Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Extra 330 90-63" Build & Review

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Extra 330 90-63" Build & Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 330 90-63" Build & Review

Folks,

Heads up for anyone interested, I'm going to begin an Extra 330 90-63" Build and Review tomorrow night. I'll probably conduct it in three parts. I'm actually to the maiden flight point, but the weather has been uncooperative.

I'm doing this because I've had several great ARFs from NMs, John has been a tremendous help, and I feel the product is a better product then sometimes reflected on these pages.

So, stay tuned ... a peep thus far - this is a great little model! Attached is a teaser photo!

Thanks,
Nitro Dew

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72194.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	917905  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: Extra 330 90-63" Build & Review

It seems like there was a lot of bashing of NM lately. I don't know how John puts up with some of it. The one a couple of weeks ago wanted John to replaced a damaged motor & other stuff AFTER the dude crashed the plane. I guess that's part of doing business nowdays. Let us know how your plane does. Good Luck
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Nitro Dew

Thanks Outdoorhunting ... I have a fairly detailed build, photos and review for posting. It will be fun! In my humble opinion, I believe many folks fly these models too fast and underutilize throttle management. They're built light, sometimes needs strengthening and mostly, proper flying. Most of these models are not built for speed ... I see a lot of abuse at my field. Anyway, I'll get the build post started tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
EvaderMaster

That extra looks sweeet
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Nitro Dew

Part I:

Time to get started on the Extra 330 90-63" Build and Review. This is a first time build post for me, I will do my best to include all the details, although if I miss anything of interest, please let me know and I'll address it.

First off, I chose this model due to its size, perfect for a four stroke 90 I had laying around, although after weighing the model and not flying it yet, a 70 might do the trick.

After ordering the 330, it was at my door in four days and I was almost unprepared to build it ... like most of us, too many projects going at once. The ARF was packaged very well inside two boxes (one inside the other) and there was zero damage. The boxes are strong and it was a good thing, one side had been hit hard enough to tear a hole in the box, but - no damage. I removed everything, unwrapped and inspected top to bottom as usual. I immediately noticed a few things - this ARF is extremely light and has some fine strengthening touches I have not seen before on ARFs this inexpensive. The entire structure seems to be well constructed: engine mounting area looks tough, turtle decking is foam for lightening, the vertical stab is made into the fuse, the wing roots actually recess into the fuse somewhat with two dowls as guide pins, then secured with a nylon bolt. Thus it seems all the pressure isn't just on the bolt, but the fuse helps hold the wings as well. Unlike most of my more expensive models, all of the stabs are airfoiled, the canopy and cowling are well constructed, the cowling is fibergrass, strong painted landing gear with a bit of flex and tough looking wheel covers. The covering is beautiful and there is no doubt which is the top and which side is the bottom.

The items of concern: if your in high grass, you may want larger tires; the covering seems thick, although it shrunk out very smoothly, lots of ending points in the various colors to seal down - no biggy; I'll get to it later, but I replaced the clevices - they didn't hold the rods tight, and lastly, this is a light plane, fly it fast and it will probably explode. It isn't meant for speed, weighing in at 3.5 pounds without the engine, servos and electronics, although with everything else installed. More to come ...

Name:	Ec88333.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	918705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77855.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	918706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11732.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	918707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99398.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	918708  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Nitro Dew

Part I: cont.

The parts with the 330 ARF are good and I used everything except the clevices. Some clevices were tight, although I had a couple that pulled off the rod, so I replaced them for insurance. Any clevice of your liking should work. Other items I didn't mention previously are that the ARF comes with pull-pull for the rudder and a long dowl with rod connectors in order to set one servo up for the elevator.

Starting out I dry fitted all sections and screws or connectors. Everything fit nice and snug and the only thing that was off was one canopy bolt, although all it took was a bit of pressure on the canopy to get the bolt to pop right in. After pulling everything apart, I coated the front firewall with a fuel proof and spent the night ironing and trimming the hinge slots. The minor wrinkles came out easily and the covering can take some serious heat, but as always, be careful or it's too late. Next were the hinges. The slots were not very disernable and took a few minutes to prep, but no big deal. I've had to do similar things on other ARFs. The hinges are round, which I've never used round type hinges, but oh well, I tried them anyway. I wicked the CA in as usual and they seem to have held very tight. Everything lined up well and measured out almost perfect. Almost forgot, I did place the horizontal stab in prior, which goes in glued as most - no problems here. I always wick a little CA in on both sides of the hinges. Checked and moved all surfaces afterwards wit no problems.

Four more photos attached: 1. The first you can see down the fuse with the foam in the top of the turtle deck and the bottom lightened with minimal balsa. 2. The wing attachment area showing the aluminum rod tube, the two dowl tab holes for alignment, wires holes and the nylon screw hole. 3. A look at the rear of the fuse and the hole for the horizontal stab, which gets glued in. And 4, a look at the front construction area. As with all my ARFs, depending on the area, I'll strengthen the joints with CA or 30 minute epoxy, and this model isn't any different. It doesn't look like the builders limited the glue at all, although it just makes me feel better.

Anyone with this model please chime in. I would like to hear how it went for others and since I have yet to maiden it due to weather, Although I'm looking forward to flying the 330.

BTW - as with many of the ARFs, the instruction booklet isn't the best. If you have built an ARF before, you will not have a problem, although this isn't recommended as a first plane. Also, I believe the CG is way off. If anyone has experience with the CG on this model, I would like to hear where the ideal CG may be.

More to come ...

Name:	Rp44470.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	918903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85260.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	918904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66150.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	918905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25909.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	918906  
Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Nitro Dew

All,

I'll continue this build today ... I thought this plane would get more response. Does anyone else have experience with it?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 PM
antiquefer

Nitro Dew. I have this plane in my shop waiting for me to start building. I have built other NMP planes , and this one looks to be built better than most of them. reglueing all joints is a real good idea. I have opted to use Robart pinpoint hinges. I put the round ca hinges in a Yak, and had them seporate. What I mean is that the fabric wick material on the outside seporated from the plastic core. They came out clean. Just a round piece of clear plastic. First time I ever encountered this. I will power this plane with a YS 91. Should be plenty. I agree with you about throttle managment. These planes are very light........................antiquefer.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Nitro Dew

Folks, I'll have this back on track soon, little thing called "work" got in the way.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
obie1
My Feedback: (76)

NitroDew,
I to have this plane on my building table. I am satisfied with all parts of the plane. Stabilizer is a little loose in the slot, but should still be no problem gluing in. I have a new Magnum 91 four banger going up front. Also seen same plane with a nice electric motor in it. Guy says its awsome in the air. Looking foward to reading more of you build.
Thanks
Rich O.
Conneaut Ohio

Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Nitro Dew

Alright, Im back! Way too much work ... Obie1, I believe electric in this model would be great, it's so darn light. I'm trying the four banger to see how it works out. I'll be back within a day or two to get this build back on track. Thanks for your patience if you're interested in this build.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got this plane with a SuperTigre 90 converted to gasoline/spark ignition on it. Plenty of power to spare. I'll measure the CG tonight, I don't honestly know where I have it. I just took it out to the field with lead weight and started adding until it flew like I wanted it to. I can tell you it's farther back than the plans call for but it would most likely be too far back for most pilots likings. I kept moving it back until with 50 degs of elev travel it would do a real tight water fall. It wouldn't even do a waterfall with the CG in the location called for in the plans. It was more of an outside loop. I'll check it tonight and see where it is.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
webglider

Hi All,

Very interested to come across this thread.

My Extra 330 actually arrived in the post today.

Just taken it out of the box, and everything looks good.

A bit of extra glue is going to be required around some of the internal formers and the canopy frame.
A little attention is also going to be required on the covering to stop a couple of bits of trim coming off... but no problems there.

I plan to put a second hand YS110FZ in mine so power shouldn't be any problem, given proper use of the left stick!

As for the hardware, I already have some upgrades planned.
- Pete Tindal Carbon pushrods and fittings.
- Tettra Fuel tank
- MK Dual elevator drive (shame the pushrods slots had already been cut in the trim - but easily sorted).
- MK Anti Vibration Beam Mount

As I fly at a noise sensitve site in the UK, I might see if I can squeeze a hatori cooling pipe in as well, but this
may require a little minor surgery.

Given the price of the model, I have to say I'm really impressed.

Anyone with any information on the flying characteristics, CofG, etc I would be extremely interested.
Also any experience with the "build" or potential "gotchas" would be welcome.

I purchased mine from www.rcartf.co.uk who are extremely accomodating and very helpful.

Already flying one of their 90 size F3A [link=http://www.rcartf.co.uk/stri.htm]"Striker"[/link]
with almost identical upgrades to the ones I propose for the Extra and its brilliant.
Flys like a dream and flatters pilots of any level.

Look forward to other peoples thoughts on the extra.

Web
Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 PM
ws61000hp
My Feedback: (4)

Hey everybody,

I've had two of these already the first one I crashed doing low knife edge passes with the radio in programing. I was programing the rudder to elevator mix and pushed the button to hard and the plane went out of control and almost crashed on the flightline. No one was there but me- opps!! I had about 20 flights before the crash. It flew really good and had no bad habits it does a good knife edge,blenders ,elevators and inverted harriers.
The plane flies good slow or fast and looks great in the air. It looks good on the ground too. The CG is way wrong. I'm using a super tigre 75 ( italian made) and a master airscerw 12/8 three blade, dx7 ar7000 ds821s and a hitec 635 on rudder& 475 on throttle. I put the throttle servo in the motor mount behind the engine, a standard servo fits there perfect. my cg was on the wing tube with the battery just behind the gas tank, battery is four cell jr 2700ma. the CG is 4 3/4 (4.75) from leading edge of wing. I just finished it today and was just checking to see if someone had finished and flew theirs yet. For 153.00 shipped its not bad. The manual sucks and the covering isnt the best ,but you cant see the wrinkles in the air.

I hope this helped someone and you wont be dissapointed.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 AM
wit-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Extra 330 90-63

I have got striker without manual. Would you help me? Send some pictures- I dont know how fix elevator serwo( one or two)/
Witold
Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
webglider

Re Striker.... PM me with your email address. I have an old electronic copy of manual I can send you.

I had elevator driven by a "dual-elevator drive" and a single carbon push rod with ball links.
[link]http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/products/product.php?prodID=593&manID=&keyword=&catID=&subCatID=173[/link]
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 AM
paulzzr1200

I missed placed my manual. could you please send via e-mail. [email protected] I need the CG and travel of the controls.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

Updates on the build?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
paulzzr1200

I have 2 flights on the Extra 330. The plane did not fly correctly. I had way too much movement on all the controls. I installed 2 servos near the tail. Toremove the elevator push rod setup. Might be tail heavy????using my 8103 JR Pro the second flight was better. But, before the third flight I need to correct the control movements and make the correct CG location. I need to make myself feel better to have the correct setup!!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
toolman49

What happened to post guys? I was hopeing to watch this build progress as the manual suck's. has any one flown this plane and if so with what engine ? How does it fly? Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
paulzzr1200

The 330 90-63 flys real nice. Take off is a snap. I only have trouble landing. Seems to be a bit of a floater. Iwill drop the prop from a 10 pitch to 4. I had to drop the power to the point my 91 4 cycle cut off. Just a note: 91 4 cycle is over kill for power on this plane. The plane does need some motor drive to keep it flying not a trainer. I will move the CG back. I have it on the wing screw just before the the wing tube.4.75 or 4 3/4 is about the wing mounting screw. I guess I might be nose heavy. That is the way the plane seems to be flying. a very fast on landing. Also I'm replacing the wood motor mount with an ISO mount and installing a fire wall. The engine is way out there. If the prop touches the ground you will brake something in the noise area!!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 PM
paulzzr1200

The tail wheel needs to be replaced (junk) make your own or replace with a CG tail wheel, do something. Mine bent every landing.