for $85.00. I am interested in converting this one to brushless if thats possible but i havn't had a chance to crunch the numbers yet. I also have a Cox Christen Eagle foamie that i love to fly, so far no crashes, and I thought this would be a nice step up. I noticed you were supposed to get yours today and am really interested in the quality of the kit. Please let me know what you think when it comes in....Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 01:56 PM
opjose

I have the red one.

The ARF is pretty good especially considering the price.

You'll want to re-inforce the wheel areas and swap out some of the hardware.

On the red version the purposeful "warping" of the struts is unnerving, but they seem to be OK otherwise.

The orange version seems to have this problem cured or at least it doesn't have as much of a forced warp.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
CatamaranMan

Thanks for the info opjose, it sure looks nice in the photos..........now I need to figure out how to pay for the big brushless, esc and lipo pack!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
linkadrip

Well i got my Pitts today finally. It's the Orange one and was packaged very nicely covering has no wrinkles in it witch is a plus considering all the other ARF's i have gotten had wrinkling in there covering. Total price with shiping was $108 not to bad.

Requires two wing servos micro size and three standard servos according to the manual so 5 servos total. Brefily looked at it just to make sure there wasn't any damage and that all the parts are there. appears that they are but wont know till i take it all out of the box.

UPS was a little on the late side today but tommarrow i will know more and take some pictures of how it has come in the box.
But So far i'm pleased with the purchase.[8D]

This will be the engine that's going in it.[&:]

Name:	Zu66251.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	864179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31271.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	864180  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
linkadrip

Some pics of how it came in the box

Name:	Jh14572.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	864525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24383.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	864526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13554.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	864527  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
opjose

The engine should fit nicely side mounted.

The installation of the struts is going to cause you a bit of concern as they have to be bent slightly to get them to fit.

The wood will accept this though and conform to the change.

Just tighten each side a little at a time, making sure the wings stay square as you do so.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
linkadrip

I have the Orange plane. In this post you stated that it is corrected in this version of the plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6967602

But i will keep it in mind while assembling the plane just in case it wasn't fixed.

I understand it must have been a frustrating part of the build of the plane.[X(]

And appriciate the advice
Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
opjose

The struts still have to be splayed out when you install them.

In the Orange version it's not as bad though.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM
linkadrip

Thought i would add what Terriable Instructions this plane has with it. i'm trying to figure out if i'm going to need a Y connector for the Aelerons seems to me i would have to. the plane is 4 channels but i'm going to be puttting an 8 channel receiver in it i think. So i could connect each wing servo to a seperate channel but have to program it in to the radio to work that way and wouldnt want the spoleron function working that would be bad i think [X(].

Instruction should be more clear i have to say that is the downside But for the price what can you expect.

Good thing i know a little About Rc Planes, i feel real bad for a Noob to rc buying this plane.

Dang it wont let me edit out the double copies of pictures [:@]

Name:	By76567.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	865678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64866.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	865679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87989.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	865680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99849.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	865681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25102.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	865682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88016.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	865683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46561.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	865684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73896.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	865685  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43131.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	865686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48426.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	865687  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
opjose

You should see the instructions for KMP and other planes if you think these are bad.

Compartively speaking these are stellar.

My CMP Yak has a single sheet of paper.... that's it.

Spoilerons don't really work on this plane.

Just use a Y connector. It will suffice.

BTW: I do have a variant of it for G3 up on the KE swap pages.... though it requires the add-ons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.