Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

New Edge 540T -46 Wing Span 52"

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

New Edge 540T -46 Wing Span 52"

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
fredira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Edge 540T -46 Wing Span 52"

I have 3 flights on mine so far. I'm still tweaking it out. The Saito 82a has great power. Take off is 1/3 throttle. I had to mount my receiver battery
next to the throttle servo . Which is located at the rear of the canopy compartment. I'm still a little nose heavy. I added 1/4 ounce next to the battery but have not got the chance to fly it again. I can tell you this, it flys in a very straite line.
Persision rolls. High rates was all I could get. Low rates are about 5/8 of a inch on Aileron and elevator. I gave the rudder a little more. No expo on low rates. On high rate about 65% on all controlls. Thats a good starting piont.
As soon as I get it balance the way I like it, I will shoot some video and post it here.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
lotech

Hello,Guys,
My friend has one of these W/Saito 80 14X4 APC.One word AWESOME!!!
There might also be some video on you tube by patiotruck.
Good luck to all, Bruce
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
fredira

I can not find the video.
Are you sure it is under patiotruck ?
I found other videos from patiotruck
just not one of the 540 edge.
Thanks Fred
Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM
lotech

Sorry,Man I thought he did 1,im sure it is patiotruck he's a friend.
I'll ask him for sure today and get back to you.
Bruce
Old 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Phatcigar

I bough 0ne about 3 weeks ago and of course the directions were for the 50cc model so I had to put it together with out them. The wheel they suppy were junk and to small and I had to iron a few spots of the covering back on and give it a once over with the heat gun to shrink it up but the plane looks real nice when put together. I like to put big motors in my little planes so I put a Thundertiger Pro .61 in it and it fits very nicely. It flies great and looks great in the air. Very responsive and you will need to add a little Expo to it for the first few flights. It will hover and climb nicely but I have to admit it does need some speed to land smoothly. Great looking and Great flying plane.

Here is a few pics of mine with the TT Pro .61 and the Slimline Q Pitts muffler. (it sounds really nice)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36152.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1051923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16865.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1051924  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to order one of these...i'd still like to see soe video anyone can put fourth.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:23 PM
imattr

Hey all,

I also got the wrong directions... Can someone please post the correct CG...

Thanks,
Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Blue Note

ORIGINAL: imattr

Hey all,

I also got the wrong directions... Can someone please post the correct CG...

Thanks,

My instructions state the CG should be 124mm ( 4.88 in) behind the LE measured where the wing meets the fuselage. I cannot confirm or deny if this is the ideal CG, just what the manual states. Good luck.

Still waiting for some video of this thing somewhere.

DISREGARD THESE FIGURES, I TOO WAS ISSUED THE WRONG MANUAL. SORRY.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Blue Note

So... After all this time, does anyone have much in the way of a flight report or videos? If so, what was you setup and weight? What have you found that you liked or disliked about the plane and kit? What did you, or what would you, do different? If starting a build today, what advise would you give someone to avoid any short comings and pitfalls?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
raden201

Hey I'm trying to find the proper CG point for the .46 size Red Bull Edge 540T.. Can anyone tell me what it is . I've already did the math, but i don't think it's right (3 3/8 in.) is this right !?!? Please help
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Blue Note

Check a couple postings up. It is as stated from the manual.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
raden201

I was just wondering if anybody needed tech. tips for the Edge 540T Red Bull 52" w.s. plane. Just finished mine and let me tell you that it is one of the best .40-.50 size planes that I have. I am also one of those guys that has more NitroPlanes aircraft in my hangar than any other namebrand. I have three flights on my bird, and have to say that it has alot of pip. I used an O.S. 55AX for the powerplant with a APC 12/7 prop. I mounted the engine at a 45 degree angle, so the exhaust is out the bottom.I used the engines backplate screws a guide to line up with the cross hairs on the firewall. The exhaust will be slightly off center, don't worry 'cause it does not effect balance wing tip to wing tip. It has enough power for a continuos up line but no authority. I mounted the 5-cell nicad to the firewall with rubber and velcro strapping. I used the stock tank (280cc) and mounted that as far up in the firebox as possible. Actually the neck of the tank sticks through the hole in the firewall. I mounted the throttle servo in the center servo opening mid-fuselage, and a Sullivan Gold-n-Cable(#515) for the linkage. I also changed out the supplied wheels for Du-Bro wheels that a slightly larger. **A little note: check the glue in the gear area and re-enforce as necessary, Mine were light on the glue in this area. NOW THE FUN STUFF..... C.G. for this plane seems to be almost dead center of the wing tube. After doing many hours of math, my figures said @ 3 3/8" from the L.E. by the fuse sides. I figured it was OK. The very first flight needed some up trim on the elevator. Once that was dialed in, I only needed 2 clicks of left aileron for arrow straight tracking. This plane flies very very good with this set-up, but I don't know yet about how it will do 3-D. Next time out will give it a try. If the 55AX doesn't have enough umph...I'll put in my trusty O.S. .70 4stroke with a pitts, and re-balance. The build for this plane was pretty staight forward, even without the proper manual (I received the ones for the 50cc Giant 80+ w.s.). The covering was applied really well. I forgot to mention earlier that I mounted both the elevator and the rudder servos aft fuse. If you can't see where, look inside the body. You should see where the factory double plyed the servo openings. You will have to cut the covering in front of the tail group and use 12"servo extensions for each. IF Anybody has ANY questions about any planes listed below from Nitro, feel free to reply..... .40 Ultimate Bipe, .50 Silver Mustang, .60 Miss Amer. Mustang, .25-.30 Mosquito. 88" Yak 54 w/DL 50. Thanks for checking this out !!!! Vince. P.S. I would like to commend NitroModels for supplying a very good product at a very competitive cost. I would also like to say that any GOOD modeler should go over the entire plane, for safety sake more than anything else. A few extra minutes spent on your ARF making sure everything is good, is just good peace of mind! Blue Skies to everyone. PEACE OUT !!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Blue Note

Thanks for the input and report. I'm about to begin building mine and this info may help. One thing that I did notice is that there is very little bevel on the controls, so you cannot deflect the surfaces much before bottoming out, unless you allow MUCH more gap, which I hate. I like to fly with a ton of throws for 3D stuff and have found it needed for entering many maneuvers. I am considering cutting away the covering and addressing the lack of bevel to allow me to maximize the throws. I have contacted NitroPlanes about what kind of covering they use ( specifically the blue ) so I can recover and reseal the control surfaces to match the original scheme, but never received any reply or acknowledgment. I hate to make it look worse before I even fly it. I'm planning on putting a YS63s in the nose to make noise and hopefully pull it around with authority with a tank on the CG. After flipping the bill for a whole new set of high speed/high torque servos, I don't want to cut corners with cosmetics. It seems to be a well built ARF for the most part. Thanks for the input and if I have any more questions or comments, I'll let you know.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: raden201

I am also one of those guys that has more NitroPlanes aircraft in my hangar than any other namebrand.
Glad to see that I'm not alone!

ORIGINAL: raden201
I would also like to say that any GOOD modeler should go over the entire plane, for safety sake more than anything else. A few extra minutes spent on your ARF making sure everything is good, is just good peace of mind!
Yup... a bit of common sense and EXPERIENCE applied to the construction of these ARF's goes a long way to assure many good flights.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 AM
raden201

In response to control throw deflection, I also like my surfaces with as little gap as possible. So... I made the gap as minimal as possible without any mods. And believe me, there is plenty of deflection for 3-D flying. My suggestion is to build the plane as is... and fly the snot outta it. The rudder has plenty of throw, the ailerons have about 1 3/4" deflection on high rate which make it corkscrew like no tomorrow, and the elevator has about the same. During set-up, I recommend that you use plenty of expo. I did notice that the binding wire for both elevator halves( you Know... the one bent in a C) is a little light, and flex's , causing un-predictable snaps. A heavier wire would probably correct this. I did not mention earlier that the all up flying weight is about 6.3 lb.. If you need contol throw measurements please contact me. thanks again....And BLUE SKIES.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Blue Note

I wonder how much difference there is kit to kit. The front of my elevator is almost square, and when you push it up in to close the gap, you only get about 1/2" elevator deflection before contacting the TE of the horizontal. stabilizer. That is what lead to me looking at the other surfaces. That and on my other planes I found there were several maneuvers I could not initiate without a short burst of HIGH throws, and I am hoping this plane to be even more capable than its predecessors. I appreciate the input. Eventually, I will get over to the work bench ( about 5 feet away ) and actually build this thing, but I have been dragging my feet over these little, but important, issues as far as I'm concerned. BTW, just curious about the AUW, do you think that is about as low as you could get it and it still stay together, or do you consider it built solid. Let's face it, it seems pretty stout from the factory. Thanks.

BNC
Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
raden201

Hey Blue....Glad to see someone following my build. THANKS !!! You were correct to question the deflection on the elevator sorry! The travel is @ 3/4" at most on mine. Went flying today, really windy but oh well BLUE SKIES. 2 flights. This plane is really a good plane. It has full potential for 3-D or extreme aerobatics. I changed the prop down 1 size to a 11by8. Great thrust, better pull-out, and transitioning. 10 times better than the 12by7. With the set-up that I mentioned earlier, and the prop change,I expect this to be my go to plane for some time to come! WELL DONE NITROPLANES!!!!!! You will have a loyal patron for some time to come. Keep up the good work. And besides, I like a little tinkering on my planes. It makes me feel like it's not totally an ARF. Oh yeah... this plane is made fast too.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Blue Note

Yeah, I like EXTREME throws on any plane I might want to 3D with. I like to do flips, not just loops. I guess I'm going to have to cut the covering and bevel the TE of the horizontal and vertical and then do some kind of patch job that doesn't ruin the appearance. I'm leaning toward the APC 14x4 prop with my YS63S, but time and testing will tell. I might try the stock wheels, even on our grass field, as they are lighter than most alternatives that I have looked at. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Blue Note

So, now some time has passed, I realize that I too was supplied with the wrong manual for this plane. Seems to be NitroPlanes SOP. Raden201, did you find the CG at 3 3/8" to feel correct after some more flights? Have you tried moving it since? I set up right on the edge of tail heavy, so I was wondering about your experiences to date.

BNC
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
raden201

Hey Blue, I have put some flights on since, and really love this airframe!! Actually I put the C.G. at the center of the wing tube, next to the fuselage. Marked with small pieces of stripe tape. I have not moved C.G. yet nor do I think I will. It flies very well at this spot. The plane seems to be at almost 0. I have noticed that there is some flex in the linkage rods and would recommend replacing with stiffer rods. The measurements I gave were my own computations, and I can't be sure if they are correct. But they seem to be close. I will post some video as soon as the weather breaks (rain). Well Blue I hope this helps!? Write back and let me know. BLUE SKIES!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
raden201

Hey Blue, I also Think that the Blue covering is the same as Great Planes' 27% Edge 540. It looks really close. Check it out and tell what you think!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Blue Note

I think it is pretty close. Great Planes uses Monokote if I recall. I just picked up some blue Monokote that is 'close enough'. In the hinge line it won't stand out, but a large patch job would show. Thanks for the heads up about the close match. I had pretty much given up on any help from NitroPlanes.

BNC
Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
imattr

I found this in a manual on their website. It has the same specs so the cg should be the same. The balance comes to dead center of the wing tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56107.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1140716  
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Blue Note

Cool!. Thanks for posting that. It seems most of us have been sent the wrong instruction sheet.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 PM
raden201

We'll some time and many flights have passed. I still love this plane !!! What a great airframe. After two close calls and some very minor repairs, I've decided to upgrade the power plant with a O.S. 70 4-stroke with a pitts muffler. Although the 55 ax was a great engine with great power , I had to do something with the 70 I had laying around. And .....why not fit it to the airframe and see what she has!!! I haven't flown it yet but with the gound runs and tach readings of @ 11'700 with a APC 12by6. CAN'T WAIT!!!!! The cut outs for the 70 weren't much different than the 55. Just needed to make a few extra clearances. Cowl still looks good ! Well I'll keep you updated. Till then BLUE SKIES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.